How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 07, 2021, 07:30:24 AM
Isn't it interesting how much easier it is to bear cold weather when it's sunny out? Hope to get in another nice walk today; sunny here though colder than Copenhagen.  Do you have to ride very far to get into the city?

PD

Yes, it's encouraging, and we're all looking forward to the Spring here ... people were sitting, enjoying the sun and shielded from the wind, on the old promenade bridges in the centre, a sure sign of it. But you can't sit outdoors at eating places or cafes, due to restrictions.

For me, it's 20-25 minutes on bicycle to the innermost centre, such as the Town Hall Square and the Strøget pedestrian street, so that's convenient. By metro or train, it's about the same ... for getting to some other old parts of Copenhagen, such as Frederiksberg or Nørrebro, 15 minutes will do. But for some sense of rural nature, it's an hour or more, and for some more dramatic nature (by local standards), 3 hours or more, on bike. Of course, one can combine train and bicycle too ...

Szykneij

Great day today. Still chilly, but nice and sunny. Drove to Maine and walked the dogs on the beach.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

MusicTurner

Some sunny weeks, but chilly, and frost at night. A few, confused snowflakes descended down irregularly this morning ... Looking forward to warmer weather; the moment it becomes possible, I'll be off for some biking/camping in the provinces, but it requires close to 10 C at night for me, so maybe in 3-4 weeks ...

Apparently, the Northern parts of the UK, Iceland (!) and Portugal are the places for almost summer-like temperatures in Europe right now.

North Star

+1 deg C / 34 deg F at the moment, spring is approaching. This is what it looked like last month.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Papy Oli

Olivier

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quite pluvial.  We are at the northern edge of what is anticipated to be some tornado activity tonight.  I had precious hours this AM to set out my grass seed to good advantage but was more interested in listening to music.  :-[ Einmal wieder:  Morgenstund hat Gold im Mund
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

André

Summer-like temperatures here, with record highs > 20 degrees these past two days. Snow this weekend, with temps dipping below 0.

Pohjolas Daughter

How are things going for our members based in Australia?  I've been hearing about the heavy rains and flooding in certain areas of NSW.

I know that our chief is in Canberra and that there are some others here from Australia.  How are you guys doing?

Cold and blustery here today....at least the sun came out.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Some Easter snow today, probably the last weather like this before the real springtime ... the woods will start to become greener in about two weeks.

DavidW

We've had perfectly blue skies, sun shining in the 70s (that is like 20-22 C), green trees, blossoming flowers and a gentle breeze yesterday and today.  In other words PERFECT.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 05, 2021, 03:54:29 AM
Some Easter snow today, probably the last weather like this before the real springtime ... the woods will start to become greener in about two weeks.
Brrr!  Trust that it was just a short flurry?  What is that tall and skinny (but pretty) tree?  Is it a type of cypress?

Like DavidW,  it's gorgeous here--though not as warm.  Daffs and some other bulbs are in bloom....needless to say, I'm in a good mood!  8)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2021, 07:56:52 AM
Brrr!  Trust that it was just a short flurry?  What is that tall and skinny (but pretty) tree?  Is it a type of cypress?

Like DavidW,  it's gorgeous here--though not as warm.  Daffs and some other bulbs are in bloom....needless to say, I'm in a good mood!  8)

PD

That sounds really lovely. Yes, it's a garden plant very common here, a thuja, maybe 15 m tall. Our senior Yugoslav neighbours are very much into gardening and spend a lot of time refining the place.

A rather cold day here, but the sun has returned, and there's no trace of snow on the ground now. Wednesday should see up to 7 C and hopefully then it will get warmer afterwards. I hope to go camping around the first of May with a tent, unless the nights will be too cold.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 05, 2021, 08:03:26 AM
That sounds really lovely. Yes, it's a garden plant very common here, a thuja, maybe 15 m tall. Our senior Yugoslav neighbours are very much into gardening and spend a lot of time refining the place.

A rather cold day here, but the sun has returned, and there's no trace of snow on the ground now. Wednesday should see up to 7 C and hopefully then it will get warmer afterwards. I hope to go camping around the first of May with a tent, unless the nights will be too cold.
Ah, yes, I remember now that you had mentioned their love of gardening before.

I need to clean out my beds...a bit too windy today to get much done.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2021, 09:40:39 AM
Ah, yes, I remember now that you had mentioned their love of gardening before.

I need to clean out my beds...a bit too windy today to get much done.

PD

Wait until the bees emerge.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on April 05, 2021, 09:42:51 AM
I presume that you're not just wishing me to get stung?  ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2021, 09:44:29 AM
I presume that you're not just wishing me to get stung?  ;)

Don't want you to get stung but we need to save the pollinators, too.

https://xerces.org/blog/leave-the-leaves

DavidW

Quote from: Szykneij on April 05, 2021, 09:42:51 AM

The bees are already out here.  Anything that stings freaks me out.  I saw this huge bumble bee swirling when I was talking to my neighbor.  I had to refrain from running away and it was hard!! :D

Szykneij

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2021, 10:57:43 AM
The bees are already out here.  Anything that stings freaks me out.  I saw this huge bumble bee swirling when I was talking to my neighbor.  I had to refrain from running away and it was hard!! :D

I haven't seen any bumblebees yet, but they're pretty docile creatures. I even pet then occasionally when they've landed on flowers. They're our native pollinators, so are very important to keeping things in balance. I had a honeybee hive one summer, but at the end of the season, the colony just swarmed away. Luckily, the native bumbles, hoverflies, and other solitary bees keep the garden pollinated.

Irons

Panic stations! Forecast in my neck of the woods -5 tonight! I have a banana plant thankfully in a pot so can protect from extreme temperatures but the plan is to plant in the border due to size, will be a big problem next year if repeated. I purchased a greenhouse heater earlier in the year, nothing fancy  but earning it's keep big time at present.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.