Pohjolas Daughter

Not used to seeing images like that!   :o
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Wanderer on February 16, 2021, 08:24:37 AM
Drone footage from Athens:

https://youtu.be/VNHuGDp9BUo

https://youtu.be/2BW-3XVyAAs

That's more than a little snow, for sure. Nice to see. Hope you're managing the cold.

Mirror Image

It was a beautiful day, but it is windy with a temperature of 18°F currently. When I took my dogs out, I about froze and this is with a leather jacket with a hoodie underneath and corduroy pants on. Brrr....

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 16, 2021, 02:11:09 PM
It was a beautiful day, but it is windy with a temperature of 18°F currently. When I took my dogs out, I about froze and this is with a leather jacket with a hoodie underneath and corduroy pants on. Brrr....
You need proper winter clothes there!  I know, you'd probably only need to haul them out for a few days every ten years!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I finally took my Astronomy students out for night lab last night.  It was perfectly clear.  It had been two years because last year it was constantly overcast and/or raining for the first half, and you know what happened in the second half.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2021, 07:18:43 AM
I finally took my Astronomy students out for night lab last night.  It was perfectly clear.  It had been two years because last year it was constantly overcast and/or raining for the first half, and you know what happened in the second half.
Oh, nice!  Do they bring scopes with them?  See anything of particular interest?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 17, 2021, 08:02:50 AM
Oh, nice!  Do they bring scopes with them?  See anything of particular interest?

PD

Not for the first lab.  I want them to learn how to use their planispheres and really get to know the night sky.  It is naked eye observation only.  The next lab will be with binoculars and only the final lab will use telescopes after they've completed an indoor training lab on how to use telescopes.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 17, 2021, 10:25:52 AM
Not for the first lab.  I want them to learn how to use their planispheres and really get to know the night sky.  It is naked eye observation only.  The next lab will be with binoculars and only the final lab will use telescopes after they've completed an indoor training lab on how to use telescopes.
Oh neat!  That would be quite interesting to learn how to use one of those.  Do you have to drive very far to find a place that doesn't have a lot of interfering street lights, etc.?
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 17, 2021, 11:39:25 AM
Oh neat!  That would be quite interesting to learn how to use one of those.  Do you have to drive very far to find a place that doesn't have a lot of interfering street lights, etc.?

No just out of town.  Not great, not bad either.  You can see most but not all of the stars in the Little Dipper (how many stars you can resolve in that asterism is a good test).  I warned my students that standing around for 2-3 hours you will feel the cold much more acutely than zipping out to pick up some take out a couple of blocks away.  But they had to learn the hard way... I was wearing three layers plus gloves.  I didn't get cold.

pjme

NIce and fairly warm springlike day in the Low Countries. Possibly  17/18 Celsius this afternoon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on February 20, 2021, 02:02:15 AM
NIce and fairly warm springlike day in the Low Countries. Possibly  17/18 Celsius this afternoon.
And I need to go outside and shovel soon!  :laugh:  :)  Enjoy your weather!
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2021, 04:26:09 AM
And I need to go outside and shovel soon!  :laugh:  :)  Enjoy your weather!

I just finished. Luckily, light and fluffy - not heart attack snow.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Gurn Blanston

The ice is melting now, it started yesterday afternoon when it finally got above freezing for the first time in a week 😮. But it went back down to 16 overnight, so it's still a bit short of fully melting. The road is coated with 1"of glare ice, and since it was fully in the shade, it hadn't even started to melt when I checked it at dark-thirty last night. Don't be fooled when you see 'oh, they are up over freezing', this is going to take days to go away, just like that snow a few weeks ago. We had 3 days in the 70's before the snow was all gone!   😱❄️😳

😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Beautiful, blue skied morning here with a temperature of 39°F.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on February 14, 2021, 12:51:16 PM
Beautiful!
My Twitter feed today had a photo of a Dutch canal frozen, full of skaters, with several windmills along one bank.
Very Dutchy, one might say.

Heel Nederlandse
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 15, 2021, 09:20:37 AM
In Nacogdoches, we got 8" of heavy wet snow on Jan 10, our first snow in 3 years. Tore down thousands of tree branches and power lines. That sucked.   :P

Then starting yesterday, we got about 1/2" of freezing rain, and then 6" of snow on top of that overnight. Nice light fluffy snow. And this time, for whatever reason, the power has (knock wood) stayed on. It was 12°F when I got up this morning, but it's 15 now. Supposed to get down to 3 tonight. Supposed to be here through the week. That sucks too. :P

Speaking of Florida, my wife and I spent Xmas there (in Altamonte Springs) with her parents in 1984 (I know, before you were born  ::) :D ) and on Xmas morning it was 15° and all the orange trees had huge icicles hanging off them to the ground, and everything at Cypress Gardens was pretty much dead and black, and all the tropical fish farms (which were our secondary reason to be there) had been wiped out and were just dead fish floating. So I know it gets freaking cold there, just not very often. :)

8)

Was going to ring, but then I thought perhaps I should leave your phone juice for possible essentials.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 20, 2021, 06:29:58 AM
Was going to ring, but then I thought perhaps I should leave your phone juice for possible essentials.

Our landline is out (I think the ice took out the switching station in town), and I get no cell service at home, so what you see is what I got! :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

pjme

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 20, 2021, 06:25:48 AM
Heel Nederlandse

Skating was only possible for two or three days. But for a week Belgium and the Netherlands were covered by snow and ice. Now snowbells and crocus are in full bloom and the birds chirp loudly.
Parks are busy (too busy) with corona weary families....