How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Dungeon Master on January 07, 2013, 01:45:31 AM
If I don't post for a while, you can assume my computer and/or I are out of action.

God forbid! Good luck in overcoming the challenge!
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Move your server to Holland, the wettest country in Europe it seems.

Opus106

Quote from: Holden on January 07, 2013, 01:14:16 AM
For you guys who don't use Celcius...

Quote from: Dungeon Master on January 07, 2013, 01:45:31 AM
high 30's (thats about 100 °F for our US friends)

Save us some typing time, US -- this is your chance! ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

kyjo

I love casually studying the weather and think its patterns are quite fascinating, especially here in Pittsburgh, where the high temperatures dropped from the lower 90s to the lower 60s in a matter of days a couple weeks ago. This weekend has been a chilly one. The highs have been around 62 both today and yesterday. We received a lot of welcome rain yesterday (we've been in a mild drought). It's supposed to be a gorgeous week, with temperatures climbing from the mid-60s tomorrow to the mid-70s by Wednesday with sun every day! September and October are such beautiful months here. :)

North Star

It's autumn here in Oulu, Finland - rain and some hail today, too. 50-60 F. A great weather for spending time inside... But yes, very beautiful, what with the autumn foliage.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kyjo

Quote from: North Star on September 22, 2013, 03:41:18 PM
It's autumn here in Oulu, Finland - rain and some hail today, too. 50-60 F. A great weather for spending time inside... But yes, very beautiful, what with the autumn foliage.

Hail in 50-60 degree temperatures? Finland must have some really weird weather! :D I've actually only encountered hail twice in my lifetime-once when I was riding a train, and the other when I was driving and had to pull into a nearly-flooded supermarket parking lot for safety!

Bogey

We are only 20-30 minutes from Boulder, CO, but we were spared flooding in our neighborhood.  Some serious road damage about two miles from us.  Closed my wife's school and my son's.  Simply brutal in some parts.  We had more rainfall on our lawn in a day than we have in some years.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

I'm glad that you and your family are alright Bill.

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2013, 06:24:52 PM
I'm glad that you and your family are alright Bill.

Thanks, David.  You know with your time in OK that droughts can be at their worst when heavy rains follow.  It got a bit rainy tonight, but not even approaching where it was.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kyjo

Quote from: Bogey on September 22, 2013, 04:30:44 PM
We are only 20-30 minutes from Boulder, CO, but we were spared flooding in our neighborhood.  Some serious road damage about two miles from us.  Closed my wife's school and my son's.  Simply brutal in some parts.  We had more rainfall on our lawn in a day than we have in some years.

Glad to hear you and your family are safe, Bogey. :) I've heard about the flooding in Colorado and it looks and sounds terrible. :( My prayers go out to everyone who has to endure such a disaster.

Bogey

Quote from: kyjo on September 22, 2013, 06:58:22 PM
Glad to hear you and your family are safe, Bogey. :) I've heard about the flooding in Colorado and it looks and sounds terrible. :( My prayers go out to everyone who has to endure such a disaster.

Many thanks. 

The deal is this.  When I got married back in '92 we moved into the house my wife grew up in.  Every spring our sump pump when run almost non-stop because we are near and  underground river.  I mean it ran.  Then a decade went by and one spring nothing.  Dry.  Has stayed like that since.  So in short, we were experiencing a drought.  Our average rainfall is 15-17 inches (which includes snow).  Boulder has had 30 this month alone.  Decent short article here.  Read down to the bullets. 

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/flood-ravaged-boulder-colorado-sets-annual-rainfall-record-16481

kyjo

Just a random comment: I HATE it when the meteorologists predict the weather to be PARTLY cloudy yet it turns out to be COMPLETELY cloudy. Today was a perfect example of this. This must be the tenth day over the past couple months where this situation has occurred.

kishnevi

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2013, 02:26:22 PM
Just a random comment: I HATE it when the meteorologists predict the weather to be PARTLY cloudy yet it turns out to be COMPLETELY cloudy. Today was a perfect example of this. This must be the tenth day over the past couple months where this situation has occurred.

Personally,  I've never understood the min/max on 'partly' in both 'partly sunny' and 'partly cloudly'.  After all, unless you're having a day like you had, with complete cloud cover,  there's always at least some sun and some clouds, so almost every day qualifies as partly sunny and partly cloudly.

I have observed, btw, that in Florida, when the rain chances are described anywhere between 30 percent and 60 percent,  there will always be rain at some point in the day. When it's over 60 percent, that means it will rain all day long.
But at least I know what the percent means in that--that X percent of the forecast area will receive rain in some amount at some point during the day.  Apparently,  I always end up in the X percent part.

kyjo

It was a pretty warm day in Pittsburgh today. Got up to around 85 I think. Bet this will be our last day above 80 until April or so!

drogulus

The weather is only interesting when it's extreme, unless you're sharing it. Is it cloudy with showers in the afternoon 20 miles south of Hog's Breath, Iowa? I fail to wonder.

I find the idea of Finland appealing. I'll bet it has weather.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 06, 2013, 06:37:37 PM
It was a pretty warm day in Pittsburgh today. Got up to around 85 I think. Bet this will be our last day above 80 until April or so!

In unrelated news, Pittsburgh Pirates beat the hell out of the St. Louis Cardinals today. They were tied up for awhile but Pirates pulled it out. Pirates just need to win one more against the Cardinals to advance.

North Star

Quote from: drogulus on October 06, 2013, 08:50:55 PM
      The weather is only interesting when it's extreme, unless you're sharing it. Is it cloudy with showers in the afternoon 20 miles south of Hog's Breath, Iowa? I fail to wonder.

I find the idea of Finland appealing. I'll bet it has weather.

Our weather is definitely varying, and all four seasons are pretty much equal here. Some years we have four feet of snow by Christmas, and ten years ago, when our family moved to this  house after we'd built it, the grass sprouted in mid-December. :o
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

springrite

WHen I left Beijing, I know my second stop, Taiyuan, just had three nights in a row with lows in the 30's (34F, 1C). So I was well prepared for the cold. But when I arrived four days later, it is 80F (27C). Because of the cold of the past week, signalling that cold weather had arrived, the hotel had turned off their central air conditioning system. It is HOT in my room! I am not happy about paying for a five star hotel but the conditions are so uncomfortable!

How will the weather be in LA and Phoenix? I leave on the 10th...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Daverz

Quote from: springrite on October 06, 2013, 09:52:55 PM
WHen I left Beijing, I know my second stop, Taiyuan, just had three nights in a row with lows in the 30's (34F, 1C). So I was well prepared for the cold. But when I arrived four days later, it is 80F (27C). Because of the cold of the past week, signalling that cold weather had arrived, the hotel had turned off their central air conditioning system. It is HOT in my room! I am not happy about paying for a five star hotel but the conditions are so uncomfortable!

How will the weather be in LA and Phoenix? I leave on the 10th...

I'm in San Diego.  October weather is generally some of the nicest in the Southwest.

springrite

Quote from: Daverz on October 06, 2013, 10:30:22 PM
I'm in San Diego.  October weather is generally some of the nicest in the Southwest.

I may drive by SD on my way back. Most of SoCal was like my backyard for 22 years. May spend a night at Torey Pine (Ritz) just to relax.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.