How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 09, 2021, 05:29:33 PM
Thanks, Dave. I keep forgetting you're in South Carolina while the other Dave lives in North Carolina. You two guys should start a Country/Western vocal duo and call yourselves The Carolina Daves. :P

Hey John - LOL!  ;D  How about the Carolina Lintheads?  I've read a lot of books over the decades on the origins of Country Music - the 20th century textile mills were an important source of musicians/singers - the one below, a more recent read. :)  Dave

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 10, 2021, 06:36:11 AM
Isn't feeling the sun on your face on a cold winter's day the best?  And I can see Tapio hiding in the shadows there...waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting traveler.

No its not! Feeling the sun on your face on a warm summer's day is best. 8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 10, 2021, 06:51:29 AM
Hey John - LOL!  ;D  How about the Carolina Lintheads?  I've read a lot of books over the decades on the origins of Country Music - the 20th century textile mills were an important source of musicians/singers - the one below, a more recent read. :)  Dave

I have almost zero interest in country music, Dave, but that does look like an interesting read.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 10, 2021, 07:26:32 AM
No its not! Feeling the sun on your face on a warm summer's day is best. 8)
Tomāto/Tomahto....  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

A beautiful, clear day in downtown Copenhagen. Following about a week with frost, the canals and lakes are partly frozen. I was surprised by the amount of skaters, a rare sight here, no doubt also there because of the lack of other things to do during the lock-down. It is possible to get take-away food and drinks from many of the cafes and eating places, though. The number of skaters and strollers might have been counterproductive in relation to Covid, however.

The light, the blue skies, and the leafless, silhouette-like trees, made the colours of the architecture particularly nice.

MusicTurner

A good day for a bit of photography ... :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Beautiful photos MT!

I've been trying to get up earlier in the morning as I find that I love looking at the morning sunrises.  And, yes, the lighting in wintertime can be quite spectacular with trees stark in the winter snow, but with a beautiful sky blue around them.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: MusicTurner on February 14, 2021, 07:53:16 AM
A beautiful, clear day in downtown Copenhagen. Following about a week with frost, the canals and lakes are partly frozen. I was surprised by the amount of skaters, a rare sight here, no doubt also there because of the lack of other things to do during the lock-down. It is possible to get take-away food and drinks from many of the cafes and eating places, though. The number of skaters might have been counterproductive in relation to Covid, however.

The light, the blue skies, and the leafless, silhouette-like trees, made the colours of the architecture particularly nice.

Beautiful!
My Twitter feed today had a photo of a Dutch canal frozen, full of skaters, with several windmills along one bank.
Very Dutchy, one might say.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

Quote from: JBS on February 14, 2021, 12:51:16 PM
Beautiful!
My Twitter feed today had a photo of a Dutch canal frozen, full of skaters, with several windmills along one bank.
Very Dutchy, one might say.

Thank you - yes, the Dutch are traditionally more into skating than us Danes, it seems even a part of their culture, due to their countless canals - as seen also in many ancient paitings of folk life there, such as those by Averkamp etc. ...  :)

greg

Never thought it would snow here in San Antonio... it's a few inches, legit snow just like snowfall in Iowa. And dropped down to 11F. People outside making a snowman.

Apparently it snows once a decade here... didn't expect it since the climate is almost the same as Florida, and it NEVER snows there. Never saw it there in 27 years (it does get frosty, though).
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Pohjolas Daughter

Enjoy it while it's there!

We might be getting an ice storm here; that I don't want.  It can take only a quarter inch of ice/freezing rain on a power line to pull it down.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: greg on February 15, 2021, 07:36:00 AM
Never thought it would snow here in San Antonio... it's a few inches, legit snow just like snowfall in Iowa. And dropped down to 11F. People outside making a snowman.

Apparently it snows once a decade here... didn't expect it since the climate is almost the same as Florida, and it NEVER snows there. Never saw it there in 27 years (it does get frosty, though).

In Nacogdoches, we got 8" of heavy wet snow on Jan 10, our first snow in 3 years. Tore down thousands of tree branches and power lines. That sucked.   :P

Then starting yesterday, we got about 1/2" of freezing rain, and then 6" of snow on top of that overnight. Nice light fluffy snow. And this time, for whatever reason, the power has (knock wood) stayed on. It was 12°F when I got up this morning, but it's 15 now. Supposed to get down to 3 tonight. Supposed to be here through the week. That sucks too. :P

Speaking of Florida, my wife and I spent Xmas there (in Altamonte Springs) with her parents in 1984 (I know, before you were born  ::) :D ) and on Xmas morning it was 15° and all the orange trees had huge icicles hanging off them to the ground, and everything at Cypress Gardens was pretty much dead and black, and all the tropical fish farms (which were our secondary reason to be there) had been wiped out and were just dead fish floating. So I know it gets freaking cold there, just not very often. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2021, 08:43:35 AM
Enjoy it while it's there!

We might be getting an ice storm here; that I don't want.  It can take only a quarter inch of ice/freezing rain on a power line to pull it down.

PD

Sorry, PD, I can't do that. I can bear it, but I can't enjoy it. I moved here from Vermont 41 years ago to get away from that white manure, and now here I am. My brother says it was 23° there this AM, twice as warm as it was here!  :o :o  ;)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

What I'm getting from your posts Mike is that no matter where you go bad weather follows you!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 15, 2021, 09:22:37 AM
Sorry, PD, I can't do that. I can bear it, but I can't enjoy it. I moved here from Vermont 41 years ago to get away from that white manure, and now here I am. My brother says it was 23° there this AM, twice as warm as it was here!  :o :o  ;)

8)
So, it sounds like you (unlike possibly Greg?) have been getting in a bit of shoveling exercise? 😇  ;)  But seriously, sorry to hear that it's so cold in your neck of the woods.  I see that your city is the oldest town in Texas?  And that was quite the move!  May I ask what prompted it?  And which are the best restaurants for barbecue?  :)

And how are growers in your area dealing with the cold?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2021, 10:19:00 AM
So, it sounds like you (unlike possibly Greg?) have been getting in a bit of shoveling exercise? 😇  ;)  But seriously, sorry to hear that it's so cold in your neck of the woods.  I see that your city is the oldest town in Texas?  And that was quite the move!  May I ask what prompted it?  And which are the best restaurants for barbecue?  :)

And how are growers in your area dealing with the cold?

PD

Actually, just a moderate amount of shoveling. We have 42 acres, so shoveling is a rather futile exercise, except insofar as allowing the dogs to get out their door into the great outside bathroom.  It's up to 17° now, which sounds great, but to put it in context, average high temp for this date is 63, average low is 40.

Yup, over 400 years old, amazingly. It used to be the capitol of Northern Mexico, back in the day. The barbecue is pretty darned good, although it is hard to match Fort Worth, where I came here from back in '86. Best barbecue in the world there, bar none. :)

I moved to the Greater Dallas area back in '79 because in Vermont, the best job I could find involved collecting unemployment. I had a friend whose company transferred him to Dallas, and he needed a roommate due to the outrageous rents. He sent me a copy of the want ads that had over 2 pages of ads just for my profession. So that was hard to resist. After 7 years there, I wanted to buy some land of my own, found this place, and the rest is history.

8)

greg

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 15, 2021, 09:20:37 AM
Speaking of Florida, my wife and I spent Xmas there (in Altamonte Springs) with her parents in 1984 (I know, before you were born  ::) :D ) and on Xmas morning it was 15° and all the orange trees had huge icicles hanging off them to the ground, and everything at Cypress Gardens was pretty much dead and black, and all the tropical fish farms (which were our secondary reason to be there) had been wiped out and were just dead fish floating. So I know it gets freaking cold there, just not very often. :)

8)
Yeah, that's a temperature I probably hadn't seen there before, even considering most of my life I lived only like 15 or so minutes away from Altamonte (was our goto place for shopping). Or maybe I was aware some years. :P

I will mention that I did see once something that was like semi-snow falling from the sky when I was about 4 years old, I think, so was probably 1992-ish, but that was in Jacksonville, so in Northern Florida it'd be less shocking.

Only concern Central Florida people have in the winter is covering their plants a few days to prevent damage from ice buildup.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 15, 2021, 11:36:40 AM
Actually, just a moderate amount of shoveling. We have 42 acres, so shoveling is a rather futile exercise, except insofar as allowing the dogs to get out their door into the great outside bathroom.  It's up to 17° now, which sounds great, but to put it in context, average high temp for this date is 63, average low is 40.

Yup, over 400 years old, amazingly. It used to be the capitol of Northern Mexico, back in the day. The barbecue is pretty darned good, although it is hard to match Fort Worth, where I came here from back in '86. Best barbecue in the world there, bar none. :)

I moved to the Greater Dallas area back in '79 because in Vermont, the best job I could find involved collecting unemployment. I had a friend whose company transferred him to Dallas, and he needed a roommate due to the outrageous rents. He sent me a copy of the want ads that had over 2 pages of ads just for my profession. So that was hard to resist. After 7 years there, I wanted to buy some land of my own, found this place, and the rest is history.

8)
Nice!  Must be neat to have all of that land?  Do you own horses and/or livestock?  I'll file away that Fort Worth = great barbecue--thanks! :-)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: greg on February 15, 2021, 11:48:11 AM
Yeah, that's a temperature I probably hadn't seen there before, even considering most of my life I lived only like 15 or so minutes away from Altamonte (was our goto place for shopping). Or maybe I was aware some years. :P

I will mention that I did see once something that was like semi-snow falling from the sky when I was about 4 years old, I think, so was probably 1992-ish, but that was in Jacksonville, so in Northern Florida it'd be less shocking.

Only concern Central Florida people have in the winter is covering their plants a few days to prevent damage from ice buildup.
Greg,

Over the years, I've heard or read stories about the damage that frosts can do to farmers who grow things like oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, etc. for a living.  It hurts them and it also leads to steep increases in food prices all over the States.   I've experienced the effects myself (in terms of food prices and availability).  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

greg

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2021, 12:00:34 PM
Greg,

Over the years, I've heard or read stories about the damage that frosts can do to farmers who grow things like oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, etc. for a living.  It hurts them and it also leads to steep increases in food prices all over the States.   I've experienced the effects myself (in terms of food prices and availability).  :(
For sure. One thing people will buy are special frost blankets, I have seen them used even when driving by the road in areas where they grow stuff like that. And we used them each year at the place I used to work for covering the plants (and sold them a lot, too). But there probably still are some issues after that, I'd imagine, haven't grown anything before but I have doubts they are a 100% solution.