How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 29, 2014, 05:23:15 PM
Some thirty odd years ago,  I was a college kid in Atlanta (Emory)
Freshman year,  we had one day in which snow stayed on the ground.  That same day was the day when snow flurries were experienced in Miami for the only time on record.
Sophomore year, one day.
Junior year,  two days.
Senior year,  zero days.

The amount of snow on the ground was not very much in any of those instances--pretty much enough to cover the grass and make a bother on the roads, and nothing more.  Certainly nothing like the current storm.

And then people wonder why they bother with snow plows in Georgia....

BTW,  the low tonight in South Florida will apparently be about 60F.

I remember several instances of snow here in NE GA. My earliest recollection was in 1987 when the whole neighborhood was involved in a 'snow fight.' Another one happened around '91 or '92, which I remember being pretty bad and for some reason I remember Oprah being on television crying about something. I see little has changed. :) Another one was in '96 (I think). We again had another one in '04 or '05 and this one caused a lot of power outages. I believe half the city was shut down due to these outages. Then we had another one in '09 and a White Christmas in '12. Now, we're getting over this one. Considering the frequency of snowstorms here, I don't see any reason to invest a lot of money into snow plows either, but I'm thankful for the Georgia DOT for doing what they can. There's a saying 'Every little helps' and I think that aptly applies here.

Dungeon Master

Just as a contrast, we are in our second record-breaking heatwave here in south-eastern Australia:

Temperatures in the 38-42°C range (thats about 100 to 108°F) for the last 4 days, and 2 more days to go. No rain since November. Some parts of Australia are hitting almost 50°C (about 122°F).

While Australia is always hot in summer, never before have we had heat waves so hot, and for so long. This year already, we have had 2 of them lasting over a week.

January 2013 is the hottest month on record in Australia.

And our politicians, who don't have a science degree between them, still don't get the hint. Our recently elected conservative government is planning to remove a very effective carbon tax put in place by the previous government. In fact, they were largely elected on that promise.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dungeon Master on February 01, 2014, 11:56:52 AM
Just as a contrast, we are in our second record-breaking heatwave here in south-eastern Australia:

Temperatures in the 38-42°C range (thats about 100 to 108°F) for the last 4 days, and 2 more days to go. No rain since November. Some parts of Australia are hitting almost 50°C (about 122°F).

While Australia is always hot in summer, never before have we had heat waves so hot, and for so long. This year already, we have had 2 of them lasting over a week.

January 2013 is the hottest month on record in Australia.

And our politicians, who don't have a science degree between them, still don't get the hint. Our recently elected conservative government is planning to remove a very effective carbon tax put in place by the previous government. In fact, they were largely elected on that promise.

Frustratin', isn't it? We have some states here (North Carolina jumps to mind) that have enacted laws making it illegal to even discuss 'global warming'! We have finally come to the point where the morons have taken over. They were always lurkers, of course... :-\

Parts (most of, really) California are having the driest winter on record. Total rainfall in Los Angeles for the month of January was 0.00". :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

I hope all my Northern neighbors stay safe during Winter Storm Nika. Take care of yourselves.

knight66

Uncomfortable here rather than dangerous, though more severe weather warnings around the coast and the Somerset Level's villages have been flooded continually now for weeks. Last night the rain and wind so severe that water was comeing in through the front windows and the noise was so loud I decanted to a bedroom at the back of the house. Today, trains cancelled so far, but when I do get to London, here is the picture.....

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4728126?utm_hp_ref=tw

I may just work from home and hope I can get in tomorrow, though the forecast is getting worse with 12 mm of rain due in about eight hours tomorrow.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Szykneij

Expecting 6 to 12 inches of snow here in the Boston area by the end of the day.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

We've already got half a foot here.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

On Monday it looked somewhat similar here.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

We had 6 inches and then a thin layer of ice last night: Snow Day today from school, our 5th this year!  An entire week down the drain!

Anyway, while shoveling the driveway at 6:45 A.M., I heard a very merry and quite possibly very crazed cardinal chirping away as if it were the month of May.

To be sure, not one other bird responded: possibly they were readying a birdie strait-jacket for the much too happy fellow!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lisztianwagner

It would be wonderful if it snowed here too, I love snowy landscapes very much; instead it has rained for several days, no snowflakes. :(
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

It is beautiful; I hope it stays cold so that the snow remains light, and thus easy to move :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Yeah, snow does have its benefits
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

drogulus

The trouble with snow is it melts into slush, which I hate furiously, then it freezes and makes walking to the bus stop for work treacherous.

I don't want to die of a brain hemorrhage in the Walgreen's (WAG) parking lot for the crime of wanting a roll of Tums and a lemon lime soda, though the soda is surprisingly good considering it's a store brand.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mirror Image

Well, apparently we're in for another snowstorm in NE Georgia. Damn winter. >:( Come on spring! Come on!

Mirror Image

Well, it's snowing here and it's 32 °F. I really hope this is the last snow we get this winter. I'm really, really hoping. Us Southerners aren't cut out for this stuff.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2014, 05:23:18 AM
Well, it's snowing here and it's 32 °F. I really hope this is the last snow we get this winter. I'm really, really hoping. Us Southerners aren't cut out for this stuff.

Snowing? I'm at the airport and can't see any windows at the moment. It was just rain this morning.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 11, 2014, 05:32:06 AM
Snowing? I'm at the airport and can't see any windows at the moment. It was just rain this morning.

Well, it's snowing up here and we're supposed to get about 3-7''. Yeah and you can guess what it will do overnight. :)

Mirror Image

BTW, Greg, don't worry the snow is coming your way. According to the Weather Channel anyway. It just hasn't hit you guys yet.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA