How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Close to perfect here, about 25-27°C with a light breeze and cool nights and mornings. There was quite a bit or rain last week and earlier, so I think that at least my region is not in danger of drought. It's supposed to get warmer towards the weekend but I doubt we will hit 30°, so still not too hot.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on June 23, 2020, 04:30:51 AM
Yep, the Northern Finland has been hot. We have AC units of course available to buy but they are not popular because the hot periods are so short typically. I have a fan, but it circulates hot air so it doesn't help much.

I'm afraid you are asking the wrong guy as I know very little about agriculture, but obviously greenhouses  are used to produce certain things and of course bananas, coffee beans (Finns drink most coffee in the World), coconuts and other exotic things are imported.  ;D
I guess I was thinking more of what I think of as common things that one could grow with much more protected conditions like tomatoes, peppers and maybe eggplant for folks that live in northern climes vs. things that grow like in the tropics...like bananas. ;-)
Quote from: pjme on June 23, 2020, 09:12:00 AM
I should have written:  another scorching summer means water shortage (for the third year in a row) and will lead to failed harvests.
Ground water levels are already alarmingly low - for the third year in a row.

Peter
.Ouch!  Three years in a row?   :(

Quote from: Jo498 on June 23, 2020, 09:59:48 AM
Close to perfect here, about 25-27°C with a light breeze and cool nights and mornings. There was quite a bit or rain last week and earlier, so I think that at least my region is not in danger of drought. It's supposed to get warmer towards the weekend but I doubt we will hit 30°, so still not too hot.
Glad that you are comfortable!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 23, 2020, 10:22:27 AM
I guess I was thinking more of what I think of as common things that one could grow with much more protected conditions like tomatoes, peppers and maybe eggplant for folks that live in northern climes vs. things that grow like in the tropics...like bananas.

Sure, tomatoes and eggplants are grown in Finland, but also imported.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on June 23, 2020, 11:21:33 AM
Sure, tomatoes and eggplants are grown in Finland, but also imported.
Must admit, it's the gardener-grower in me that likes to know how people in cooler climates cleverly grow things.  All kinds of new technology these days along with different tricks for keeping warm-weather plants happy.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 23, 2020, 12:29:37 PM
Must admit, it's the gardener-grower in me that likes to know how people in cooler climates cleverly grow things.  All kinds of new technology these days along with different tricks for keeping warm-weather plants happy.   :)

PD

I think it comes down to having the types of tomatoes etc. that are fine with colder weather (I don't know the terminology...) Nowadays you can even genetically modify and what not... but of course you can do it biologically, concentration, refinement, selective breeding... whatever the correct term is...I told you I don't know agriculture...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on June 23, 2020, 02:26:07 PM
I think it comes down to having the types of tomatoes etc. that are fine with colder weather (I don't know the terminology...) Nowadays you can even genetically modify and what not... but of course you can do it biologically, concentration, refinement, selective breeding... whatever the correct term is...I told you I don't know agriculture...
[/quoteThat's o.k. db, if I feel further compelled, I'll do some googling.   ;)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 24, 2020, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: 71 dB on June 23, 2020, 02:26:07 PM
[/quoteThat's o.k. db, if I feel further compelled, I'll do some googling.   ;)

Best wishes,

PD

As part of the potato family blight is a major problem with growing tomatoes. Blight resistant types have been cultivated and I have grown Crimson Crush for the last three years. Far as I am aware the one element for the successful production of toms is sunshine. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 25, 2020, 07:21:22 AM
As part of the potato family blight is a major problem with growing tomatoes. Blight resistant types have been cultivated and I have grown Crimson Crush for the last three years. Far as I am aware the one element for the successful production of toms is sunshine.
Yes, sunshine IS very important!  This year, I'm growing 2 X Jet Star (a reliable one and very popular), 1 X Big Beef (don't think that I've grown this one before but was recommended to me by a farmer), 1 X Green Zebra (a really cool looking and tasty green-striped tomato (in a large pot--am going to try trellising it) and 2 Dwarf varieties (1 each of Cyril's Choice and Confetti).  Miss not having cherry tomatoes, but as far as I know, those all turn into huge and sprawling plants!

Next year, I'll check and see if anyone is growing Crimson Crush around here....or maybe order some seeds--if I get organized in time!

Stay cool!  And drink plenty of water too.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Temps in the 90s (Fahrenheit) but the humidity will push the "feels like" to over 100.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

We've had no water in the village since last night due to a burst water mains. Great in the current baking temperatures! The water authority have at least delivered bottled water to the village.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Lousy July, hot and summerly August - pretty much sums it up here in DK ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2020, 09:19:56 AM
We've had no water in the village since last night due to a burst water mains. Great in the current baking temperatures! The water authority have at least delivered bottled water to the village.
??? :o  So sorry to hear that Jeffrey.  How are the repairs going?

Hot hear too though not as bad as what I've been hearing from you gents in Europe!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2020, 09:19:56 AM

I saw that on the BBC website. Gary Walker, from Warninglid, said he had been forced to "manually remove waste from the toilet and bury it in the garden". ???

steve ridgway

We've been having thunderstorms and heavy rain showers the last few nights. It's been high 20s and unpleasantly humid  this week but looks like it might be starting to return to normal soon :).

Biffo

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 12, 2020, 08:12:40 PM
We've been having thunderstorms and heavy rain showers the last few nights. It's been high 20s and unpleasantly humid  this week but looks like it might be starting to return to normal soon :).

Same here on the south coast though even hotter. The last four days have been hot, overcast (most of the time) and humid. Just a few minutes ago it finally started raining with distant rumbles of thunder. Hopefully, it will be a cooler night.

Pohjolas Daughter

I noticed on the BBC website that there's a chance of flooding rains now after the heatwave and drought?   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Belgium: still swelteringly hot at around 35° C. Clouds are forming. We may get another thunderstorm and heavy rain - for a short moment.
It is very unpleasant.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 12, 2020, 10:38:56 AM
??? :o  So sorry to hear that Jeffrey.  How are the repairs going?

Hot hear too though not as bad as what I've been hearing from you gents in Europe!

PD

Thank you PD for the characteristically thoughtful enquiry.  :)
The water company reported last night that they had 'completed the repairs' but there was still no water due to air locks in the system.
The water final came back on a couple of hours ago but whether it lasts remains to be seen. We are expecting heavy storms with thunder and lightning very shortly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 13, 2020, 06:37:18 AM
I noticed on the BBC website that there's a chance of flooding rains now after the heatwave and drought?   :(

PD

Yes, sadly there was a fatal train derailment in Scotland due to a landslide.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2020, 07:04:58 AM
Thank you PD for the characteristically thoughtful enquiry.  :)
The water company reported last night that they had 'completed the repairs' but there was still no water due to air locks in the system.
The water final came back on a couple of hours ago but whether it lasts remains to be seen. We are expecting heavy storms with thunder and lightning very shortly.
Yay water!  Are you worried about old town pipes?  Hope that your power stays on!
Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2020, 07:07:18 AM
Yes, sadly there was a fatal train derailment in Scotland due to a landslide.
Oh, dear!  I noticed an article about a train derailment in Scotland, but hadn't yet read it.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter