How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Well, right now the weather sucks, but soon it won't. Actually, I have a question for my fellow weather buffs;

When the hell did we start naming winter storms as though they were hurricanes? What rocket scientist came up with this idea?  Our current little disturbance is officially called "Cleon", the one that is moving in is called "Dion". Really?   ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 06, 2013, 09:55:39 AM
Well, right now the weather sucks, but soon it won't. Actually, I have a question for my fellow weather buffs;

When the hell did we start naming winter storms as though they were hurricanes? What rocket scientist came up with this idea?  Our current little disturbance is officially called "Cleon", the one that is moving in is called "Dion". Really?   ::)

8)

Undoubtedly part of THE END IS NEAR marketing by TV stations, so that viewers will become obsessively glued to their broadcasts!  Every snowstorm "could" be DANGEROUS, and every heat wave also  "could" be DANGEROUS, so keep listening to us, because you really are an idiot, and your parents were idiots also, and so you never learned what to do when the weather is cold or hot! (And did you know that you should wear gloves and boots and dress warmly when it is cold?  And did you know that you should drink plenty of liquids and put on sunscreen when it is hot?)

Part of the Nanny State mentality gone berserk!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on December 06, 2013, 10:06:40 AM
Undoubtedly part of THE END IS NEAR marketing by TV stations, so that viewers will become obsessively glued to their broadcasts!  Every snowstorm "could" be DANGEROUS, and every heat wave also  "could" be DANGEROUS, so keep listening to us, because you really are an idiot, and your parents were idiots also, and so you never learned what to do when the weather is cold or hot! (And did you know that you should wear gloves and boots and dress warmly when it is cold?  And did you know that you should drink plenty of liquids and put on sunscreen when it is hot?)

Part of the Nanny State mentality gone berserk!

Well, I can easily accept that as the facts. Sad commentary on our times when something so mollycoddlingly outrageous is so easily acceptable as The Truth... :(   But really, Cleon?  ::)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bhodges

I think that trend has only been in place a couple of years (could be wrong). But yes, I also wondered how Cleon got on the "master list" of names for this year.  8)

--Bruce

Brian

Cleon and Dion? Is the next one Eon?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on December 06, 2013, 10:37:37 AM
Cleon and Dion? Is the next one Eon?

It'll stop 'em when they discover that Freon has been discontinued though....   :D

8)

Sergeant Rock

We felt the effects of hurricane (Orkan) Xaver last night. The storm pummeled the north coast of Germany but was rather mild here in the southwest (65 KM winds and just a little rain).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

I think The Weather Channel is the one to blame for naming winter storms.  Obviously they needed something to keep themselves busy from December to May.

Thread duty:
Highs in the mid 80s,  low chance of precipitation ,  strong breeze allows me to keep the windows open and not turn on the a/c so I can fully enjoy it.  Warm temps and low humidity is not a combination that occurs very often here. 

(This message was not sponsored by the Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 06, 2013, 12:51:55 PM
I think The Weather Channel is the one to blame for naming winter storms.  Obviously they needed something to keep themselves busy from December to May.

Thread duty:
Highs in the mid 80s,  low chance of precipitation ,  strong breeze allows me to keep the windows open and not turn on the a/c so I can fully enjoy it.  Warm temps and low humidity is not a combination that occurs very often here. 

(This message was not sponsored by the Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce.)

I was afraid of that. This is where I saw it, last night they were actually showing a weather report, as opposed to their usual run of "reality" programming, and there it was staring me in the face; Winter Storm Cleon!!   :o :o

8)

premont

The two last days we have had storm and hurricane and much flood. The water level in many towns is the highest ever measured. (Measurements have been made regularly during the last hundred years).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

We're experiencing warm temperatures here in NE Georgia, which is unusual for this time of year. Also, rain, rain, and more rain. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2013, 06:24:54 PM
We're experiencing warm temperatures here in NE Georgia, which is unusual for this time of year. Also, rain, rain, and more rain. :)

I greatly enjoy rain, except when it is like it was here, 34° and windy! 'cause as much as I like rain, I hate ice storms!! >:(

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 06, 2013, 06:32:23 PM
I greatly enjoy rain, except when it is like it was here, 34° and windy! 'cause as much as I like rain, I hate ice storms!! >:(

8)

Yes, I'll take rain over ice any day of the week. People here seem to freak out at even the sight of a snow flurry, but snowstorms aren't completely uncommon where I'm from.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2013, 06:38:33 PM
Yes, I'll take rain over ice any day of the week. People here seem to freak out at even the sight of a snow flurry, but snowstorms aren't completely uncommon where I'm from.

Does Atlanta still grind to a halt when it snows?  When I was at Emory, there was a total of three days in four years on which snow actually fell.   Everything pretty much closed down completely.  We were told the city kept almost no snow plows--it was felt the expense of keeping them was not worth the one time a year they might be used. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 06, 2013, 06:43:36 PM
Does Atlanta still grind to a halt when it snows?  When I was at Emory, there was a total of three days in four years on which snow actually fell.   Everything pretty much closed down completely.  We were told the city kept almost no snow plows--it was felt the expense of keeping them was not worth the one time a year they might be used.

I don't live in Atlanta, but things do seem to 'freeze in time' whenever snow arrives. :) Like I said, snow isn't uncommon in the NE part of the state, but people just act like it's the apocalypse when something like this happens and it's pretty ridiculous. I can understand Atlanta not wanting to invest in snow plows. It just wouldn't be worth the expense. GDOT does get out on the major highways and put salt and gravel down on the roads, but obviously back roads and such don't get touched and people are left to fend for themselves.

lisa needs braces

The trees in Northern Virginia are right now covered with icicles...it's gorgeous.

Mirror Image

Right now, it's rain, rain, and more rain. The temperature is about 40 °F. Will be glad when the rain passes over.

Brahmsian

Now we are talking deep freeze temperatures!  :D  This is pretty damn cold, even for Winnipeg!  8)

Currently: -37C or -34F

Windchill factor:  -49C or -54F

Karl Henning

Stay warm, Ray!

Clear and cold in Boston (not Winnipeg-cold);  we hear tell of some heavy snow coming in later this week.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on December 31, 2013, 06:23:31 AM
Stay warm, Ray!

Clear and cold in Boston (not Winnipeg-cold);  we hear tell of some heavy snow coming in later this week.

I do report that although it is incredibly chilly today, it is a cloudless, sunny sky.  I love a bright, winter sunny day!  The sundogs will be out in full force, I'm sure.  :)