How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

I was in Paris for Heat Wave 1 which was less severe than predicted. Shortly after I came home Heat Wave 2 arrived, and that was really bad.

My next trip to Paris will be in May, I think. It won't matter much if it's warmer or colder than expected.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

I survived the bomb cyclone. There are leaves all over the street. Last night the power flickered infinitesimally with no interruption to the MSNBC screed in the background while I was saving the world.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

Last weekend we enjoyed one of the most gorgeous Thanksgiving weekends I can recall  :)

Today:gusting winds, pouring rain, felled trees, power failures. And 15cm of snow in some areas expected tomorrow  ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on October 17, 2019, 04:02:19 PMToday:gusting winds, pouring rain, felled trees, power failures. And 15cm of snow in some areas expected tomorrow  ???

Sounds like the welcoming of the long Canadian winter is ahead. :)

Mirror Image

Snow is falling and I expect around 3-4 inches. I don't expect this snow to last much longer, though. It's supposed to freeze over tonight when the temps drop even more. As a consequence, I didn't go into work today. I definitely would be afraid to drive if the snow ends up icing over tonight (I work the 2nd shift).

Irons

I imagine other parts of the world would laugh at 80 mph winds but I am worried. They usually cop it up north but this is forecast to hit the South East at 6am Sunday morning. A carefully erected metal frame covered by a net to keep birds off my broccoli is likely to take off and land at anyone's guess! 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

JBS

Quote from: Irons on February 08, 2020, 09:09:44 AM
I imagine other parts of the world would laugh at 80 mph winds but I am worried. They usually cop it up north but this is forecast to hit the South East at 6am Sunday morning. A carefully erected metal frame covered by a net to keep birds off my broccoli is likely to take off and land at anyone's guess!

In my part of the world 80mph is a Category 1 hurricane. Far from the worst weather, but definitely nothing to laugh at.  Forget about your broccoli net, and check on your roof.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Hope the broccoli survive. We're trying to maintain the Dunkirk spirit here  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 08, 2020, 08:22:28 AM
Snow is falling and I expect around 3-4 inches. I don't expect this snow to last much longer, though. It's supposed to freeze over tonight when the temps drop even more. As a consequence, I didn't go into work today. I definitely would be afraid to drive if the snow ends up icing over tonight (I work the 2nd shift).

Do you no longer live in Georgia, John?  If you do, I must say, surprising weather. It stayed above freezing here in East Texas, not much, but enough. Cold, windy, rainy... better now though.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 08, 2020, 11:31:55 AM
Do you no longer live in Georgia, John?  If you do, I must say, surprising weather. It stayed above freezing here in East Texas, not much, but enough. Cold, windy, rainy... better now though.  :)

8)

It's actually not surprising to get weather like this as I live in the NE part of the state. What would be surprising, however, is if the snow stuck around for a week. But it's usually gone by the next day. I have to say the National Weather Service got this one wrong as they only predicted heavy rain, but their forecasts in Georgia are usually Atlanta-centric and often don't consider there are other parts of the state. ::)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 08, 2020, 11:38:19 AM
It's actually not surprising to get weather like this as I live in the NE part of the state. What would be surprising, however, is if the snow stuck around for a week. But it's usually gone by the next day. I have to say the National Weather Service got this one wrong as they only predicted heavy rain, but their forecasts in Georgia are usually Atlanta-centric and often don't consider there are other parts of the state. ::)

Ah, gotcha. I've been close by there before, drove on I 20 to Birmingham, turned north on I 59 to Chattanooga, and then to Knoxville etc. When I was approaching TN from AL, one could look to the right and behind a little bit and see Stone Mountain, IIRC. It was certainly not down in the flatlands, you knew there was the potential for some wintry weather there.

They got our prediction here pretty right. It only got to 35 while it was still raining, so when it got down in the high 20's later on, the precip was gone. So that was good. :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 08, 2020, 01:22:01 PM
Ah, gotcha. I've been close by there before, drove on I 20 to Birmingham, turned north on I 59 to Chattanooga, and then to Knoxville etc. When I was approaching TN from AL, one could look to the right and behind a little bit and see Stone Mountain, IIRC. It was certainly not down in the flatlands, you knew there was the potential for some wintry weather there.

They got our prediction here pretty right. It only got to 35 while it was still raining, so when it got down in the high 20's later on, the precip was gone. So that was good. :D

8)

Very nice. There are certain points where I live where the Appalachians are clearly visible and in the horizon. I've never been to Texas before. The furtherest west I've been has been Louisiana. I'd like to get out to Texas at some point. The state is practically a country within itself.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 08, 2020, 01:47:20 PM
Very nice. There are certain points where I live where the Appalachians are clearly visible and in the horizon. I've never been to Texas before. The furtherest west I've been has been Louisiana. I'd like to get out to Texas at some point. The state is practically a country within itself.

I don't flatter us when I say "Louisiana is the South; Texas is the West". It is surprising how you can note the difference as soon as you cross the Sabine River; the terrain changes, the vegetation changes, and damn sure the people change! :D  That said, however, the cities are like big cities anywhere in America, maybe a bit cleaner and more spread out. If you are interested in countryside though, there is plenty of it!  :)

8)

Holden

After a couple of months of 'fire weather' the tables have turned. We've had consistent rain since Thursday and it looks as if this is going to continue well into next week. This is Australia folks, as Dorothea Mackellar opined in her patriotic poem 'My Country' - "...a land of drought and flooding rains."

The rains have affected most of eastern Australia and all the bushfires will have been extinguished before the sun rises tomorrow.
Cheers

Holden

steve ridgway

We made it round a park with the dogs a couple of hours ago when it was wet and windy enough but now the rain is really lashing down and the wind has just destroyed a fence panel >:(.

Iota

Four of us running idiotically down Piccadilly earlier in the wind and rain to the Royal Academy. I gave up and dragged everybody into a high end clothes shop where we had to pretend to be interested in expensive suits until the rain passed.

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 09, 2020, 02:15:39 AM
We made it round a park with the dogs a couple of hours ago when it was wet and windy enough but now the rain is really lashing down and the wind has just destroyed a fence panel >:(.

The last time we had high winds here (N.London) the patio fence was absolutely trashed, and the neighbourhood had to endure the sight of my very Heath Robinson response to the situation for a while. There's a kind of back passage serving three houses that acts like a wind tunnel mercilessly seeking out any weaknesses, and recently I had the fencing and gate replaced by some not so confidence-inspiring builders, so was very relieved when it withstood the onslaught.

steve ridgway

Looking at the weather forecast we might have to leave the row of bins blocking the dogs' entrance to next door's garden till Wednesday before risking a spare fence panel. Loud thunder with lightning about an hour ago but at least no flooding unlike some places not too far away.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 08, 2020, 04:21:50 PM
I don't flatter us when I say "Louisiana is the South; Texas is the West". It is surprising how you can note the difference as soon as you cross the Sabine River; the terrain changes, the vegetation changes, and damn sure the people change! :D  That said, however, the cities are like big cities anywhere in America, maybe a bit cleaner and more spread out. If you are interested in countryside though, there is plenty of it!  :)

8)

Indeed. I've read a good bit about Texas and there's wide-open country for days. I wouldn't mind going to Austin and San Antonio. Strangely, I don't have much interest in Dallas.

DaveF

We in the UK are enduring the second "named storm" within two weeks - last week it was Ciara, with damaging winds and flooding, this weekend Dennis, with perhaps less wind although considerably more rain and even worse flooding.  Heartbreaking pictures on the news of whole communities in Wales and the north of England under water.  Luckily for me I'm OK here, but the river (Usk) in town is over its banks, Brecon (20 miles upstream) is badly flooded and a small village near here (Skenfrith) has been evacuated.  I allegedly moved house on Friday, but so far my wife is stuck in the new property and I'm in the old one (luckily in the circumstances not sold yet).  We are being told not to travel unless absolutely necessary, but a spouse trapped by floodwater (again, luckily, not actually flooded) and down to her last half-bottle of Prosecco is pretty damn serious, if you ask me.

But there is a wryly funny side: this weekend Abergavenny Symphony Orchestra were supposed to be putting on our annual orchestral workshop (Elgar 2 this year), conducted by our much-loved and soon to be retiring chief conductor, Dennis Simons.  I expect if we reschedule it for next week it will fall victim to Storm Edward...
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

vandermolen

I think that a helicopter air-drop of Proseco might be needed. Hope you both keep safe. We are up a hill here but only 30 miles from the coast and Storm Dennis made its presence felt last night. The council were out very early last week cutting down the branches of a tree (immediately outside the house) which had fallen into the power/telephone lines outside.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).