How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Quote from: The Six on January 09, 2014, 07:29:32 AM

Watching weather on CCN. WHen are they going to give weather reports like this? At least try it late at night!

1C to minus 9C (34F to 14F or so) here.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2014, 10:29:07 AM
Well it's a nice, as they say balmy, 43°F right now with a clear sky. Beautiful day. Looks like this arctic blast is behind us. Now, the weather wizards say it's supposed to rain the rest of the week. ::)

Yep in Piedmont, NC, we're back into the 40Fs today & cloudy - dipped below 10F a few nights ago (rare here) - the cartoon below might have been appropriate! Dave :)

Mirror Image

Here in NE GA we're back up to normal temperatures for this time of the year. It's 41°F with partly cloudy skies. Another beautiful, and thankfully, warmer day.

kishnevi

Saw this on Facebook today.
Slightly photoshopped to keep GMG's Google status safe from profanity

Mirror Image

In case any of you didn't hear about this through the news whether in live broadcast or read about it online, Georgia was hit pretty hard yesterday with snow averaging about 2'' to 3'' and what makes this particularly hard on us is the fact that everything froze overnight creating large sheets of ice along streets and interstates. Also, on I-85 (going through Atlanta) there were vehicles, including buses full of schoolchildren, stranded out there for 11 hours. Governor Nathan Deal declared a state of emergency and now the National Guard are involved trying to get food and water to these people that have been stranded there all night.

Let's all hope everyone involved gets home safely. This state is not prepared for this kind of weather, though it's not completely uncommon, it's still a difficult situation for everyone.

Mirror Image

I had heard this arctic front moved all the way from Texas to the Carolinas, I wonder what the weather is like for Gurn and Sonic Dave?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2014, 06:40:06 AM
I had heard this arctic front moved all the way from Texas to the Carolinas, I wonder what the weather is like for Gurn and Sonic Dave?

I would think it is worse for you than anyone. At least if you are close to Atlanta, which is virtually paralyzed. It cleared out of here yesterday AM, and we missed the frozen precip by less than 10 miles!!  Got colder than heck though  (15°F). Better now!   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 29, 2014, 07:03:41 AM
I would think it is worse for you than anyone. At least if you are close to Atlanta, which is virtually paralyzed. It cleared out of here yesterday AM, and we missed the frozen precip by less than 10 miles!!  Got colder than heck though  (15°F). Better now!   :)

8)

Missed by 10 miles? You're quite the lucky fellow. ;) Yeah, it's bad in Atlanta or so I keep hearing on the news anyway. I live about 45 miles NE of Atlanta and, though we've been hit with snow and ice, it's nothing like what Atlanta must be feeling now. Still, I wasn't able to make it into work today because of the ice and the hills I have go up and down in order to get there. Just not worth risking an accident. Good to hear it's okay on your end of the country. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on January 29, 2014, 07:28:25 AM
I heard this morning about your area as well as Alabama, where I went to UA and have many friends.  Hope you get through it without any harm.

Spring is on the way!

Thanks, sanantonio. I'm going to stay indoors and try my best not get behind the wheel until a lot of the snow has cleared up.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2014, 07:08:40 AM
Missed by 10 miles? You're quite the lucky fellow. ;) Yeah, it's bad in Atlanta or so I keep hearing on the news anyway. I live about 45 miles NE of Atlanta and, though we've been hit with snow and ice, it's nothing like what Atlanta must be feeling now. Still, I wasn't able to make it into work today because of the ice and the hills I have go up and down in order to get there. Just not worth risking an accident. Good to hear it's okay on your end of the country. :)

So you didn't miss by much either. Can't beat that! What puzzles me is that this was the second storm in a week to drop heavy freezing precip between us and the coast. In my 30 years here I have never even seen this even once before, let alone twice in a week!  :o

My guess is Sonic Dave & Sue got smacked pretty good, it seemed to be really wanting to take the turn and head their way.  :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2014, 06:40:06 AM

Hello John - we were lucky, most of the heavier snowfall was east of us - I was out an hour ago just brushing off the cars and took a pic of the front of the house - probably just over an inch of snow on the cars and already melting w/ the sun out.  The other pic shows the snowfall in North Carolina - I put a blue dot on Winston-Salem; Greensboro is just east in the adjacent county - looks like the Outer Banks around Hatteras received 2-3 inches (which would be a 'shocker' for them!).

Now come spring in April-May, we'll return to the azaleas & the dogwoods blooming - bottom pics, the same snow covered yard a few years ago at a much more pleasant time of the year - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on January 29, 2014, 07:43:11 AM
I just got off the phone with my sister who is a little north of Dallas and she said their weather was cold but no ice, but it was weird when San Antonio and Houston have ice and snow and not Dallas.  Usually it is the reverse.

Precisely. We got the same as Dallas, but just a few miles south of us, heavy ice and snow on top, lots of wrecks etc. We got 0, which is even better than Dave's 'dusting'!   :)

Good on ya, Dave. ;)

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 29, 2014, 07:40:11 AM
So you didn't miss by much either. Can't beat that! What puzzles me is that this was the second storm in a week to drop heavy freezing precip between us and the coast. In my 30 years here I have never even seen this even once before, let alone twice in a week!  :o

My guess is Sonic Dave & Sue got smacked pretty good, it seemed to be really wanting to take the turn and head their way.  :-\

8)

Yes, I suppose it's all the global warming doing it's annual trickery. ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 29, 2014, 07:42:32 AM
Hello John - we were lucky, most of the heavier snowfall was east of us - I was out an hour ago just brushing off the cars and took a pic of the front of the house - probably just over an inch of snow on the cars and already melting w/ the sun out.  The other pic shows the snowfall in North Carolina - I put a blue dot on Winston-Salem; Greensboro is just east in the adjacent county - looks like the Outer Banks around Hatteras received 2-3 inches (which would be a 'shocker' for them!).

Now come spring in April-May, we'll return to the azaleas & the dogwoods blooming - bottom pics, the same snow covered yard a few years ago at a much more pleasant time of the year - Dave :)

Good to hear you didn't receive any of this winter mayhem, Dave. 8) Nice pictures also! Yeah, I bet those people in Greenville are having a blast trying to figure out what to do with this weather.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 29, 2014, 07:45:29 AM
Precisely. We got the same as Dallas, but just a few miles south of us, heavy ice and snow on top, lots of wrecks etc. We got 0, which is even better than Dave's 'dusting'!   :)

Good on ya, Dave. ;)

Hi Gurn - well as you can see, we lucked out although there were a lot of accidents in the area last night - but hey I'm now retired, so will just stay in the house, listen to music, and do some reading! 

Our only problem is our maid service cancelled, so I'll have to help Susan change the sheets on the beds - otherwise we'll just let the house go down hill until 2 weeks from now!   ;) :D  Dave

P.S. BUT the mailman just showed up - I'll see if there are any CDs for me!  ;D

Karl Henning

Gov. Deal just announced that Ga. State offices will be closed tomorrow, and he urges area businesses to do the same.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2014, 08:01:10 AM
Good to hear you didn't receive any of this winter mayhem, Dave. 8) Nice pictures also! Yeah, I bet those people in Greensboro are having a blast trying to figure out what to do with this weather.

Hi again John - Greensboro is near the white-pink line so probably just a little more snow than we got - BUT, in the blue zone (i.e. 4-7 inches) extending to Albemarle & Pamlico Sounds (those big inlet estuaries just west of the Outer Banks) - they will likely be shut down for a number of days (just don't invest in snow removal/equipment there) and likely a bunch of accidents due to ignorance in driving in that type of weather - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 29, 2014, 08:28:47 AM
Hi again John - Greensboro is near the white-pink line so probably just a little more snow than we got - BUT, in the blue zone (i.e. 4-7 inches) extending to Albemarle & Pamlico Sounds (those big inlet estuaries just west of the Outer Banks) - they will likely be shut down for a number of days (just don't invest in snow removal/equipment there) and likely a bunch of accidents due to ignorance in driving in that type of weather - Dave :)

Oh okay, yeah, I can't imagine anyone being equipped to handle this weather due to the abnormality of it for even for this time of the year.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 29, 2014, 08:08:40 AM
Gov. Deal just announced that Ga. State offices will be closed tomorrow, and he urges area businesses to do the same.

Good idea, but I doubt area businesses will take the word of caution. Money is the root of all evil of course.

kishnevi

Some thirty odd years ago,  I was a college kid in Atlanta (Emory)
Freshman year,  we had one day in which snow stayed on the ground.  That same day was the day when snow flurries were experienced in Miami for the only time on record.
Sophomore year, one day.
Junior year,  two days.
Senior year,  zero days.

The amount of snow on the ground was not very much in any of those instances--pretty much enough to cover the grass and make a bother on the roads, and nothing more.  Certainly nothing like the current storm.

And then people wonder why they bother with snow plows in Georgia....

BTW,  the low tonight in South Florida will apparently be about 60F.