Brrrrrr....!

Snow on its way here too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Maybe an hour with some lovely sunshine here today, following just one hour totally in December so far, due to cloudy weather.

Mild today as well, so far no snow this winter, and very little frost.

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 16, 2020, 05:14:48 AM
Hopefully no flooding?

Fortunately no flooding where I am but there have been warnings for elsewhere earlier in the week but, as yet, no actual floods. It has now stopped raining, for a while.

SonicMan46

Below our 10-day forecast through Christmas - chilly at night, not much rain, and NO snow on Christmas Day in Piedmont, North Carolina - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Well, our winter storm warning got pushed out to 10pm tonight.  the forecast is 9-15" possible between now and 1pm tomorrow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

The biggest snowstorm in living history in Madrid. It started yesterday, and it's still snowing.

The metro is operating, but buses are not running, the airport is closed, and train connections are suspended.

It's supposed to stop snowing later today, but temperatures are expected to drop further, so the disruptions will probably persist for several days.

People skiing on Gran Vía, one of the main streets in the city centre.

A section of the M-30 (the inner ring road of the city). Some people have been stuck in cars on the M-40 (the outer ring road) since 7 pm yesterday (i.e. for some 18 hours now).

Biffo

Quote from: ritter on January 09, 2021, 03:16:39 AM
The biggest snowstorm in living history in Madrid. It started yesterday, and it's still snowing.

The metro is operating, but buses are not running, the airport is closed, and train connections are suspended.

It's supposed to stop snowing later today, but temperatures are expected to drop further, so the disruptions will probably persist for several days.

People skiing on Gran Vía, one of the main streets in the city centre.

A section of the M-30 (the inner ring road of the city). Some people have been stuck in cars on the M-40 (the outer ring road) since 7 pm yesterday (i.e. for some 18 hours now).

You have my sympathy, I hate snow. It looks pretty but rapidly becomes a pain in the neck, especially in places that rarely have snow.

ritter

Thanks, Biffo. Yes, it was nice to walk around my home in the snow (I live in the city centre), but I think this "cuteness" will wear thin soon, and the coming days will be unpleasant.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on January 09, 2021, 05:10:31 AM
Thanks, Biffo. Yes, it was nice to walk around my home in the snow (I live in the city centre), but I think this "cuteness" will wear thin soon, and the coming days will be unpleasant.
How much snow have you received so far?
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

About 18 inches, PD. Something unheard of here....

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on January 09, 2021, 06:30:11 AM
Wow!  What would be a common amount during your winter?

In the States if an area like Washington, DC gets a couple of inches of snow, it basically shuts down; not enough equipment for plowing, sanding/salting and even worse, a number of people who don't know how to drive in snow!

Stay safe,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 09, 2021, 11:14:56 AM

In the States if an area like Washington, DC gets a couple of inches of snow, it basically shuts down; not enough equipment for plowing, sanding/salting and even worse, a number of people who don't know how to drive in snow!

Stay safe,

PD

My brother lives near Raleigh, NC. That's exactly what he says  ;D

Mandryka

Quote from: ritter on January 09, 2021, 06:30:11 AM

Yes I just heard on the news about the gusts, les bourrasques. Sounds wild!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on January 09, 2021, 11:24:25 AM
My brother lives near Raleigh, NC. That's exactly what he says  ;D
I've seen pictures/stories about it on the news for years!   ::)  You would think, at least for the capital region, that they would have more equipment/preparedness training, etc., non?   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 09, 2021, 11:14:56 AM
In the city of Madrid, for the past 20 years or so, we've had 1 or 2 days of snow each winter, but it rarely stays on the ground. Every 5 or so years, we'll get a "snowstorm" (for our standards)  that'll leave 2 or 3 inches maximum (and will wreak havoc in the city). What we had between yesterday and today had not been seen since 1971, apparently.

André

Interestingly, our own 'snowstorm of the century' happened in 1971  :o.

Iota

Quote from: André on January 09, 2021, 01:40:47 PM
Interestingly, our own 'snowstorm of the century' happened in 1971  :o.

In the UK one of the worst blizzards happened in 1978 in the South West, which is exactly where I happened to be, learning to parachute!  ::)

We ended up stranded for a week in a cold, remote Royal Marine building on Exmoor, which was half buried in a 20-foot drift, where we had to sleep in parachutes (rather warm!) and live off cereal and a few bits and bobs that had been left in the kitchen.
We were eventually helicoptered out, after spending a week doing little else but dig out various stranded farm animals and, um, eating cereal. The helicopter bit was kind of fun though.