How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2014, 06:00:42 AM
Pretty freaking cold here this morning in NE Georgia: 21 °F. Brrrr....

Same thing here. 21° sucks. I know there will be some whining about that from the Northern contingent, but they chose to live in an icebox. I didn't move here to freeze my ass off. Supposed to be 13°F overnight Monday.  >:(

Quote from: mn dave on January 03, 2014, 05:42:15 AM
Let's all purchase a tropical island together and start a community: Good Weather Island.

Put me down for a half acre. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mn dave

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 03, 2014, 05:59:38 AM
I prefer Good Weather and Good Music (with sophisticated gadgetry and oustanding listening stations) Island. I'm sure there is more that should be put in parentheses! :)

We'll have to put it to a vote.

Karl Henning

No, I allow my friends south aways to complain about 21° F. I mean, it's not your feel-good temperature.  But a strong frost now and again is good for killing off some bacteria in the environment  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 03, 2014, 06:10:43 AM
Same thing here. 21° sucks. I know there will be some whining about that from the Northern contingent...

We do not "whine". We chortle.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2014, 06:15:05 AM
No, I allow my friends south aways to complain about 21° F. I mean, it's not your feel-good temperature.  But a strong frost now and again is good for killing off some bacteria in the environment  ;)
Actually, cold weather makes it easier for viruses to do their thing (not to mention the dryness).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 03, 2014, 06:10:43 AM
Same thing here. 21° sucks. I know there will be some whining about that from the Northern contingent, but they chose to live in an icebox. I didn't move here to freeze my ass off. Supposed to be 13°F overnight Monday.  >:(

I'm sure our Northern neighbors are having a good laugh at my post, but I just don't dig winter at all. I love autumn and spring. One can keep the other two seasons. 8) Summers here are brutal sometimes but probably not as bad as Texas. It's the humidity in the summer that seems to make it worse than it actually is.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2014, 06:55:37 AM
I'm sure our Northern neighbors are having a good laugh at my post, but I just don't dig winter at all. I love autumn and spring. One can keep the other two seasons. 8) Summers here are brutal sometimes but probably not as bad as Texas. It's the humidity in the summer that seems to make it worse than it actually is.

Yes, your summers are pretty bad. Ours are only slightly hotter here in East Texas. However, we are humid too. Central/West Texas is much hotter, but as Mn Dave says, it's dry.... ::)  As far as winter goes, I was born and raised in Vermont, so there is nothing I haven't endured on the winter weather front. That's why I don't live there now, to get back to that. :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

In Rheinhessen today: overcast but dry, 45°F (7°C).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Boston, NYC & Winnipeg's weather made it into our TV news today. I wish we had snow here.  :-\
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 03, 2014, 07:17:45 AM
Yes, your summers are pretty bad. Ours are only slightly hotter here in East Texas. However, we are humid too. Central/West Texas is much hotter, but as Mn Dave says, it's dry.... ::)  As far as winter goes, I was born and raised in Vermont, so there is nothing I haven't endured on the winter weather front. That's why I don't live there now, to get back to that. :D

Like Gurn, I grew up in a 'bad winter' state, i.e. Michigan - but as a kid getting 8-10 days off of school wasn't bad - could play in the snow w/ friends or ice skate on a golf course creek for miles - but being in North Carolina since '71 has been just fine w/ us (Susan was form NJ) - today in Winston Salem, high to 37F w/ clear skies! Dave :)

kishnevi

I actually had to put on a heavy jacket this morning for my weekly grocery run.   Temperature was about 58F this morning when I woke up, and allegedly won't get out of the upper sixties today.

BTW, if any of you are ever tempted to visit Florida, I do have a sofa bed in the living room.  But the CD player is in my bedroom, so you'll have to bring your own.

The Six

74 and sunny here.

I don't know how I survive.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The Six on January 03, 2014, 11:43:54 AM
74 and sunny here.

To be fair, you are coming off from the driest year in recorded times, with a mere 3" of rain last year in your city. You have your own issues to deal with, or soon will when fire season begins in earnest!  :-\

8)

mn dave

Quote from: The Six on January 03, 2014, 11:43:54 AM
74 and sunny here.

Where do you live and do you have a room available?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 03, 2014, 07:17:45 AM

8)

Ah, okay so you being from Vermont, you're accustomed to being blasted by arctic fronts. ;D Yes, I can see Texas being rather hot in the summer in general, but this past summer here in NE Georgia it rained...and rained....and, you guessed it, rained some more. I don't think I've ever seen such a damp, wet summer. I certainly didn't miss the heat, though. 8)

From what I understand, the South hasn't even felt the effects from this cold front yet. Oh dear and it's 27 °F right now.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 03, 2014, 11:16:29 AM
I actually had to put on a heavy jacket this morning for my weekly grocery run.   Temperature was about 58F this morning when I woke up, and allegedly won't get out of the upper sixties today.
And I think it was 80something-F yesterday or a few days ago during the day...
beats -40F.

mn dave

26 below F on the drive into work.  :(

...with killer 60 below wind chills to liven things up!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mn dave on January 06, 2014, 05:07:26 AM

Do you still have all your toes, Dave?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: mn dave on January 06, 2014, 05:07:26 AM

:o

Same here, Dave.

-33 C, windchill of -45 C

or

-27 F, windchill of -49 F