How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Around 10F supposed to get down to 5F or so overnight in Queens, NY.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on January 30, 2019, 02:57:06 PM
Zero degrees Fahrenheit and colder here in central Ohio!

I LOVE this weather!!!  8)  (No sarcasm!)

In the winter of '63, a snowstorm hit with temperatures of -10 to -20.  One of my school friends called and said "Let's go sledding at the orphanage!"  (The orphanage was a Catholic one perched on a high hill (Dayton is on the edge of Appalachian foothills in the northern edge of southwestern Ohio.)

My mother was skeptical, but said only: "Make sure you bundle up!"   I recall not staying very long (a 6-block walk or so through drifted snow) but...it was fun!   

Now the nanny's on television are warning everyone to say inside, huddle in a corner, wrap blankets around yourself, drink hot cocoa, etc. etc. etc.  To be sure, my adventure did not involve much wind, but I do not believe "wind chill" had been invented in '63!    ;)   So it was no problem!

Yes, I find the winter invigorating, exhilarating!   Summer to me is somewhat depressing, especially if it is warmer than 75 or so.   ???

Sounds fun! (totally being sarcastic) ;) I can't stand cold weather. Well, to be certain, anything below 25°F is too cold for me. I think the perfect temperature for me would be between 65°F and 70°F. Summer is depressing for me, too. It's so hot here and it's the worse kind of heat you can have, a heat with a high humidity. Talk about feeling like your roasting over an open flame. :D

Biffo

Cold and damp here in Bournemouth, UK. No sign of snow yet but some possibly expected later. I was in Bruges, Belgium over the weekend and it was cold and raw, intermittent heavy rain and a chilling wind - Bruges still looked beautiful though.

pjme

Indeed, Bruges can be beautiful in winter.
Today, here in Antwerp, it is very sombre, cold & wet. The last snow disappeared.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 30, 2019, 08:39:18 PM
Sounds fun! (totally being sarcastic) ;) I can't stand cold weather. Well, to be certain, anything below 25°F is too cold for me. I think the perfect temperature for me would be between 65°F and 70°F. Summer is depressing for me, too. It's so hot here and it's the worse kind of heat you can have, a heat with a high humidity. Talk about feeling like your roasting over an open flame. :D

We lived in Atlanta for 10 months some years ago: huge mistake on all kinds of levels, although my wife enjoyed the lack of a "real" winter.  I believe it went down to 32 degrees once, while we were there.  With great relief we were able to come back to Ohio.

I still recall going to a high-school football game there in early September.  The temperature was about 65 degrees, and so my wife was wearing short sleeves and pedal pushers, and I had a short sleeve shirt on.  Most of my colleagues had coats and hats and - yes! - even gloves on!

One of them looked at us in complete disbelief, as if we had just come off the Mother Ship from Ice Planet Hoth, and said: "Aren't you cold?!"   8)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Quote from: pjme on January 31, 2019, 01:34:10 AM
Indeed, Bruges can be beautiful in winter.
Today, here in Antwerp, it is very sombre, cold & wet. The last snow disappeared.

Thanks for the beautiful picture of Antwerp, I must visit some day.

pjme

That picture is not recent.

Today is more like this:

Papy Oli

Olivier

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on January 31, 2019, 01:59:08 AM
We lived in Atlanta for 10 months some years ago: huge mistake on all kinds of levels, although my wife enjoyed the lack of a "real" winter.  I believe it went down to 32 degrees once, while we were there.  With great relief we were able to come back to Ohio.

I still recall going to a high-school football game there in early September.  The temperature was about 65 degrees, and so my wife was wearing short sleeves and pedal pushers, and I had a short sleeve shirt on.  Most of my colleagues had coats and hats and - yes! - even gloves on!

One of them looked at us in complete disbelief, as if we had just come off the Mother Ship from Ice Planet Hoth, and said: "Aren't you cold?!"   8)

Your second mistake, with living in Atlanta being your first, was going to a a high school football game. ;) ;D Anyway, 65°F is nothing. That is jeans and t-shirt weather for sure!

JBS

Quote from: Cato on January 31, 2019, 01:59:08 AM

In contrast to that, a lady I went to high school with here in Fort Lauderdale now lives in Colorado with her husband.  Like her, he is a native of Florida.
When it snows, he shovels the driveway dressed in t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops.  And has done so for all 30plus years that they have lived there.

But having gone to college in Atlanta, I can say that snow there is rare enough, and the terrain hilly enough, that driving is no pleasure there when it does snow. 

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 31, 2019, 07:46:47 AMBut having gone to college in Atlanta, I can say that snow there is rare enough, and the terrain hilly enough, that driving is no pleasure there when it does snow.

The driving is no pleasure when it doesn't snow. One of the worst cities for traffic in the Southeast. Like, for example, if you have to be at work at 8 AM, you need to go ahead and get there three hours early, because, otherwise, you'll be be three hours late for work.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2019, 07:50:52 AM
The driving is no pleasure when it doesn't snow. One of the worst cities for traffic in the Southeast. Like, for example, if you have to be at work at 8 AM, you need to go ahead and get there three hours early, because, otherwise, you'll be be three hours late for work.

Fortunately for me, I had no car and never needed one thanks to MARTA.

But I have endured worse traffic jams in Miami, Houston, and the DC area.  In the afternoon rush hour, the whole stretch of I95 from about fifteen miles south of Baltimore to thirty miles south of Alexandria is one long crawl.  When I worked in Miami, I purposely stayed an hour late every day at work, and arrived home at the same time I would have arrived if I left work on time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 31, 2019, 07:57:49 AM
Fortunately for me, I had no car and never needed one thanks to MARTA.

But I have endured worse traffic jams in Miami, Houston, and the DC area.  In the afternoon rush hour, the whole stretch of I95 from about fifteen miles south of Baltimore to thirty miles south of Alexandria is one long crawl.  When I worked in Miami, I purposely stayed an hour late every day at work, and arrived home at the same time I would have arrived if I left work on time.

Yeah, but have you been in Atlanta in the last 15 years or so? You'd be whistling a very different tune now.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2019, 07:09:32 PM
Yeah, but have you been in Atlanta in the last 15 years or so? You'd be whistling a very different tune now.

No. Not been back since graduation in 1980.

And to add to the absurdity, I had a minor accident that will put the car in the shop (literally a fender bender, and the other driver is no doubt convinced it was my fault as I am convinced it was hers). Thank God nothing seems hurt that was not a fender.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 31, 2019, 07:16:25 PM
No. Not been back since graduation in 1980.

And to add to the absurdity, I had a minor accident that will put the car in the shop (literally a fender bender, and the other driver is no doubt convinced it was my fault as I am convinced it was hers). Thank God nothing seems hurt that was not a fender.

That stinks! Good to see nothing happened to you and you are alright. The last accident I had cost me around $450 around 8-9 years ago. I forget the exact circumstances now.

greg

Was -20F Wednesday morning so worked from home. Way too much for someone who used to think 40F Florida winters were horrible when waiting for the school bus in the morning.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2019, 07:50:52 AM

This was 12 years ago, but we had parents who literally got the kids up at 4:00-4:30 A.M. to get them to our school by 7:30.  A 25-mile drive could take 75 minutes to 2 hours, depending on accidents and weather, usually the former.

And why did they live so far away?  They could not afford the million-dollar dumps near our school! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on February 02, 2019, 03:24:12 PM
This was 12 years ago, but we had parents who literally got the kids up at 4:00-4:30 A.M. to get them to our school by 7:30.  A 25-mile drive could take 75 minutes to 2 hours, depending on accidents and weather, usually the former.

And why did they live so far away?  They could not afford the million-dollar dumps near our school!

:P

Quote from: greg on February 01, 2019, 10:37:48 AM
Was -20F Wednesday morning so worked from home. Way too much for someone who used to think 40F Florida winters were horrible when waiting for the school bus in the morning.

Yikes! :o Yeah, it's going to take some getting used to for sure, but since you weren't born into cold winters, I'm not sure how many years it's going to take to get used to the weather.

JBS

It seems several of our members will be in for some heavy weather the end of this week