How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on January 26, 2022, 06:56:49 AM
No, on two different days the engine started after a few difficult attempts and since I was due for an oil change I got it in the garage before it failed me  8)
Smart man!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: André on January 25, 2022, 10:07:48 AM
Yup. Had to have my battery changed last week after 3 weeks of a cold spell that brought us between -25 and -29 Celsius on at least 5 or 6 days - and still going: forecast for Thursday morning is -26. Last weekend it reached -37 in Quebec City.

Brrrr.🥶

-37º inside any city is DAMNED cold!

Another exceptionally cold morning for central VT... we bottomed out at -30 C (-22 F) around 7am. Not quite as cold as last Saturday, but still face- and finger-freezing cold!

Pohjolas Daughter

Did an errand with a friend yesterday late in the afternoon.  He decided to wait in his truck instead.  I came out (He said about 20 minutes later.)...he was going to meet me at the front of the store, but when I went outside he was waving me up towards his vehicle.  When I was closer, I noticed that his hood was up.  Apparently, he hadn't realized that he had left his lights on.  Luckily a kind driver asked what was wrong and as my friend had jumper cables, he gave his vehicle a jump.

I suggested he check to see how old his battery was and have someone check to see how it was charging, but he was anxious to get back home.  Hopefully, he'll do it after work today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: krummholz on January 27, 2022, 03:41:37 AM
-37º inside any city is DAMNED cold!

Another exceptionally cold morning for central VT... we bottomed out at -30 C (-22 F) around 7am. Not quite as cold as last Saturday, but still face- and finger-freezing cold!

Yes, that's bloody cold. We never experience it here in Denmark, but I've tried it during winter in the Baltic republics, luckily with almost no wind. You'd literally long for getting indoors again after about 15 minutes or so, no matter how well dressed you'd be.
We have a family member, an outdoor-type female around 40, who enjoys winter camping in tent in North Scandinavian forests, with down to minus 10 to  minus 20C, but she doesn't dare doing it, when it's colder than that.

In DK, winter has been rather mild. In Jutland, near the German border, there are reports of migrating flocks of birds coming back from Southern Europe, much ahead of schedule; usually, that would be in March. We might get some frost next week, though.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 27, 2022, 04:02:31 AM
Yes, that's bloody cold. We never experience it here in Denmark, but I've tried it during winter in the Baltic republics, luckily with almost no wind. You'd literally long for getting indoors again after about 15 minutes or so, no matter how well dressed you'd be.
We have a family member, an outdoor-type female around 40, who enjoys winter camping in tent in North Scandinavian forests, with down to minus 10 to  minus 20C, but she doesn't dare doing it, when it's colder than that.

In DK, winter has been rather mild. In Jutland, near the German border, there are reports of migrating flocks of birds coming back from Southern Europe, much ahead of schedule; usually, that would be in March. We might get some frost next week, though.
Poor confused birds!  :(

Bet that it's lovely in the forests with all of the snow!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 27, 2022, 04:02:31 AM

She sounds like a hardy soul! I don't even go for day hikes when it's -20 out, and I'm pretty much an outdoor-type person. My limit is somewhere around -13 C, or sometimes -15 if it's sunny... much colder than that, and my toes start to freeze within a half hour or so.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on January 24, 2022, 06:09:14 PM
I've got the heat running.

Frost would have been a problem in the northern half of the state, so farmers and grove owners there will be affected.

Zowie!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Nor'easter, 'bomb cyclone' to deliver heavy snow, wind to East Coast

By Matthew Cappucci
Today at 11:34 a.m. EST Updated today at 11:55 a.m. EST

Less than two days remain before a major winter storm rocks the Northeast and coastal Mid-Atlantic, and yet snowfall forecasts continue to fluctuate wildly. Disagreeing simulations are playing a tug-of-war with jackpot snow totals, but the propensity for a major winter storm — and possibly a blizzard — on Saturday remains.

What's almost certain is that somebody in the Northeast will see a foot or more of snow. That's most likely in coastal Maine or in eastern Massachusetts, particularly from Boston to Cape Cod. Totals topping 16 inches with blizzard conditions can't be ruled out there.

Farther south, cities like Hartford, Conn., New York and even Salisbury, Md., and Virginia Beach could be in for a hefty snowfall, with a sneaky plastering set to back in off the ocean.

Winter storm watches, affecting more than 35 million people, stretch from coastal North Carolina and the Virginia Tidewater all the way northeast to the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border. They will probably be extended north into Maine later Thursday. The watches include Virginia Beach; Richmond; Ocean City, Md.; Dover, Del.; Philadelphia; New York; Hartford; Providence, R.I.; Boston; and Worcester, Mass.

In addition to heavy snow, some residents of Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts and coastal Maine and New Hampshire will see a 1- to 3-foot ocean surge as the storm pushes water toward the coastline. The surge, combined with high astronomical tides, could spur flooding and beach erosion. Strong to damaging winds are possible, too, with gusts topping 60 mph on the Cape and Islands.

The town of Scituate, Mass., is calling for voluntary evacuations of residents occupying vulnerable beachside homes.

"Travel could be very difficult to impossible," wrote the National Weather Service office in Boston. "Strong winds could cause tree damage."

A pair of "shortwaves," or high-altitude lobes of cold air, low pressure and spin nestled within dips in the jet stream, were rolling southeast across North America on Thursday morning. The first was over Montana, and the second was slipping through northern Alberta. Both will overlap and "phase" on Friday.

That approaching upper-air kicker will energize a zone of low pressure offshore of the Carolinas beginning Friday afternoon. As that low treks northeast, it will undergo "bombogenesis," or explosive intensification. In fact, it will more than meet the requisite breakneck pace to qualify as a "bomb cyclone," its minimum central air pressure set to plummet.

That will enhance the storm's winds and precipitation as the counterclockwise-swirling low tosses snow back at the coast. Near the waters, a heavier, wetter snow is likely, but temperatures in the teens and 20s inland should favor a lighter snow with a greater fluff factor.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Some Mass. communities will get 20"+ We're in the 12-18" belt, and once I'm back from PT at noon, I'm staying in.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

It's time to do some defensive grocery shopping. I expect a big crowd at Star Market.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

It's supposed to hit a broad swathe of the East Coast.   :(

I did my grocery shopping Wednesday....and picked up some more salt/sand mixture.

Shovel is at the ready!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

My father was visiting me this week.  He was supposed to fly home to Boston tomorrow (Saturday). He called yesterday to change it, so he flew back this morning.
In fact, his plane is due to land at Logan 25 minutes from now.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2022, 07:15:56 AM
My father was visiting me this week.  He was supposed to fly home to Boston tomorrow (Saturday). He called yesterday to change it, so he flew back this morning.
In fact, his plane is due to land at Logan 25 minutes from now.
That was smart of him.  Even smarter though would be to stay with his son in sunny and farmer Florida for a few more days me thinks!  ;) :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 28, 2022, 07:20:58 AM
That was smart of him.  Even smarter though would be to stay with his son in sunny and farmer Florida for a few more days me thinks!  ;) :)

PD

To put it in perspective, the overnight low tomorrow in my locale is predicted to be 36 or 37 F, which will make it the coldest night in more than 10 years (according to the TV weatherperson).  So it won't be that much warmer!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2022, 07:40:26 AM
To put it in perspective, the overnight low tomorrow in my locale is predicted to be 36 or 37 F, which will make it the coldest night in more than 10 years (according to the TV weatherperson).  So it won't be that much warmer!
I had heard something like that in the news...brr!  And hard on plants (including crops) and animals too.  Heard forecasts included falling iguanas!  And a warning not to bring them inside.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 28, 2022, 07:47:28 AM
I had heard something like that in the news...brr!  And hard on plants (including crops) and animals too.  Heard forecasts included falling iguanas!  And a warning not to bring them inside.

PD

Falling iguanas is now almost a meme. Happens every time we have a cold spell.
But the truth is that when the temperature goes below a certain point, they go comatose/instant hibernation to survive.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2022, 07:54:34 AM
Falling iguanas is now almost a meme. Happens every time we have a cold spell.
But the truth is that when the temperature goes below a certain point, they go comatose/instant hibernation to survive.
That's what I understood...and also the warning not to bring them indoors--at the risk of them suddenly "waking up" and finding out that you have one running around your house!  And I guess that also means not to go walking/running underneath trees?  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Being snowed in means I'll be shooting down more enemy bombers than usual. And I'm making chili, which is snowstorm food.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on January 28, 2022, 09:00:07 AM
     Being snowed in means I'll be shooting down more enemy bombers than usual. And I'm making chili, which is snowstorm food.
So, what do you put in your chili?  Though that might be better answered in the eating thread....

Good book reading weather too.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 28, 2022, 09:39:15 AM
So, what do you put in your chili?  Though that might be better answered in the eating thread....

Good book reading weather too.  ;D

PD

I use a box of chili spices I buy online, ground beef, black and pinto beans, cans of diced tomato and tomato sauce, fresh garlic and onions, beef broth, and then serve with cheese, salsa and chips. The bombers are Tupolev Tu-22Ms.