How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 23, 2022, 01:20:27 PM
OTOH: Flash flood warning in Providence, surrounding areas as heavy rains drench R.I.

Eek!  Not good!  How did things end up going there?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 24, 2022, 06:01:19 AM
Eek!  Not good!  How did things end up going there?

PD

They closed part of I-195, some stranded vehicles.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 24, 2022, 07:46:47 AM
They closed part of I-195, some stranded vehicles.
I did a bit of googling later and saw an article about the Providence harbor folks helping to prevent three boats from sinking.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 24, 2022, 09:48:36 AM
I did a bit of googling later and saw an article about the Providence harbor folks helping to prevent three boats from sinking.

PD

Oof!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Forecast high for today here in Menlo Park is 108° Fahrenheit. That'll be in a couple hours.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on September 06, 2022, 12:47:31 PM
Forecast high for today here in Menlo Park is 108° Fahrenheit. That'll be in a couple hours.

Oof! The weather here has taken a milder turn, plus some welcome rain.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

I don't think it actually got warmer than the mid-nineties yesterday. And, l noticed the forecast high kept changing right through the afternoon...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 07, 2022, 12:18:37 AM
I don't think it actually got warmer than the mid-nineties yesterday. And, l noticed the forecast high kept changing right through the afternoon...
Still, hard to think of it being that hot in the Bay area!  The last time I was out there (ages ago), I remember it being cool and typically foggy in the morning; we were right by the Bay.

Still remember how much I enjoyed the sour dough bread!  :D

PD

p.s.  Thankfully, we've received some rain (not certain how much, but it's been a bit soggy lately).  Hope that all of my remaining tomatoes haven't split! That would make me  :'( .
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

San Diego Gas & Electric is now sending out warnings of rolling blackouts.  38C and above highs in September are not unusual here (I'm about 10 miles from the ocean).  It's the humidity that's making the heat dangerous.   I grew up here in a ranch-style home without AC, and we just opened windows and ran fans in the then typically dry summers.   

The overnight low for tomorrow is forecast to be 27C.  Luckily, the forecast is for rain and much cooler temperatures after Saturday.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on September 07, 2022, 03:49:08 PM
San Diego Gas & Electric is now sending out warnings of rolling blackouts.  38C and above highs in September are not unusual here (I'm about 10 miles from the ocean).  It's the humidity that's making the heat dangerous.   I grew up here in a ranch-style home without AC, and we just opened windows and ran fans in the then typically dry summers.   

The overnight low for tomorrow is forecast to be 27C.  Luckily, the forecast is for rain and much cooler temperatures after Saturday.

That's Houston weather, basically every day from June through September.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on September 07, 2022, 03:49:08 PM

I'm so sorry.  It's been a while since I've been there, but it wasn't that hot,.....so sorry for you.  Do you have any solar panels?  Are they very common in your area?  Just thinking about alternatives.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2022, 05:38:19 AM
Still, hard to think of it being that hot in the Bay area!  The last time I was out there (ages ago), I remember it being cool and typically foggy in the morning; we were right by the Bay.

Still remember how much I enjoyed the sour dough bread!  :D

PD

p.s.  Thankfully, we've received some rain (not certain how much, but it's been a bit soggy lately).  Hope that all of my remaining tomatoes haven't split! That would make me  :'( .

I didn't realize just how hot it was just inland from the Bay area until I looked at some of the weather reports from the airports... 45º and 46º C... I have a friend in Berkeley whom I texted yesterday, who still has not responded... getting a little worried.

LKB

Quote from: krummholz on September 07, 2022, 07:49:16 PM
I didn't realize just how hot it was just inland from the Bay area until I looked at some of the weather reports from the airports... 45º and 46º C... I have a friend in Berkeley whom I texted yesterday, who still has not responded... getting a little worried.

While it was over 100° in the Berkeley hills, l couldn't find any other dramatic local news concerning Berkeley. Your friend has probably just been preoccupied.  ;)

Daverz

Quote from: krummholz on September 07, 2022, 07:49:16 PM

Those must be temperatures on the tarmac.

Daverz

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 07, 2022, 04:27:50 PM
That's Houston weather, basically every day from June through September.

Yes, I thought someone might chime in from an area of the country where it's much worse.  I did live in Durham, North Carolina for a few years, which was probably my first encounter with a really humid climate.  Basically you stay inside with the AC on in the Summer.

Pohjolas Daughter

I hate hot + humid.  Hot and dry I can deal with--at least much better.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on September 08, 2022, 01:26:00 AM
Yes, I thought someone might chime in from an area of the country where it's much worse.  I did live in Durham, North Carolina for a few years, which was probably my first encounter with a really humid climate.  Basically you stay inside with the AC on in the Summer.

...and I lived in San Diego (La Jolla, specifically) for about 6 years and never had or felt the need for an air conditioner.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

krummholz

Quote from: Daverz on September 08, 2022, 01:16:51 AM
Those must be temperatures on the tarmac.

They're certainly from within the airport perimeter, so affected by the "heat island" effect, but the AWOS is always well removed from the tarmac itself. But Berkeley itself (like any city) is a heat island... though closer to the Bay than the temperatures I quoted, so probably not over 40º there, but still plenty hot. I think I saw 40º at Oakland. I'm concerned because my friend is over 70 and does not tolerate the heat very well.

Pohjolas Daughter

Hurricane Ian headed towards western Cuba and then Florida.  It might end up taking an (unusual) turn and head up along the western coast of Florida.  Currently, the forecasts are showing Tampa area to be hit and hard.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2022, 08:09:12 AM
Hurricane Ian headed towards western Cuba and then Florida.  It might end up taking an (unusual) turn and head up along the western coast of Florida.  Currently, the forecasts are showing Tampa area to be hit and hard.  :(

PD

This is very concerning. An old family friend, with whom I reestablished contact a couple of years ago, lives in New Port Richey north of Tampa.