How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

We finally got a bit of wintery weather here in DK, though less so in the capital, but with snow, frost and wind. In some parts of the country, people are now advised to remain indoor, because of snow storms, and to reduce strain on rescue work. Some youngsters were also rescued from a lake by helicopter, when they ventured on a long walk into rather thin ice. Overall it's fairly modest compared to countries experiencing harsher winter conditions, though. It's now less often we get really hard conditions, though I remember some in my childhood, where villages would become isolated for days. They say that in the future, snow will be even more rare.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 08, 2021, 09:32:07 AM
We finally got a bit of wintery weather here in DK, though less so in the capital, but with snow, frost and wind. In some parts of the country, people are now advised to remain indoor, because of snow storms, and to reduce strain on rescue work. Some youngsters were also rescued from a lake by helicopter, when they ventured on a long walk into rather thin ice. Overall it's fairly modest compared to countries experiencing harsher winter conditions, though. It's now less often we get really hard conditions, though I remember some in my childhood, where villages would become isolated for days. They say that in the future, snow will be even more rare.
It's important to have snow--both for the moisture and also protects plants from harsh freezing weather and cold winds.  I hope that snow doesn't become even more rare for you--for all of us.

A bit more snow here recently (did a round of shoveling today) and possibly more in the near future.  As a silly aside, a friend and I went for a very short walk along a river.  We sat in the sunshine for a while watching some ducks swimming around in the water.  Sometimes a few of them would venture out onto some thin wet ice...slipping as they went along...before getting back into the water.  I suspect that they did much better at keeping aright than I would have!  😂 :)  Not a tumble from any of them as far as we could see.  Must be those webbed feet.  :D  Fun to see them in the water too when their heads go below surface and their little wiggly tails stick up.  And watching them take off, fly for a bit over the shimmering water and then go skidding into the water again.  It felt good to get out into the sunshine and nature and see things that made us smile for a change.  🦆🦆🦆 ❤️

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Must be great having a real river close by! We've had glimpses of sun too, and when the wind softens, I'll cycle out to enjoy the scenery a bit. Work and almost all shops are on lock-down, so a lot of sparetime ... Here in the city, we just have some tamed and quiet canals of varying smallness, and some lakes in parks. They're well populated with birds of course, but nowadays the official policy is for people not to feed them. One guy however is well-known for having made friends with a lot of wild herons in the Frederiksberg Have gardens, and they eagerly wait for him and land on his arms, picking up food. The city's sea front, more of a strait, is of course very built up and domesticized, so for any ~wilder scenery, it's a longer journey from here ...

Mirror Image

On Saturday night, we had some atrocious weather conditions --- snow + some sleet and all of it had stuck since it was below 32°F. During this time, I was at work, but went with my gut and asked if I could leave two hours early and so I did. It was hellacious driving home and I had a panic attack that thankfully subsided. This was mainly due to my inexperience with driving while its snowing. I slid on some ice a few times, but nothing came of it as I was able to stay on course until I got home. Running into a cluster of cars who were going as slow as dripping molasses didn't help either, but I was able to get around these cars. I know this is nothing for many members here who were raised in these types of conditions (long, snowy winters), but for a Southerner like me, it was quite an adventure to say the least. Thankfully, we don't have to worry about this sort of thing too much as winters are pretty mild here in general.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 08, 2021, 10:31:05 AM
Must be great having a real river close by! We've had glimpses of sun too, and when the wind softens, I'll cycle out to enjoy the scenery a bit. Work and almost all shops are on lock-down, so a lot of sparetime ... Here in the city, we just have some tamed and quiet canals of varying smallness, and some lakes in parks. They're well populated with birds of course, but nowadays the official policy is for people not to feed them. One guy however is well-known for having made friends with a lot of wild herons in the Frederiksberg Have gardens, and they eagerly wait for him and land on his arms, picking up food. The city's sea front, more of a strait, is of course very built up and domesticized, so for any ~wilder scenery, it's a longer journey from here ...
Yes, it is nice being able to walk along it.  :)

And I found this (without much googling effort).  Sounds like this is your guy?  https://www.carstenegevang.com/fredriksberghave

Must get outside more often--at my end anyway!  I'll bet that your parks are pretty?

PD
Quote from: Mirror Image on February 08, 2021, 04:09:53 PM
On Saturday night, we had some atrocious weather conditions --- snow + some sleet and all of it had stuck since it was below 32°F. During this time, I was at work, but went with my gut and asked if I could leave two hours early and so I did. It was hellacious driving home and I had a panic attack that thankfully subsided. This was mainly due to my inexperience with driving while its snowing. I slid on some ice a few times, but nothing came of it as I was able to stay on course until I got home. Running into a cluster of cars who were going as slow as dripping molasses didn't help either, but I was able to get around these cars. I know this is nothing for many members here who were raised in these types of conditions (long, snowy winters), but for a Southerner like me, it was quite an adventure to say the least. Thankfully, we don't have to worry about this sort of thing too much as winters are pretty mild here in general.
Glad that you were able to get home safely.  How are your tires by the way?  That can make a big difference too. 

More snow due here today.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes exactly, that's the heron guy, I didn't know he'd been more thoroughly described on the web in English! I'm sure there are such special characters in all cities ...

We have quite a few parks, different from each other, some bland, some impressive ... Frederiksberg Have is one of the prettiest, with an antique Chinese Tea House on a tiny island, that is open in summer, fashionable cafes and inns next to it, a garden association area & art exhibition hall, rental rowing boats, an outdoor ice skating rink in winter, and a proximity to the old zoo, that you can easily smell in one corner. Very popular (sometimes actually too crowded) in weekends ...  it's about 3 km or so from where I live.

BasilValentine

It's beautiful in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. We've had snow on the ground since Christmas and it keeps coming. It's only been above freezing for a couple of hours since then and the snow has stayed light and fluffy and deep — no thawing and freezing, little ice. We've been out on snowshoes or skis most days. Light snow falling now.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 09, 2021, 05:42:44 AM
Yes exactly, that's the heron guy, I didn't know he'd been more thoroughly described on the web in English! I'm sure there are such special characters in all cities ...

We have quite a few parks, different from each other, some bland, some impressive ... Frederiksberg Have is one of the prettiest, with an antique Chinese Tea House on a tiny island, that is open in summer, fashionable cafes and inns next to it, a garden association area & art exhibition hall, rental rowing boats, an outdoor ice skating rink in winter, and a proximity to the old zoo, that you can easily smell in one corner. Very popular (sometimes actually too crowded) in weekends ...  it's about 3 km or so from where I live.
I just looked it up on Wiki--how wonderful!  That park is huge too!  :)  You're lucky that you're so close to it. 

Those herons have quite the life:  apparently he buys Norwegian salmon for them and gets free bread from a bakery!

Quote from: BasilValentine on February 09, 2021, 06:24:01 AM
It's beautiful in the Adirondack Mountains of New York. We've had snow on the ground since Christmas and it keeps coming. It's only been above freezing for a couple of hours since then and the snow has stayed light and fluffy and deep — no thawing and freezing, little ice. We've been out on snowshoes or skis most days. Light snow falling now.
Sounds wonderful!  I suspect that we probably have enough of a base around here that I could try snowshoeing.  I do have some winter hiking boots that I've made good use of too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2021, 04:21:49 AMGlad that you were able to get home safely.  How are your tires by the way?  That can make a big difference too. 

More snow due here today.

Best wishes,

PD

Thanks, PD. Tires are brand new. I had some put on about a month ago. 8)

Handelian

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on January 09, 2021, 11:24:25 AM
My brother lives near Raleigh, NC. That's exactly what he says  ;D

LOL!  :laugh:  André - we are about 2 hrs west of Raleigh as I-40 runs - that description of a few inches of snow is what I like!  Two days ago I woke up to our first snow of the winter - view below via our doorbell cam - pretty but light amount - sun came out and all melted by the early afternoon.  Dave :)

DavidW

John sorry about your bad weather.  Even though I only live a few hours from you it was never that bad here.  Just rain.  It is very rare here to get rain and very cold at the same time, and it hasn't snowed here in I think four years.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 09, 2021, 01:49:58 PM
John sorry about your bad weather.  Even though I only live a few hours from you it was never that bad here.  Just rain.  It is very rare here to get rain and very cold at the same time, and it hasn't snowed here in I think four years.

Thanks, Dave. I keep forgetting you're in South Carolina while the other Dave lives in North Carolina. You two guys should start a Country/Western vocal duo and call yourselves The Carolina Daves. :P

Szykneij

Quote from: BasilValentine on February 09, 2021, 06:24:01 AM

Yes, light and fluffy is good. We just had our second day of the stuff. It's pretty to look at and it's easy to move. Also, easier to get to the bird feeders when it's not icy or slushy.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 10, 2021, 04:46:28 AM
Yes, light and fluffy is good. We just had our second day of the stuff. It's pretty to look at and it's easy to move. Also, easier to get to the bird feeders when it's not icy or slushy.
You had a downy woodpecker at your feeder--cool!  8)

I have fun watching some of Cornell's bird cams....particularly like the feeder cam and their hawk cams.  :)

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/cornell-lab-feederwatch/  A fun way to learn about birds...including this very unusual one (who makes regular appearances on the feeder cam):

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Very cold here with an icy wind from Ukraine blowing in to Eastern England.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 09, 2021, 05:29:33 PM
Thanks, Dave. I keep forgetting you're in South Carolina while the other Dave lives in North Carolina. You two guys should start a Country/Western vocal duo and call yourselves The Carolina Daves. :P

Dibs on the baryton!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 10, 2021, 05:09:34 AM
Very cold here with an icy wind from Ukraine blowing in to Eastern England.

Looks cold!  I'm just in from an hour of shoveling (Round 1).  Must admit that I was a bit startled when I went into the living room and heard a bird or two twittering away; I had forgotten that I had left my computer on and had left the Cornell feeder cam on!   ;D

Cold but very pretty outside.  A nice sunny morning with everything covered in glistening white.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2021, 06:22:05 AM
Looks cold!  I'm just in from an hour of shoveling (Round 1).  Must admit that I was a bit startled when I went into the living room and heard a bird or two twittering away; I had forgotten that I had left my computer on and had left the Cornell feeder cam on!   ;D

Cold but very pretty outside.  A nice sunny morning with everything covered in glistening white.
I could actually feel the sun on my face today for the first time in days. At least I've been able to try out my new (very effective) insulated wellington boots from Poland!

Here's a 'Tapiola-like' scene from the local nature reserve:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 10, 2021, 06:27:06 AM
I could actually feel the sun on my face today for the first time in days. At least I've been able to try out my new (very effective) insulated wellington boots from Poland!

Here's a 'Tapiola-like' scene from the local nature reserve:

Isn't feeling the sun on your face on a cold winter's day the best?  And I can see Tapio hiding in the shadows there...waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting traveler.
Pohjolas Daughter