How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2022, 05:22:19 AM

Shoveled for a good hour and a half here today; I didn't feel guilty about having a chocolate croissant (along with an omelet) afterwards.  ;D

PD

All we got was heavy rain, so I have no excuse for eating the box of Girl Scout cookies I just finished.  :o
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 17, 2022, 05:38:33 AM
All we got was heavy rain, so I have no excuse for eating the box of Girl Scout cookies I just finished.  :o
:laugh:  Thin mints?  If so, I understand; those things are addictive!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2022, 06:39:35 AM

PD

I'm a bigger fan of the Samoas. Now, these are addictive.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2022, 06:49:32 AM
I'm a bigger fan of the Samoas. Now, these are addictive.
Those, if I'm recalling correctly, are the ones with the chocolate stripes and coconut?  Mmmm!

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 17, 2022, 05:30:44 AM
I suppose that like here, it is obligatory to shovel snow away from any public sidewalk outside one's house, if there is a sidewalk ?
Sorry, I missed this early.  And yes, you do have to.  They give you x-amount of time after the storm ends to clear them.

So, you got your new bike?  I think that you were waiting quite some time for it too?  What kind did you get?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2022, 07:13:06 AM
Those, if I'm recalling correctly, are the ones with the chocolate stripes and coconut?  Mmmm!
Sorry, I missed this early.  And yes, you do have to.  They give you x-amount of time after the storm ends to clear them.

So, you got your new bike?  I think that you were waiting quite some time for it too?  What kind did you get?

PD

Those snow rules are the same as here, though in my case, we have staff to take care of it. It can be a rather tough little job; our Yugoslav immigrant neighbour, who owns a villa, sometimes gets up at 6 AM to clean the sidewalk, when it snows ...

The bicycle was just a relatively cheap one, delivered to my door from day to day, as an everyday supplementary bike; the US-produced spare parts for the primary bicycle have been delayed for 3/4 of a year now, due to corona, and the old everyday bike had become rather worn, so that a repair would have cost a good deal too ...

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2022, 06:39:35 AM

PD

No, Lemonades. I already polished off the thin mints. (The danger of having a Girl Scout in the family.)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 17, 2022, 09:31:27 AM
Those snow rules are the same as here, though in my case, we have staff to take care of it. It can be a rather tough little job; our Yugoslav immigrant neighbour, who owns a villa, sometimes gets up at 6 AM to clean the sidewalk, when it snows ...

The bicycle was just a relatively cheap one, delivered to my door from day to day, as an everyday supplementary bike; the US-produced spare parts for the primary bicycle have been delayed for 3/4 of a year now, due to corona, and the old everyday bike had become rather worn, so that a repair would have cost a good deal too ...
Is day to day a business?  Otherwise I'm confused.  Ah, yes, now I remember the story about the parts being an issue.  :(

Quote from: Szykneij on January 17, 2022, 10:00:00 AM
No, Lemonades. I already polished off the thin mints. (The danger of having a Girl Scout in the family.)
Ooops!  I'm behind the times in terms of the varieties!  I also remember enjoying a peanut cookie of theirs...I forget the name of it.

And blame it on the kid!  ;) ;D  Quotas/sales and awards....very important!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

It really is a gorgeous night. A partly cloudy sky with snow on the ground --- 32°F.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2022, 11:12:06 AM
Is day to day a business? Otherwise I'm confused.  Ah, yes, now I remember the story about the parts being an issue.  :(
(...)

PD

I just ordered the new bike from a shop some kilometers away from home, and a delivery of it to my door (only 6.5 Euros), since it had to be assembled a bit with tools & I couldn't just go there & ride back home. Didn't want to pay for the shop doing the assembling (about 40 Euros). Luckily, it went well, and it was very convenient!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 17, 2022, 10:58:45 PM
I just ordered the new bike from a shop some kilometers away from home, and a delivery of it to my door (only 6.5 Euros), since it had to be assembled a bit with tools & I couldn't just go there & ride back home. Didn't want to pay for the shop doing the assembling (about 40 Euros). Luckily, it went well, and it was very convenient!
Glad that all went well!

Slept well after the shoveling.  Maybe more snow soon?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Florida.
I live under the clump of 43/44s just north of Miami

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 23, 2022, 06:42:04 PM
Florida.
I live under the clump of 43/44s just north of Miami
Lucky you!  It's quite cold here!

Or is this unusually cold for you for this time of the year?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 03:58:22 AM
Lucky you!  It's quite cold here!

Or is this unusually cold for you for this time of the year?

PD

This is as cold as it ever gets here. It's forecast to be a little warmer the rest of the week, and get this cold again Friday or Saturday.
There have been times when it got even colder, but not many. Last week was the 45th anniversary of the one time we had actual snow (really just flurries) in South Florida.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 24, 2022, 05:21:34 AM
This is as cold as it ever gets here. It's forecast to be a little warmer the rest of the week, and get this cold again Friday or Saturday.
There have been times when it got even colder, but not many. Last week was the 45th anniversary of the one time we had actual snow (really just flurries) in South Florida.
Hope that you have some warm clothing!

Wondering how the farmers are fairing?  Any big frosts?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 07:44:38 AM
Hope that you have some warm clothing!

Wondering how the farmers are fairing?  Any big frosts?

PD

I've got the heat running.

Frost would have been a problem in the northern half of the state, so farmers and grove owners there will be affected.

krummholz

We had the coldest weather I've ever seen this past weekend, when it hit -32.8º C at home and I saw -29º F (-34 C) on my car's display whilst driving back from Montpelier early Saturday morning. I had some laundry to drop off there and even left my car's engine running for a minute as I went inside, for fear that the starter wouldn't turn it over if I shut it off.

It was quite frigid last night as well, hit -23.8º C early this morning. But that is not too unusual in Vermont; -34º C is just phenomenally cold for recent years. People who've lived here a long time recall -40º days in the last two decades of the 20th century. But the climate has warmed some since then.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 24, 2022, 06:09:14 PM
I've got the heat running.

Frost would have been a problem in the northern half of the state, so farmers and grove owners there will be affected.
Eek!   :(

Quote from: krummholz on January 24, 2022, 07:09:53 PM
We had the coldest weather I've ever seen this past weekend, when it hit -32.8º C at home and I saw -29º F (-34 C) on my car's display whilst driving back from Montpelier early Saturday morning. I had some laundry to drop off there and even left my car's engine running for a minute as I went inside, for fear that the starter wouldn't turn it over if I shut it off.

It was quite frigid last night as well, hit -23.8º C early this morning. But that is not too unusual in Vermont; -34º C is just phenomenally cold for recent years. People who've lived here a long time recall -40º days in the last two decades of the 20th century. But the climate has warmed some since then.
Yep, that's cold!  Don't go long without running your car; a dead battery is not fun to deal with.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Yup. Had to have my battery changed last week after 3 weeks of a cold spell that brought us between -25 and -29 Celsius on at least 5 or 6 days - and still going: forecast for Thursday morning is -26. Last weekend it reached -37 in Quebec City.

Brrrr.🥶

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on January 25, 2022, 10:07:48 AM
Yup. Had to have my battery changed last week after 3 weeks of a cold spell that brought us between -25 and -29 Celsius on at least 5 or 6 days - and still going: forecast for Thursday morning is -26. Last weekend it reached -37 in Quebec City.

Brrrr.🥶
Yes, that is cold!  Hope that you didn't get stuck somewhere and have to call for automotive help?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 26, 2022, 03:17:24 AM
Yes, that is cold!  Hope that you didn't get stuck somewhere and have to call for automotive help?

PD

No, on two different days the engine started after a few difficult attempts and since I was due for an oil change I got it in the garage before it failed me  8)