How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 02, 2021, 04:08:41 AM
Ouch. When do you expect Spring? Is the river scenery nearby wintery?

It's still rather mild here in DK, but we'll probably have to wait say 3 weeks for any tiny, early signs of blossoming and the oncoming foliage ... on the ground, winter aconites and small snowdrops have been around for long, though, but they're the only ones ...
The weather is supposed to improve soon.  An added problem, winds have been very strong recently which has lead to power outages in some areas.  Haven't seen the snowdrops yet (They're the first ones that come up.).  Hope to visit the river later this week.  I have an errand to do today, but it's so bitterly cold out that I'm reluctant to do it.  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 04:45:25 AM
The weather is supposed to improve soon.  An added problem, winds have been very strong recently which has lead to power outages in some areas.  Haven't seen the snowdrops yet (They're the first ones that come up.).  Hope to visit the river later this week.  I have an errand to do today, but it's so bitterly cold out that I'm reluctant to do it.  :(

Yes, I know the feeling, and strong, cold wintery winds, maybe even combined with slippery paths, can indeed be a somewhat tough deal.

Some hot chocolate can perhaps serve as a 'reward' afterwards, if available :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 02, 2021, 05:02:00 AM
Yes, I know the feeling, and strong, cold wintery winds, maybe even combined with slippery paths, can indeed be a somewhat tough deal.

Some hot chocolate can perhaps serve as a 'reward' afterwards, if available :)
Good suggestion:  I have some powdered and also have both milk and light cream.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 04:45:25 AM

The wind gusts are scary strong here, but the temperature is at least into the double digits now. My main errand today is to get my scheduled first Moderna shot, and that's one I'm definitely going to make.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

MusicTurner

Got some good dark chocolate powder the other day, just to be mixed with sugar and hot milk, maybe cream/whipped cream, or whatever one can think of - planning for it to become a habit, to have it in stock, since instant coffee has now taken over too much of my drinking  :). Maybe one can even be a bit creative with the 'recipe', adding further stuff ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on March 02, 2021, 05:17:30 AM
The wind gusts are scary strong here, but the temperature is at least into the double digits now. My main errand today is to get my scheduled first Moderna shot, and that's one I'm definitely going to make.
Bundle up warm and be careful to protect your face, ears and hands in particular!  And good luck!  You might also want to run your car for awhile...drive around, etc., to keep your battery charged too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 02, 2021, 05:19:52 AM
Got some good dark chocolate powder the other day, just to be mixed with sugar and hot milk, maybe cream/whipped cream, or whatever one can think of - planning for it to become a habit, to have it in stock, since instant coffee has now taken over too much of my drinking  :). Maybe one can even be a bit creative with the 'recipe', adding further stuff ...
Hot coco jar has now been moved to a more accessible spot.  Dark chocolate powder does sound yummy though.  I'll pick up some whipping cream when I go out.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 05:28:34 AM
Bundle up warm and be careful to protect your face, ears and hands in particular!  And good luck!  You might also want to run your car for awhile...drive around, etc., to keep your battery charged too.

PD

Thanks - luckily I don't have to travel very far.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

MusicTurner

Quote from: Szykneij on March 02, 2021, 05:17:30 AM

Good luck, and big congrats, nice to hear.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 02, 2021, 05:19:52 AM
I forgot to pick up the whipping cream!  Urgh!  Oh well.  I did get to the post office and also walked around a bit.  Breeze had calmed down quite a bit and the sun was out and it was a bit warmer.  Dressed up in layers and enjoyed being out in the sunshine and fresh air for a bit.  Had some of my cream of mushroom soup when I arrived back at home.  Hot chocolate will wait for another time.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 11:12:41 AM
I forgot to pick up the whipping cream!  Urgh!  Oh well.  I did get to the post office and also walked around a bit.  Breeze had calmed down quite a bit and the sun was out and it was a bit warmer.  Dressed up in layers and enjoyed being out in the sunshine and fresh air for a bit.  Had some of my cream of mushroom soup when I arrived back at home.  Hot chocolate will wait for another time.  :)

Well, I understand you, mushroom soup is good too, for sure, and if the weather turned out better, that's just fine.

But remember, milk can be had all the year round, including the fresh ones, advocated for here (translation isn't really needed, I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3_jDBL01QE

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 02, 2021, 11:33:17 AM
Well, I understand you, mushroom soup is good too, for sure, and if the weather turned out better, that's just fine.

But remember, milk can be had all the year round, including the fresh ones, advocated for here (translation isn't really needed, I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3_jDBL01QE
Is their milk (I did watch the video) the kind which is hermetically sealed in a paper carton which keeps for a long time and doesn't need refrigeration?  I have in the past kept some for when the weather forecasts were horrible (as in power going out).  I've never heard of whipping cream (perhaps you call it double cream?  It's something that one beats with a hand mixer to make a whipped topping for deserts.) being available in aseptic containers before?

Mushroom soup was quite good (if I do say so myself).  I made it from scratch yesterday (adding in some cream today...see "What are you eating" thread if interested).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 11:50:24 AM
Is their milk (I did watch the video) the kind which is hermetically sealed in a paper carton which keeps for a long time and doesn't need refrigeration?  I have in the past kept some for when the weather forecasts were horrible (as in power going out).  I've never heard of whipping cream (perhaps you call it double cream?  It's something that one beats with a hand mixer to make a whipped topping for deserts.) being available in aseptic containers before?

Mushroom soup was quite good (if I do say so myself).  I made it from scratch yesterday (adding in some cream today...see "What are you eating" thread if interested).

PD

No, long-term UHT milk mostly got popular in Southern Europe, but never up here; Denmark is an old dairy country, and we want our milk fresh, storing it in the fridge. UHT-milk is mainly bought as chocolate milk. Fresh milk is readily available even in the countryside in practically all of Europe now, but some of the people in the South seem to have a preference for it (and its taste); it is of course easier to store, if you live in a remote place, for example. The Danish add tells of milk coming from the cows into the shops in less than 24 hours, going of course through various processes on the way. "Arla Express" refers to the main dairy company and the express quality, of course.

I hope my translation was correct: whipped cream; I just mean ordinary, fat, fresh cream, that you make into that light, white substance yourself, like on the photo below. One doesn't normally add anything to the cream to make it. One can also buy it already made, in a can, where you can 'spray' it on your dish or drink, but the taste and density of that tends to be slightly different, IMO, it might even have added sugar.

Sounds great with homemade mushroom soup !

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 02, 2021, 12:52:36 PM
No, long-term UHT milk mostly got popular in Southern Europe, but never up here; Denmark is an old dairy country, and we want our milk fresh, storing it in the fridge. UHT-milk is mainly bought as chocolate milk. Fresh milk is readily available even in the countryside in practically all of Europe now, but some of the people in the South seem to have a preference for it (and its taste); it is of course easier to store, if you live in a remote place, for example. The Danish add tells of milk coming from the cows into the shops in less than 24 hours, going of course through various processes on the way. "Arla Express" refers to the main dairy company and the express quality, of course.

I hope my translation was correct: whipped cream; I just mean ordinary, fat, fresh cream, that you make into that light, white substance yourself, like on the photo below. One doesn't normally add anything to the cream to make it. One can also buy it already made, in a can, where you can 'spray' it on your dish or drink, but the taste and density of that tends to be slightly different, IMO, it might even have added sugar.

Sounds great with homemade mushroom soup !
Hi MT.

The cream that I added to my mushroom soup was light cream not whipping cream (if I'm understanding your comments correctly).  I found this article which describes the different distinctions here in the US.  I was hoping to find some whipping cream (technically called light whipping cream by out Food and Drug Administration = FDA) to whip up for when I made hot chocolate (to dollop on top of it).  I could have also used what we call heavy cream too to create a whipped topping.  For what its worth, I'll sometimes add a small amount of sugar to it too.  It depends on what I'll be using it.  I used to love the canned stuff when I was a kid; I've learned better now that I'm older.  ;D

And, yes, I would have been surprised if UHT milk were popular in Denmark!  I know that you love your cheeses and dairy.  ;)

Here's a link to that article:  https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/whats-the-difference-between-heavy-cream-light-cream-and-whipping-cream

Nice day today:  sunny and much warmer and little wind, so I went out for a short walk trying to see what my local hawks were up to and soaking in a bit of sun too.  :)

PD

EDIT:  I meant to mention yesterday that I noticed that one bunch of daffodils is up about two inches (next to foundation) and that I checked in my backyard and noticed that a bunch of snowdrops have come up.  You can see their tiny white heads--not yet open.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Not certain where to post this, but this seemed like the best place.  Seismic activity has changed to the unusual side as in it's currently unrelenting (as in unusually frequent in Iceland) and is in the southwestern side of Iceland....where I believe, the densest in terms of population is.  It sounds like no towns could be in line for damage from lava flows, but obviously tremors and quakes can cause other damage too.  Hope that all works out for the best and that Mother Nature is kind.  I imagine that it would be difficult to sleep (as at least one person mentioned there) and that it could be quite stressful and worrying.  My thoughts and well wishes go out to the people of Iceland.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/world/iceland-volcano-eruption-keilir-intl-latam/index.html
Pohjolas Daughter

Stürmisch Bewegt

An overcast day here, but a pleasant 58 degrees (14.4444 C.) and so felt compelled to go on a very long walk.  I felt like a figure in Brueghel's Gloomy Day: neighbors were trimming their hedges, and just like that painting there was the presence of trouble in the distance: frequent sirens.  Fires? Covid victims? Accidents? Shipwrecks like in Brueghel?  I dunno.  My objective was a house more than a mile away that still has their Christmas tree up and is frequently lit, even in plain day, months after that holiday, perhaps an antidote to Covid cheerlessness.  I found it still up but lights disappointingly dark. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on March 06, 2021, 02:00:58 PM
An overcast day here, but a pleasant 58 degrees (14.4444 C.) and so felt compelled to go on a very long walk.  I felt like a figure in Brueghel's Gloomy Day: neighbors were trimming their hedges, and just like that painting there was the presence of trouble in the distance: frequent sirens.  Fires? Covid victims? Accidents? Shipwrecks like in Brueghel?  I dunno.  My objective was a house more than a mile away that still has their Christmas tree up and is frequently lit, even in plain day, months after that holiday, perhaps an antidote to Covid cheerlessness.  I found it still up but lights disappointingly dark.
Good to hear that you went for a nice long walk in temperate weather too!  Hoping that all is well re sirens.  Regarding the house with the Christmas tree, I hope that it was a fake one as having one up this late (even one freshly cut close to X-mas time = fire hazard!  :( ).  I went for a nice walk too though in cooler conditions.  You just bundle up well.  Great to be outside and in Mother Nature's kingdom.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Stürmisch Bewegt

Thank you, PD, sure will.  Christmas tree is unlikely pukka; can you imagine all the needles on the floor by now?! I had the momentary thought to ring the door bell and ask them to turn the lights on but the thought of being assessed Mr. Stranger Danger shut the idea down forthwith!  (Also gun ownership and craziness runs high in these parts!)
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 03, 2021, 10:35:10 AM
Hi MT.

The cream that I added to my mushroom soup was light cream not whipping cream (if I'm understanding your comments correctly).  I found this article which describes the different distinctions here in the US.  I was hoping to find some whipping cream (technically called light whipping cream by out Food and Drug Administration = FDA) to whip up for when I made hot chocolate (to dollop on top of it).  I could have also used what we call heavy cream too to create a whipped topping.  For what its worth, I'll sometimes add a small amount of sugar to it too.  It depends on what I'll be using it.  I used to love the canned stuff when I was a kid; I've learned better now that I'm older.  ;D

And, yes, I would have been surprised if UHT milk were popular in Denmark!  I know that you love your cheeses and dairy.  ;)

Here's a link to that article:  https://www.myrecipes.com/extracrispy/whats-the-difference-between-heavy-cream-light-cream-and-whipping-cream

Nice day today:  sunny and much warmer and little wind, so I went out for a short walk trying to see what my local hawks were up to and soaking in a bit of sun too.  :)

PD

EDIT:  I meant to mention yesterday that I noticed that one bunch of daffodils is up about two inches (next to foundation) and that I checked in my backyard and noticed that a bunch of snowdrops have come up.  You can see their tiny white heads--not yet open.  :)

Interestingly enough, you have different, and more, distinctions regarding cream (and milk), than us in DK. We just have what we call whipping cream/piskefløde, used for that seen on my photo above, many desserts and a good deal of recipes, with a fat content of no less than 38%. And then we have a cream with a fat content of 18% called coffee cream/kaffefløde, cheaper, and used by some in their coffee and some recipes ... there may be further ones, but they're rareky used, I think. Milk is between 0.1% and almost 4% fat here. I prefer the fatter versions, though 1.5% is also acceptable for diet reasons plus its taste ...

To return to the thread subject, we've had more sun, but it's been rather cold too. Today, when cycling into the city, there were a few sings of spring - flowers or buds on some bushes, though still rare.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 07, 2021, 06:14:48 AM
Interestingly enough, you have different, and more, distinctions regarding cream (and milk), than us in DK. We just have what we call whipping cream/piskefløde, used for that seen on my photo above, many desserts and a good deal of recipes, with a fat content of no less than 38%. And then we have a cream with a fat content of 18% called coffee cream/kaffefløde, cheaper, and used by some in their coffee and some recipes ... there may be further ones, but they're rareky used, I think. Milk is between 0.1% and almost 4% fat here. I prefer the fatter versions, though 1.5% is also acceptable for diet reasons plus its taste ...

To return to the thread subject, we've had more sun, but it's been rather cold too. Today, when cycling into the city, there were a few sings of spring - flowers or buds on some bushes, though still rare.
Isn't it interesting how much easier it is to bear cold weather when it's sunny out? Hope to get in another nice walk today; sunny here though colder than Copenhagen.  Do you have to ride very far to get into the city?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter