How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

South Florida weather this weekend. I'm in the orange.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

LKB

Years ago, while working the graveyard shift during a frigid February in Kansas, l got bored and out of curiosity brought up the NWS website for Orlando, FL.

The current conditions were something like 74°, with a wind chill of 66°.

And l said, " Bastards... "
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

greg

101-106 F forecast each day this week here. (San Antonio)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mirror Image

Hot and humid. Yesterday, the temperature got up to 95℉ and today it's a little cooler since it's currently raining. I hate the summer (even if technically speaking, it's not actually summer yet).

SonicMan46

Reunion in Knoxville, Tennessee after 2 1/2 years!  Weather is HOT, low 90s F!

We've not seen our son and DIL (live in Indianapolis) in 2 1/2 years nor our 'granddog' Brody who is now 3 years old (saw him at about 6 months in the late fall of 2019 - then COVID hit early the next year). Well, we decided on a reunion by meeting somewhere in-between - picked Knoxville, TN - a little farther drive for them. Stephen, our son, found a beautiful house in the western suburbs. Our rental house has 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2/ baths, basement media center w/ game consoles, and could handle 2-3 families w/ kids - see pics below (I took the last 4 w/ my iPhone).

Because of the heat and a dog, our options are limited - we've been to Knoxville several times before and have seen nearly all of the attractions - so great catching up and just relaxing - the delivery services are excellent in this locale, so ordering dinners; plus I brought 4 bottles of wine and we picked up a 6-pack of beer - so the dinners and nightly entertainment are covered -  :laugh:  Dave

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2022, 08:20:02 AM
Hot and humid. Yesterday, the temperature got up to 95℉ and today it's a little cooler since it's currently raining. I hate the summer (even if technically speaking, it's not actually summer yet).

Yeah yesterday I shut the blinds and turned up the temp to 78 to not have my AC running all the time.  I then thought I would today at least clear skies for flying and it was raining.  Go figure.

DavidW

Holy cow what does your son do to afford that house?  Blackmail billionaires? ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on June 14, 2022, 03:59:59 PM
Holy cow what does your son do to afford that house?  Blackmail billionaires? ;D

LOL! David - we're sharing the cost for 4 nights and not that expensive (wife and son are working out the split rate) - a lot of these mountain cabins, houses, etc. can be found at decent rates and actually cheap if shared by 2 or 3 families (this place would easily accommodate 3 couples w/ a total of 5 children).  Our son, Stephen, works in Indy for NAMIC now 20+ years - he started in the IT department (his degree from IU is in Telecommunications w/ a minor in Computer Science - that's what we get for buying an Apple II+ in 1980 when he was 7 y/o) - he's now Assistant Head of IT and a Senior VP over a number of other departments - makes a good salary and his wife is working from home - they have a nice house in Carmel, kind of a ritzy northern burb of Indianapolis.  Dave :)

DavidW

Oh I thought he owned that house! :D  Now I did see you said "meet inbetween" I was just too tired last night.

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 14, 2022, 04:47:48 PM
LOL! David - we're sharing the cost for 4 nights and not that expensive (wife and son are working out the split rate) - a lot of these mountain cabins, houses, etc. can be found at decent rates and actually cheap if shared by 2 or 3 families (this place would easily accommodate 3 couples w/ a total of 5 children).  Our son, Stephen, works in Indy for NAMIC now 20+ years - he started in the IT department (his degree from IU is in Telecommunications w/ a minor in Computer Science - that's what we get for buying an Apple II+ in 1980 when he was 7 y/o) - he's now Assistant Head of IT and a Senior VP over a number of other departments - makes a good salary and his wife is working from home - they have a nice house in Carmel, kind of a ritzy northern burb of Indianapolis.  Dave :)
I'm from Indiana originally. Carmel is famous for its roundabouts - it has, I think, more traffic circles than all the rest of America combined. They elected one mayor who had studied abroad in Europe and he got the local traffic engineers to look at safety data. The whole city has gotten onboard and become a model.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2022, 06:45:23 AM
I'm from Indiana originally. Carmel is famous for its roundabouts - it has, I think, more traffic circles than all the rest of America combined. They elected one mayor who had studied abroad in Europe and he got the local traffic engineers to look at safety data. The whole city has gotten onboard and become a model.

Hi Brian - yes on visits, our son has negotiated many roundabouts - according to their webpage, there are 138 of these circles in a relatively small city (50 sq miles according to the link) - forget the name of one street that we often use - there must be 6-8 roundabouts.   Dave :)

Szykneij

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2022, 06:45:23 AM

In Massachusetts, we call them "rotaries". I recently found out that the rules regarding them differ from state to state. Here, the vehicle that's already in the rotary has the right of way and the vehicle entering must yield. Apparently, that's not the case in some other locales.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

krummholz

Roundabouts, rotaries traffic circles... whatever you call them, I think they are getting more common everywhere. They are fairly ubiquitous in Vermont as well, and I think some new ones have been put in since I moved here 8 years ago.

DavidW

Quote from: Szykneij on June 15, 2022, 01:32:31 PM
In Massachusetts, we call them "rotaries". I recently found out that the rules regarding them differ from state to state. Here, the vehicle that's already in the rotary has the right of way and the vehicle entering must yield. Apparently, that's not the case in some other locales.

We have exactly one in my town where three different streets meet and we follow that rule of yielding to whomever is in the circle.  Works well and way faster for clearing traffic than installing stop lights.  I guess it was worth the two years it took for them to build it.

LKB

Last week, an EF-1 ( i.e. wimpy ) tornado cut a nearly straight path due east near my brother's neighborhood.

Twenty minutes later, the warning sirens finally sounded....

Apparently, people were very unhappy about that.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

For those of you in the UK, I hope you can keep cool in the upcoming days.  I'm guessing many of you don't have central AC. :(

pjme

Quote from: krummholz on June 15, 2022, 01:57:50 PM
Roundabouts, rotaries traffic circles... whatever you call them, I think they are getting more common everywhere. They are fairly ubiquitous in Vermont as well, and I think some new ones have been put in since I moved here 8 years ago.

"Rotonde kunst" - art on rotaries.... be prepared to laugh.
https://www.rotondekunst.eu/index.php?page=rotonde&rotonde_id=131

Next monday and tuesday the Low Countries will be hit by extremely hot weather : 35 - 40 ° celsius.

71 dB

It has been cold in Finland lately, like +16°C cold.  :-\  The last half of June was very warm, but July has been colder so far...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DaveF

Quote from: DavidW on July 16, 2022, 08:55:59 AM
For those of you in the UK, I hope you can keep cool in the upcoming days.  I'm guessing many of you don't have central AC. :(

Thanks - Monday looks like being the peak of it, with 40° forecast in London, something like 2° hotter than the all-time UK record, and a slightly more bearable 38° here in South Wales.  Then it's the usual British thing of a thunderstorm followed by a return to normal temperatures.  If we stay indoors, we'll be OK - this is where a well-insulated house is nice to have.  But you're right, central aircon is almost unknown in British homes - wonder why, given our usual lovely climate?  Rather worryingly, I was booked onto an African drumming workshop this weekend, but the group running it postponed because it was too hot for them - and they are from Ghana.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

krummholz

Quote from: DaveF on July 16, 2022, 09:41:59 AM
Thanks - Monday looks like being the peak of it, with 40° forecast in London, something like 2° hotter than the all-time UK record, and a slightly more bearable 38° here in South Wales.

Yikes! :(  Very glad I don't live in England right now. Our current temp of 29º feels uncomfortably warm to me. I cannot imagine sweltering in that kind of heat, especially in a big city like London. (Well, actually, yes I can, since I experienced it once, but hope never to again.)

And... Poju, 16º is, yes, a bit chilly if you're just standing around, but it's perfect hiking weather!

(For those unaccustomed to Celsius, 40º C = 104º F, 29º C = 84-5º F, and 16º C = 60-1º F.)