How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Beautiful morning here.  Nice to hear that the rest of the south is thawing out.  I have a fedex package that has been stuck in Memphis maybe it will get moving.  My parents have been under a boil water advisory, maybe that will change soon.

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on February 20, 2021, 07:19:26 AM
Skating was only possible for two or three days. But for a week Belgium and the Netherlands were covered by snow and ice. Now snowbells and crocus are in full bloom and the birds chirp loudly.
Parks are busy (too busy) with corona weary families....

Everybody's got "cabin fever" which means people need to be careful even if they don't feel like it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 07:15:39 AM
Our landline is out (I think the ice took out the switching station in town), and I get no cell service at home, so what you see is what I got! :D

8)

Smoke 'em if you got 'em (kippers, I mean)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 07:15:39 AM
Our landline is out (I think the ice took out the switching station in town), and I get no cell service at home, so what you see is what I got! :D

8)
That stinks!  And no cell service?  Too far out into the country?
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2021, 08:33:51 AM
That stinks!  And no cell service?  Too far out into the country?

Exactly. I can send texts over WiFi though, so I was able to get my brother yesterday and he called various family members who normally would be calling to check on us. And I can send emails. But that's pretty much it. After 35 years here, we are pretty used to crappy phone service. I remember the days when I used to get on here via a phone modem. Oy vey!  :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 09:08:11 AM
Exactly. I can send texts over WiFi though, so I was able to get my brother yesterday and he called various family members who normally would be calling to check on us. And I can send emails. But that's pretty much it. After 35 years here, we are pretty used to crappy phone service. I remember the days when I used to get on here via a phone modem. Oy vey!  :o

8)

I can't even BELIEVE that Ted Cruz hasn't done anything about it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 09:08:11 AM

8)

Hi Gurn - been keeping up w/ the news/weather in the Lone Star State and reading through your posts - sorry about how the Texans have and are still suffering in this unusual weather event - and once one gets use to decent internet speeds, absence is sorely missed!  Although I can still remember the days of dial-up modems w/ 56 kbs speed max (of course, never reached and open not connected); assume Ted Cruz had a good internet connection in Cancun? - hope this clears up soon for you and family!  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 20, 2021, 10:05:36 AM
I can't even BELIEVE that Ted Cruz hasn't done anything about it!

He sent me a donation card, maybe that'll help... ;)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 20, 2021, 10:13:28 AM
Hi Gurn - been keeping up w/ the news/weather in the Lone Star State and reading through your posts - sorry about how the Texans have and are still suffering in this unusual weather event - and once one gets use to decent internet speeds, absence is sorely missed!  Although I can still remember the days of dial-up modems w/ 56 kbs speed max (of course, never reached and open not connected); assume Ted Cruz had a good internet connection in Cancun? - hope this clears up soon for you and family!  Dave :)

Hey, Dave, thanks, amigo. Well, we haven't had it too bad, so I can't complain. There are others though, like the 11 y/o kid who died of exposure the third night he slept in an unheated trailer, and the family that died of CO while sleeping in their running car in the garage to get some heat. Be interesting to see the health fallout from the bad water situation. :-\ 

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 20, 2021, 04:38:04 AM
I just finished. Luckily, light and fluffy - not heart attack snow.
Good to hear that it was easy for you where you live.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 11:11:09 AM
He sent me a donation card, maybe that'll help... ;)

Hey, Dave, thanks, amigo. Well, we haven't had it too bad, so I can't complain. There are others though, like the 11 y/o kid who died of exposure the third night he slept in an unheated trailer, and the family that died of CO while sleeping in their running car in the garage to get some heat. Be interesting to see the health fallout from the bad water situation. :-\ 

8)
And yes Gurn, I'm very sorry to hear what your state and its people are going through.  Happy to hear though that Pres. Biden is trying to help [I suspect that a certain former president might have acted differently].  All the best to you.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2021, 03:42:52 PM
And yes Gurn, I'm very sorry to hear what your state and its people are going through.  Happy to hear though that Pres. Biden is trying to help [I suspect that a certain former president might have acted differently].  All the best to you.

PD

Thanks, PD. It does suck for many, no question. Apparently there are still 14,000,000 affected by the water issue. :o

Oh, I'm sure He Who Shall Remain Nameless would have helped out, we voted for him, after all. God forbid it was NY, Cal or Mass, he would have required payment up front. ::)

8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 04:03:50 PM
Thanks, PD. It does suck for many, no question. Apparently there are still 14,000,000 affected by the water issue. :o

Oh, I'm sure He Who Shall Remain Nameless would have helped out, we voted for him, after all. God forbid it was NY, Cal or Mass, he would have required payment up front. ::)

8)
Yes, that also crossed my brain (re:  Nameless).  May I ask, what is the story about ERCOT and how did/have they manage to avoid federal regulations?  And is this a major part of the problem?  It sounded like it to me....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2021, 04:18:31 PM
Yes, that also crossed my brain (re:  Nameless).  May I ask, what is the story about ERCOT and how did/have they manage to avoid federal regulations?  And is this a major part of the problem?  It sounded like it to me....

PD

I don't know the entire thing, just that several years ago (back in the Rick Perry days ::) ) the Feds proposed a national network/grid, and TX (of course) opted out of it. We set up a governing board which was answerable (in theory) to the legislature. Apparently they have decided they are answerable to no one. So they have not done a lick in the way of infrastructure improvement, for example, or disaster planning. Lately, they even elected board members who don't now (and never have) live in Texas, so they have no vested interest in making the utility work well for the customers. To how the recent disaster happened, 2-3 weeks ago, when the storms were first predicted, the governor asked for a status report and they replied that all was well, they just finished an audit and yada yada. They were gambling on the historical fact that Texas doesn't get ass-kicking winter storms. Well, Texas got an ass-kicking winter storm, and they lost. But of course, they didn't lose anything, it was the citizens who lost.

This is all on the legislature, much as I would like to blame Abbot, he is just playing the hand he was dealt. But if there isn't some serious butt-kicking in the very near future, then you can bet there will be at the next election. I expect the board to be forced to resign, which is the least that could happen. And some serious oversight. Anything less will be unacceptable. >:(

8)

André

1998 ice storm in the St-Lawrence Valley. 1.5 million without power for a week. Power outages lasted over a month in the hardest hit areas. 28 people died. Many people developed PTSD. The Hydro Quebec grid was a solid, well-maintained one, but 11 cm of ice (almost 5 inches) twisted the metal structures like a mad giant.

Freak weather can happen anywhere. Polar vortex is know to have southbound 'hernias' that engulf half the continent for days. It's happened before.

Keep well, Mike. Hoping it'll get better soon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 04:54:20 PM
I don't know the entire thing, just that several years ago (back in the Rick Perry days ::) ) the Feds proposed a national network/grid, and TX (of course) opted out of it. We set up a governing board which was answerable (in theory) to the legislature. Apparently they have decided they are answerable to no one. So they have not done a lick in the way of infrastructure improvement, for example, or disaster planning. Lately, they even elected board members who don't now (and never have) live in Texas, so they have no vested interest in making the utility work well for the customers. To how the recent disaster happened, 2-3 weeks ago, when the storms were first predicted, the governor asked for a status report and they replied that all was well, they just finished an audit and yada yada. They were gambling on the historical fact that Texas doesn't get ass-kicking winter storms. Well, Texas got an ass-kicking winter storm, and they lost. But of course, they didn't lose anything, it was the citizens who lost.

This is all on the legislature, much as I would like to blame Abbot, he is just playing the hand he was dealt. But if there isn't some serious butt-kicking in the very near future, then you can bet there will be at the next election. I expect the board to be forced to resign, which is the least that could happen. And some serious oversight. Anything less will be unacceptable. >:(

8)
These days, with all of the climate changes going on, I expect that we will continue to see more and more unusual weather; for everyone's sake in your state, I hope that the POBs are held accountable and they figure out what appropriate changes need to be made....and soon!  :(

Quote from: André on February 21, 2021, 04:02:28 AM

1998 ice storm in the St-Lawrence Valley. 1.5 million without power for a week. Power outages lasted over a month in the hardest hit areas. 28 people died. Many people developed PTSD. The Hydro Quebec grid was a solid, well-maintained one, but 11 cm of ice (almost 5 inches) twisted the metal structures like a mad giant.

Freak weather can happen anywhere. Polar vortex is know to have southbound 'hernias' that engulf half the continent for days. It's happened before.

Wow!  Incredible and terrifying photos there André!  And even worse story.  And you guys are used to cold and bad weather too.  :o  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on February 21, 2021, 04:02:28 AM

I remember that storm, it was a major bitch!  These Polar Vortices seem to be getting more common as the firm discontinuity between Polar and Temperate Zone breaks down. Extremely rare they venture this far south, not that we haven't very often got "Northers" as we call them, but this severe for this long is historically unprecedented. We easily smashed a record set in 1898!

I fear there will be some PTSD around here after this is all said and done. :o :'(

Thanks, André, you too. Glad the days are getting longer!

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2021, 04:03:50 PM

I'm not trying to be that guy or make excuses but isn't really your governor that has to take leadership right now (and is)?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on February 21, 2021, 07:47:51 AM
I'm not trying to be that guy or make excuses but isn't really your governor that has to take leadership right now (and is)?

Yeah, he's doing as good a job as the situation will allow. People who are blaming him for this shit are way off base. I'm not a fan of his, but he can only play the cards he is dealt, and it's a pretty bad hand right now. :-\   But the Feds are doing a lot to help, and Biden had already sent them in last Saturday, the day before the storms hit. So FEMA was already on the ground here when the bad stuff started. That is what we were talking about, do you think it would have been that way if it was 3 months ago? We would STILL be waiting for assistance, I expect.

8)

MusicTurner

It was icy and snowy here just a couple of days ago, but today was Spring-like and up to 13 C, with a nice excursion to under-visited areas bordering the Suså river south from Ringsted town.