How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Some very high rivers round here but still inside the big banks.

JBS

It seems the hurricane season is starting a bit early this year.

By about this time tomorrow, it may have reached tropical storm status. The name will be Arthur.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Torrential rain just now. The garden needs the water as it has been unseasonably hot. As a Hay Fever sufferer I don't like it at all. We went out for a walk on the South Downs this morning - luckily got back just in time. Now I shall relax and read the Sunday Times with a nice glass of red wine - although I'll probably be given an onerous domestic chore before long. Worryingly my wife has been saying, disapprovingly, 'are you texting your music group again?' whenever I'm on my iPad.
:-\
PS there is now a storm going on. BBC Weather suggest that this might be the case around 4.00pm, so they don't always get it wrong.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

As of June 7 at noon, my locale has had 7.2 inches of rain for the month.  That's an inch a day.

For perspective, our year to date total is 32 1/4 inches.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

TheGSMoeller

Jo498

More like April than June. Moderately warm, very unpredictable with occasional rain showers but overall not too bad.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Was horribly hot and humid a few days ago, but now thankfully, it's much cooler, sunny, and crisp...delightful!

We did also get a good downpour several days ago....needed the water, so pleased about that!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Amazing weather in Helsinki! They say this will become the warmest June since 1961*!  :o  8)

* Juri Gagarin happened to visit Finland that summer.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 22, 2020, 06:13:16 AM
Amazing weather in Helsinki! They say this will become the warmest June since 1961!  :o  8)

[Goes outside in t-shirt and shorts and realizes it's still too f****** cold!] :P

Pohjolas Daughter

Amazing weather in Helsinki! They say this will become the warmest June since 1961!  :o  8)
How warm did it get for you today?  I see (according to weather.com) that it's supposed to get up to 73 tomorrow.  Is that an abnormal high for you?  Sounds lovely to me!  What are normal temps for you this time of year?

Supposed to get into the 90's today here.
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 06:35:27 AM
How warm did it get for you today?  I see (according to weather.com) that it's supposed to get up to 73 tomorrow.  Is that an abnormal high for you?  Sounds lovely to me!  What are normal temps for you this time of year?

Supposed to get into the 90's today here.

As you may know, Helsinki is located in the southern Finland by sea (Gulf of Finland) which has a cooling effect during the first half of summer before the sea water warms up and temperatures are typically a few degrees higher in "inner" Finland. It can be nice in Helsinki in June on a few days, but it can also be cold (something like +10°C/+50°F). Something like +18°C/+64°F is typical. Today it was +21°C/+70°F and it will get warmer this week so +23°C/+73°F for tomorrow is correct. Thursday should be +27°C/+81°F which is "hot as hell" for us and in inner Finland even +32°C/+90°F is possible. June in Helsinki is like winter in Florida.  ;D

+23°C/+73°F is not abnormally high in June, but typically rare, much more common in July when the cooling effect of sea has ended. Now we are having a lot of warm days in June which is "abnormal."

+32°C/+90°F is about the warmest I have experienced in Finland. AC is a bit rarity in Finland for obvious reasons (but central heating works miracles in the winter) and warm weather makes apartments really hot. I have +29°C/+84°F inside at the moment.  :P

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on June 22, 2020, 07:49:09 AM
As you may know, Helsinki is located in the southern Finland by sea (Gulf of Finland) which has a cooling effect during the first half of summer before the sea water warms up and temperatures are typically a few degrees higher in "inner" Finland. It can be nice in Helsinki in June on a few days, but it can also be cold (something like +10°C/+50°F). Something like +18°C/+64°F is typical. Today it was +21°C/+70°F and it will get warmer this week so +23°C/+73°F for tomorrow is correct. Thursday should be +27°C/+81°F which is "hot as hell" for us and in inner Finland even +32°C/+90°F is possible. June in Helsinki is like winter in Florida.  ;D

+23°C/+73°F is not abnormally high in June, but typically rare, much more common in July when the cooling effect of sea has ended. Now we are having a lot of warm days in June which is "abnormal."

+32°C/+90°F is about the warmest I have experienced in Finland. AC is a bit rarity in Finland for obvious reasons (but central heating works miracles in the winter) and warm weather makes apartments really hot. I have +29°C/+84°F inside at the moment.  :P
Hi dB,

Thank you for the further details.  Your Finnish summer temps are lovely as far as I am concerned--normally anyway.  Agree though, anything over 80 feels hot to me these days....though my nightshades love it and I, them!  By the way, is a lot of the gardening/farming in Finland done in things like high tunnels and greenhouses and not certain what else....thinking in terms of vegetables and fruit that need warmer conditions to grow and produce well?  Or are a lot of things like that imported from other European countries and elsewhere?

I did see an article on the BBC's website today about conditions in the Arctic Circle having higher than ever temps.  https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53140069

Gave in and turned on the A/C today.  Are A/Cs units readily available for purchase in Finland?  Or hard to come by?  It sounds like central air conditioning isn't though.  Do you have some decent fans?  They can help a great deal.

Stay cool (and hydrated!),

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

The Low countries: it will be far too hot this week - about 32°C. 
We had a few unusually fierce rainstorms.
The combination of all the Covid problems, another scorching summer, water shortage and failed harvests ....is deeply disturbing and frightening.

vandermolen

To hot for me in the UK this week. They are predicting 27-30 degrees C. Most people probably love it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

Amazing weather in Helsinki! They say this will become the warmest June since 1961

Apparently in eastern Siberia, north of the Arctic Circle, they've been having temperatures of 35°.  (I know that's probably about the same distance from Finland as Brazil is from the UK, but it shows that something is very wrong in the Arctic regions and thereabouts.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 03:42:23 PM
Hi dB,

Thank you for the further details.  Your Finnish summer temps are lovely as far as I am concerned--normally anyway.  Agree though, anything over 80 feels hot to me these days....though my nightshades love it and I, them!  By the way, is a lot of the gardening/farming in Finland done in things like high tunnels and greenhouses and not certain what else....thinking in terms of vegetables and fruit that need warmer conditions to grow and produce well?  Or are a lot of things like that imported from other European countries and elsewhere?

I did see an article on the BBC's website today about conditions in the Arctic Circle having higher than ever temps.  https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53140069

Gave in and turned on the A/C today.  Are A/Cs units readily available for purchase in Finland?  Or hard to come by?  It sounds like central air conditioning isn't though.  Do you have some decent fans?  They can help a great deal.

Stay cool (and hydrated!),

PD

Yep, the Northern Finland has been hot. We have AC units of course available to buy but they are not popular because the hot periods are so short typically. I have a fan, but it circulates hot air so it doesn't help much.

I'm afraid you are asking the wrong guy as I know very little about agriculture, but obviously greenhouses  are used to produce certain things and of course bananas, coffee beans (Finns drink most coffee in the World), coconuts and other exotic things are imported.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on June 22, 2020, 11:58:32 PM
The Low countries: it will be far too hot this week - about 32°C. 
We had a few unusually fierce rainstorms.
The combination of all the Covid problems, another scorching summer, water shortage and failed harvests ....is deeply disturbing and frightening.
PJME,

What happened with the harvests?
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DaveF on June 23, 2020, 01:33:04 AM
Apparently in eastern Siberia, north of the Arctic Circle, they've been having temperatures of 35°.  (I know that's probably about the same distance from Finland as Brazil is from the UK, but it shows that something is very wrong in the Arctic regions and thereabouts.)
Dave,

I know!  Scary news.  I don't know whether you saw it or not, but I had linked to an article on the BBC's website earlier?

Speaking of which, I need to move the soaker hoses...

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 01:10:41 AM
To hot for me in the UK this week. They are predicting 27-30 degrees C. Most people probably love it.

I don't love it, 20 degrees is fine for me.

pjme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 23, 2020, 04:43:40 AM
PJME,

What happened with the harvests?

I should have written:  another scorching summer means water shortage (for the third year in a row) and will lead to failed harvests.
Ground water levels are already alarmingly low - for the third year in a row.

Peter