How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on January 28, 2022, 09:49:53 AM
     I use a box of chili spices I buy online, ground beef, black and pinto beans, cans of diced tomato and tomato sauce, fresh garlic and onions, beef broth, and then serve with cheese, salsa and chips. The bombers are Tupolev Tu-22Ms.
Whose chili spices do you like?  Sounds yummy in any event!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on January 28, 2022, 06:53:48 AM
     It's time to do some defensive grocery shopping. I expect a big crowd at Star Market.

I hit the Stop 'n' Shop after PT.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2022, 05:16:44 AM
Some Mass. communities will get 20"+ We're in the 12-18" belt, and once I'm back from PT at noon, I'm staying in.

Stay safe Karl!

We're in the "dusting to a couple inches" belt here, though the NWS forecast discussion warns that the storm track could still move east or west, so shovel ready to go! I have an errand to run in the morning, but after that I don't plan to go anywhere tomorrow and will watch the storm news carefully.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on January 28, 2022, 10:41:13 AM

Thanks!

Trying to figure out how much snow Kenan will mostly likely dump in my area; the Weather Channel keeps on shifting maps though just when I have almost figured out what they are showing for my area!  >:(  Urgh!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

The storm 'Malik' expected to reach hurricane levels and possibly the worst floodings in 150 years in parts of Denmark during the next 24 hours, including in North-West Jutland and the Elsinore region north of Copenhagen, where for example a beach hotel has improvised a long wall of containers at the seafront.

But because of several storms in recent years, precautions and hindrances are generally better than previously, and the capital, where I live, will only experience storm-like conditions ...

Our landlord fastened the huge trampoline in the courtyard using some large stones, we'll see if that's enough ...

MusicTurner

A good deal of reporting here about the US snow storms too, including now an apparently official warning in Florida:

Don't place yourself under large trees, because there's a risk of a falling, frozen iguana hitting you in your head !

71 dB

MASSIVE snow storm here in Helsinki!

I would include a photo, but moderators approve only my messages, not attachement so I can't do it. Sorry.

However, here is Youtube video about it (the sound is really crappy, but the visuals are the thing here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqgGVzdS8I
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 29, 2022, 05:35:24 AM
The storm 'Malik' expected to reach hurricane levels and possibly the worst floodings in 150 years in parts of Denmark during the next 24 hours, including in North-West Jutland and the Elsinore region north of Copenhagen, where for example a beach hotel has improvised a long wall of containers at the seafront.

But because of several storms in recent years, precautions and hindrances are generally better than previously, and the capital, where I live, will only experience storm-like conditions ...

Our landlord fastened the huge trampoline in the courtyard using some large stones, we'll see if that's enough ...

Quote from: 71 dB on January 29, 2022, 12:15:29 PM

I would include a photo, but moderators approve only my messages, not attachement so I can't do it. Sorry.
Sorry to hear about the horrible conditions in Finland and Denmark.  Haven't had a chance yet to check into it; how are you guys doing?  Is the storm over yet?  And have many people lost power?

Fingers crossed for you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Upload the image to a website, link to it in your post and surround the link with [ img][ /img]. I added spaces so it would show up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

At a guess, I'd say we got perhaps 10" here in Woburn, Wonder of the North. The landlord has been plying his snowblower all morning. Sunny now and cold, but not bitter. (Not that I'm going out today.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2022, 07:22:59 AM
At a guess, I'd say we got perhaps 10" here in Woburn, Wonder of the North. The landlord has been plying his snowblower all morning. Sunny now and cold, but not bitter. (Not that I'm going out today.)

Keep warm and safe Karl - saw that Boston got about 2 ft of snow (near or a new record?) - we lucked out with just 1-2 inches - pic from my doorbell cam yesterday morning.   8)  Dave

Karl Henning

Thanks, Dave, and nice pic! According to the Globe, we got 15.5" ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 30, 2022, 03:03:27 AM
Sorry to hear about the horrible conditions in Finland and Denmark.  Haven't had a chance yet to check into it; how are you guys doing?  Is the storm over yet?  And have many people lost power?

Fingers crossed for you!

PD

Thanks for your concern, but "a massive snowstorm" in Finland isn't as dramatic as it is in a country less used to this kind of weather. We don't get these everyday. It wasn't as bad as predicted. We got 15-20 cm of snow. Driving conditions where extremely bad. Flights were canceled. Looks like there has been power losses in rural areas (Trees full on snow bend on electric wires).

Video from the storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqgGVzdS8I
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

JBS

The overnight lows here in So Florida didn't go as low as forecast, but were only slightly lower than last weekend.  So instead of the coldest night in a decade, we only got the coldest night in the last two years.
Tonight will be about as cold, then the back to normal temperatures process begins tomorrow.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 30, 2022, 03:03:27 AM

Fingers crossed for you!

PD

Thanks, here in DK there were a lot of minor damages, but it could have been much worse. It's rare that we have some really serious disasters; one villa was split by a falling tree, and then it became national news. But there were 1000s of smaller damages and a bit of flooding of some houses. Flooding did reach high up on the walls and windows of the famous hall with preserved viking ships in Roskilde; that museum was built before floodings/climate change became a thing, but the water stayed outside, and work has begun on some new premises there ... a lot of the fences around our block were destroyed, and the trampoline in the courtyard was bent, but that was all here at my place ... the weather became calmer soon, and now it's just a fine day.

Pohjolas Daughter

Glad that things didn't get that bad in your countries.

Here, most people know how to drive in snow, but there are always some idiots alas who put themselves and other people in harms way.

JBS,

How badly have crops been damaged in Florida and in other southern states?  Haven't heard much about it recently.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 31, 2022, 03:07:35 AM

JBS,

How badly have crops been damaged in Florida and in other southern states?  Haven't heard much about it recently.

PD

Sorry, I haven't heard anything either, so there's nothing I can tell you.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 31, 2022, 06:26:00 AM
Sorry, I haven't heard anything either, so there's nothing I can tell you.
Well, we'll find out soon.  I did see some articles about various growers in the mid section of the state spraying with water and/or erecting tarps first (depending upon what they were growing and their setups.

Quote from: drogulus on January 31, 2022, 09:04:25 AM

Looks rather nasty!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter