How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 29, 2021, 11:11:05 AM
I'm concerned about New Orleans and Louisiana overall with Hurricane Ida.  From what I understand it's entering as a No. 4.  Haven't been following closely enough though.  Any updates?  And don't know about where it's supposed to go from here.  :(  How are other states/areas fairing?

PD

I've been livestreaming it on YT. It's pretty bad south and west of New Orleans around Houma and Thibodaux. It was drifting northwest but now it's just sitting there.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on August 29, 2021, 02:05:08 PM
     I've been livestreaming it on YT. It's pretty bad south and west of New Orleans around Houma and Thibodaux. It was drifting northwest but now it's just sitting there.
Thank you for the information.  I'm trying to catch up now via CNN.  I saw something earlier about the Mississippi River actually flowing backwards at one point!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/29/weather/mississippi-river-hurricane-ida/index.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Fantastic morning and cloud scenery here on a rarely frequented beach on Møn island. The water is still fine for swimming, following prolonged summer warmth. The hills in the far background belong to famous white cliffs.

A local businessman is planning a very big holiday park in this rather pristine area that just has farms and fields, causing a lot of local uproar. They've put up signs saying 'tourists welcome, holiday factories not'. Political decision-makers seem to be benefitting from larger municipality units, that make local protests less important, but we'll see.

MusicTurner

Denmark currently experiencing a short-lasting storm with some hurricane-like winds of 30 m/s, much to the enjoyment of local dare-devil kite surfers at Klitmøller "Cold Hawaii' and Nørre Vorupør coastal villages - at their BIGAIR gathering, allegedly with flights reaching 30 m altitude and 200 m between splashes into the ocean ...

I had to work outdoors today in Copenhagen, but the winds weren't really dramatic, and only 20 m/s. Just 11 days ago it was still possible to swim comfortably in the sea at Møn island, now the colder autumn is here and the days are surely getting shorter.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 23, 2021, 09:53:00 AM
Denmark currently experiencing a short-lasting storm with some hurricane-like winds of 30 m/s, much to the enjoyment of local dare-devil kite surfers at Klitmøller "Cold Hawaii' and Nørre Vorupør coastal villages - at their BIGAIR gathering, allegedly with flights reaching 30 m altitude and 200 m between splashes into the ocean ...

I had to work outdoors today in Copenhagen, but the winds weren't really dramatic, and only 20 m/s. Just 11 days ago it was still possible to swim comfortably in the sea at Møn island, now the colder autumn is here and the days are surely getting shorter.
Strangely enough, it was surprisingly windy here for a while today too.  Those are scary heights and distances!  I saw this article not terribly long ago.  Sometimes things don't always go well:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/us/kite-surfer-dies-fort-lauderdale-home/index.html   :(

Happy fall to all by the way...except for those south of the equator....in which case "Happy Spring"!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, I'm a bit amazed about the unworried press coverage here too. Some of the daredevils are teenagers. Apparently nothing went wrong today, though.

And a nice Autumn (or last part of 2021 :) ) to everyone from here too.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 23, 2021, 11:35:04 AM
Yes, I'm a bit amazed about the unworried press coverage here too. Some of the daredevils are teenagers. Apparently nothing went wrong today, though.

And a nice Autumn (or last part of 2021 :) ) to everyone from here too.
Glad that all went well.  The gentleman who died in Florida was in his 50's.

And thanks (re autumn/seasonal wishes) too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

For our posters like Classical Geek who live (from what I understand) in the Seattle, Washington area or for those in southwestern British Columbia, how are you folks doing?  I've been hearing about a lot of rain and some flooding in those areas.  What are you experiencing at your end?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Even past this queerly warm December, it looks generally like a warmer-than-usual winter here in southern New England. While I don't want to cheer global warming, I don't mind saving on the heating oil.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 29, 2021, 04:50:18 PM
Even past this queerly warm December, it looks generally like a warmer-than-usual winter here in southern New England. While I don't want to cheer global warming, I don't mind saving on the heating oil.
As they liked to say in a certain fantasy series:  Winter is coming Karl.  :(

But I do certainly understand what you mean!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 30, 2021, 04:08:39 AM
As they liked to say in a certain fantasy series:  Winter is coming Karl.  :(

Normally, yes, PD. Yet this year, there is some informed doubt. Will report!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Very hot in Cali, Colombia. Happy New Year!

Jo498

Very mild in the last few days but we had a bit of a rollercoaster. Quite cold, around the freezing point during the day and -5 at night a few days before Xmas. Then 8 degreed or more warmer for a day, then a bit of snow on the 25th (to the delight of my 3 yo niece), and icy rain the two following days (unpleasant and dangerous), so the milder weather since then is welcome although I would not mind a bit of snow.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

"During the morning commute on Friday, snow will be flying across the area, travel will be slow, and the plows will be out as Southern New England is very likely to experience its first snowstorm of the season. It's coming a little later than usual, but we've never had a winter where it hasn't snowed at least 6 inches and it's not going to be this one."

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

MusicTurner

A beautiful and calm day here. A lesser known corner of the Frederiksberg Have park, around 5 C and sunny (albeit with a low sun) in the early afternoon, otherwise a bit of frost.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 06, 2022, 05:44:34 AM
"During the morning commute on Friday, snow will be flying across the area, travel will be slow, and the plows will be out as Southern New England is very likely to experience its first snowstorm of the season. It's coming a little later than usual, but we've never had a winter where it hasn't snowed at least 6 inches and it's not going to be this one."
Get your shovels and sand at hand Karl!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 06, 2022, 05:57:48 AM
A beautiful and calm day here. A lesser known corner of the Frederiksberg Have park, around 5 C and sunny (albeit with a low sun) in the early afternoon, otherwise a bit of frost.

Lovely pic!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA