How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

It's not too late to bend the curve down from the worst case. I think the "too late" approach is no better than not knowing much. Both give priority to inaction as a viable option.

It's bad, one supposes, and it will get worse. Where does "too late" come in?

Another popular approach for the inaction caucus is to run out of dollars for any action to mitigate the effects. Because it will be hugely expensive to undertake mitigation efforts we should surrender to the even more expensive passive acceptance route. That runs out of dollars, too, as we see presently with the growing costs of disaster relief as disasters continue to pile up in a way we super know about right now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on July 20, 2022, 08:14:07 AM
     It's not too late to bend the curve down from the worst case. I think the "too late" approach is no better than not knowing much. Both give priority to inaction as a viable option.

Point taken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

It's 97 F. outside. It's time to turn on the a/c and it's only just past noon. The overnight temps will be a horror show, like ~80 F.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Que

Quote from: drogulus on July 20, 2022, 08:14:07 AM

It's bad, one supposes, and it will get worse. Where does "too late" come in?

That's not what I said. I said "too late to prevent major disruptions" 
Where does "too late to bend the curve and prevent a worst case scenario" come in?

Of course we need to do everything in our power to prevent anything worse. Hopefully current events will be a powerful stimulus for action.

That being said....if we look at the now unavoidable, the geopolitical consequences are already likely to be massive.

For instance, as the Ukraine war has demonstrated, the Middle East is already unable to feed its population by itself. Add to the likely disruption of food imports a water crisis, and the recipe for a disaster is complete.

Just one example.

drogulus

Quote from: Que on July 20, 2022, 08:28:44 AM
That's not what I said. I said "too late to prevent major disruptions" 
Where does "too late to bend the curve and prevent a worst case scenario" come in?

Of course we need to do everything in our power to prevent anything worse. Hopefully current events will be a powerful stimulus for action.

That being said....if we look at the now unavoidable, the geopolitical consequences are already likely to be massive.

For instance, as the Ukraine war has demonstrated, the Middle East is already unable to feed its population by itself. Add to the likely disruption of food imports a water crisis, and the recipe for a disaster is complete.

Just one example.

My critique of "too late" is how it bolsters the counsel of despair, not the unobjectionable claim that it's too late to prevent a particular consequence from among all the future consequences that are likely. The unavoidable and avoidable are all reasonably clear to see and have been for decades. Delay in action moves more into the unavoidable category without exhausting the avoidable. It will get unavoidably worse and avoidably worse, and that will continue to be the case as long as we have the material means to affect outcomes. That might run out in the future. Dollar runouts OTOH are never a consideration. Stuff is what runs out.

I wasn't arguing with all forms of "too late", only the most noxious and mendacious ones.

krummholz

Currently 34º C (93-94 F) in the backyard... probably a degree or two warmer out on the street. The temperature has definitely overachieved here today... :(

drogulus

Quote from: krummholz on July 20, 2022, 11:32:34 AM
Currently 34º C (93-94 F) in the backyard... probably a degree or two warmer out on the street. The temperature has definitely overachieved here today... :(

In NE we are fortunate that climate horror is lower than it is in other regions that cover a very large part of the country. Oddly, portions of the Deep South are also spared the worst according to a climate change projection map from the Institute For Liberal Hoaxes.

krummholz

Quote from: drogulus on July 22, 2022, 08:50:04 AM
     In NE we are fortunate that climate horror is lower than it is in other regions that cover a very large part of the country. Oddly, portions of the Deep South are also spared the worst according to a climate change projection map from the Institute For Liberal Hoaxes.

Methinks you just made that up... ;)

In any case, anyone who thinks the NE will be spared has forgotten Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane irene...

drogulus

Quote from: krummholz on July 22, 2022, 08:56:37 AM
Methinks you just made that up... ;)

In any case, anyone who thinks the NE will be spared has forgotten Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane irene...

I'm a hoax hoaxer.

I did say spared the worst, not spared.

Brian

According to the weather forecast, there is a possibility that one day in the next 10 may NOT be over 100 degrees.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2022, 01:05:48 PM
According to the weather forecast, there is a possibility that one day in the next 10 may NOT be over 100 degrees.

You should come down to cool Montgomery County where it was only 99 F today.  8)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

staxomega

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2022, 01:05:48 PM

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 23, 2022, 02:56:39 PM
You should come down to cool Montgomery County where it was only 99 F today.  8)

More reasons why Texas alternates between number one or two for states we want to move to  ;D

Spotted Horses

It is important to recognize there are two kinds of exceptional weather. In Houston it was reported that we had the hottest June in ~150 years of record keeping. But if you look at the daily temperature records (attached) there were no unprecedented high temperatures. It just stayed at the very highest part of the normal range, and basically never visited the average or low part of the normal range. (The winter, in contrast, visited the high and low parts of the range more or less randomly.) This is in contrast to the case in London, where the temperature climbed way out of the normal range, to temperatures that had never been recorded. In the first case (Houston) we got locked into typically high temperature. In London, a weather system formed that had never formed before (within the period of record keeping). I find this latter case more scary. It is the same for the exceptional heat in British Columbia and Washington state last year.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

How are you folks in the UK and Western Europe doing?  I've been hearing about the record-breaking temps (and overall lack of a/c....but perhaps that is changing--at least according to a BBC article?).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 24, 2022, 09:14:50 AM
How are you folks in the UK and Western Europe doing?  I've been hearing about the record-breaking temps (and overall lack of a/c....but perhaps that is changing--at least according to a BBC article?).

PD

Great to "see" you, PD!

TD: Heat Advisory (again) in Massachusetts.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

pjme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 24, 2022, 09:14:50 AM

PD

The Low Countries had a couple of atrociously hot days. It is better now with -alas- very little rain.
The draught is terrible though...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2022, 10:16:15 AM
Great to "see" you, PD!

TD: Heat Advisory (again) in Massachusetts.
Thanks!

Quote from: pjme on July 24, 2022, 11:45:24 PM
The Low Countries had a couple of atrociously hot days. It is better now with -alas- very little rain.
The draught is terrible though...
Not much rain here either, alas.  Perhaps some showers today if we're lucky?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: drogulus on July 22, 2022, 08:50:04 AM
Oddly, portions of the Deep South are also spared the worst according to a climate change projection map from the Institute For Liberal Hoaxes.

Yes it has been an ordinary summer here with low 90s for the highs and thunderstorms every other day.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 25, 2022, 06:26:36 AM
Yes it has been an ordinary summer here with low 90s for the highs and thunderstorms every other day.
You're getting rain?!  No fair!

I was delighted to see it start sprinkling (gently) a short time ago; that lasted for maybe 5 minutes--max?  :-[  Fingers crossed here.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 25, 2022, 07:09:50 AM
You're getting rain?!  No fair!

I was delighted to see it start sprinkling (gently) a short time ago; that lasted for maybe 5 minutes--max?  :-[  Fingers crossed here.

PD

The rain last night was very hit-or-miss. We got nearly 18mm (over 1/2") - without thunder, at least none loud enough to wake me up - other spots got torrential rain and severe storms. The worst thing about last night was the protracted high temperatures - 28º C (82 F) at 2200h. Not uncommon in Detroit, but the first time I've experienced a "tropical" evening like that since moving to VT 8 years ago.