How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on July 25, 2022, 07:16:18 AM
The rain last night was very hit-or-miss. We got nearly 18mm (over 1/2") - without thunder, at least none loud enough to wake me up - other spots got torrential rain and severe storms. The worst thing about last night was the protracted high temperatures - 28º C (82 F) at 2200h. Not uncommon in Detroit, but the first time I've experienced a "tropical" evening like that since moving to VT 8 years ago.
Yeah, the heat is getting to me too!  Bleh!  And I'll pass on the violent storms thank you.

We must have received a tiny bit of rain last night as this morning, I could see a few tiny pools on top of a roof; however, the ground was already dry!

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 25, 2022, 01:49:00 AM
Thanks!
Not much rain here either, alas.  Perhaps some showers today if we're lucky?

PD

We have a chance of rain a bit after noon. It's been borderline amusing: we had a Heat Advisory for Wednesday and Thursday of last week, and with each new day we found it had been extended, day by tediously hot day.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 25, 2022, 07:42:44 AM
We have a chance of rain a bit after noon. It's been borderline amusing: we had a Heat Advisory for Wednesday and Thursday of last week, and with each new day we found it had been extended, day by tediously hot day.

There's usually a clump of days in July when it's hotter in Boston than it is in Miami, but those clumps have been much shorter.

Here in Florida climate change isn't making summers hotter; it's making summers longer, at the expense of spring and fall.
There used to be periods of 4-6 weeks around May and October, in which the weather would be dry, warm but not hot, low humidity, slight breezes. Now if those periods last 1 or 2 weeks, we're lucky.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on July 25, 2022, 08:01:38 AM
There's usually a clump of days in July when it's hotter in Boston than it is in Miami, but those clumps have been much shorter.

Here in Florida climate change isn't making summers hotter; it's making summers longer, at the expense of spring and fall.
There used to be periods of 4-6 weeks around May and October, in which the weather would be dry, warm but not hot, low humidity, slight breezes. Now if those periods last 1 or 2 weeks, we're lucky.

Oof!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

(looks outside)

"bright"
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 25, 2022, 07:09:50 AM
You're getting rain?!  No fair!

Well I have to mow every week due to all the rain so there is that!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 25, 2022, 03:15:00 PM
Well I have to mow every week due to all the rain so there is that!
;D

But seriously, pleased that somewhere in the world, someone is getting needed rainfall....and in hopefully, appropriate amounts.  Sadly, I've been hearing of flash floods elsewhere lately...like in Tennessee.  :(
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/repeating-downpours-to-raise-dangerous-flash-flood-risk-along-a-1200-mile-zone/ar-AAZXqNC

No rain here yesterday and as I had skipped watering my veggie garden in (extremely hopeful) anticipation of some good rain, I was out there again early this morning giving things a good watering.  This time, though, I also dragged my hose out as far as I could and spent about half of the time also watering some perennials and a tree that I had planted several years ago.  A soaker hose would have worked better in some areas, but mine finally died and I haven't replaced it.  Chance of showers again later on this week; I'll believe it when I see it.

Thankfully, the horrible heat and humidity are gone for a bit.

Any rain lately (or predicted) in any of your areas in Europe...or elsewhere that really need it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Today is quite a bit milder, thankfully.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Well the heat wave starts today here!

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on July 27, 2022, 07:23:28 AM

I almost read the New York Times article with a headline and map which indicate so. I was inclined to accept teir resubscription offer, but their site seemed buggy ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on July 27, 2022, 07:23:28 AM
You have my sympathies.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Today will be the second day at over 100°F in these parts, with forecasts showing these temps into the weekend.  The 1941 record for consecutive days over 100°F may be broken.  We will not beat last year's 116°F record (higher than Dallas' all-time record, apparently), and helpfully the sun sets a bit sooner in late July.  The death toll from this heat wave should be appreciably lower than last year's tally of 72.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on July 27, 2022, 10:20:37 AM
Today will be the second day at over 100°F in these parts, with forecasts showing these temps into the weekend.  The 1941 record for consecutive days over 100°F may be broken.  We will not beat last year's 116°F record (higher than Dallas' all-time record, apparently), and helpfully the sun sets a bit sooner in late July.  The death toll from this heat wave should be appreciably lower than last year's tally of 72.
Nasty news.  I hope that the weather improves soon for you and others in your area.

Read an article a couple of days ago about the London fire fighters receiving more fire calls in one day than since WWII!  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62232654

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 27, 2022, 07:29:05 AM
I almost read the New York Times article with a headline and map which indicate so. I was inclined to accept teir resubscription offer, but their site seemed buggy ....

I am a subscriber (to the NYTimes) but I'm getting it through my Nook.  So that way I just have one newspaper delivered in the morning instead of me constantly going over every tidbit of news I find online.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 27, 2022, 10:33:41 AM
Nasty news.  I hope that the weather improves soon for you and others in your area.

Read an article a couple of days ago about the London fire fighters receiving more fire calls in one day than since WWII!  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62232654

PD

Hit 40c (104f) last week here in the UK, PD. Highest temps ever recorded. Expecting a hosepipe ban at any point not that will matter too much as my lawn is wasted. :(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on July 27, 2022, 04:45:25 PM
I am a subscriber (to the NYTimes) but I'm getting it through my Nook.  So that way I just have one newspaper delivered in the morning instead of me constantly going over every tidbit of news I find online.

Nook still exists?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 28, 2022, 07:05:05 AM
Nook still exists?

There's even still a brick-&-mortar B & N in nearby Burlington, Mass.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 28, 2022, 07:31:47 AM
There's even still a brick-&-mortar B & N in nearby Burlington, Mass.

I actually have a choice of b&m B&N stores: one across the street from my place of work, one a five minute drive from my house, one about 15 minutes further west.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 28, 2022, 06:58:02 AM
Hit 40c (104f) last week here in the UK, PD. Highest temps ever recorded. Expecting a hosepipe ban at any point not that will matter too much as my lawn is wasted. :(
Ouch!  Well, hopefully it just went dormant and will recover when you get some regular rain.  Have you watered any of your shrubbery/trees/perennials Irons?

We received some much-needed rain here yesterday--not certain how much, but grateful for what we did get.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter