How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Remember what I was telling you Monkey Greg about the snow? Well, to paraphrase a line from Poltergeist, "It's here!!!" :) Anyway, I haven't seen a snow this rough since probably '93. It never ceases to amaze me that people actually are getting out in this weather and finding their vehicles soon in a ditch. ;D Seriously people, stay home! Don't risk your life or the chance of damaging your vehicle. It's just not worth it. Stay warm and safe.

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2014, 04:12:04 AM
Remember what I was telling you Monkey Greg about the snow? Well, to paraphrase a line from Poltergeist, "It's here!!!" :) Anyway, I haven't seen a snow this rough since probably '93. It never ceases to amaze me that people actually are getting out in this weather and finding their vehicles soon in a ditch. ;D Seriously people, stay home! Don't risk your life or the chance of damaging your vehicle. It's just not worth it. Stay warm and safe.
So, will you be joining in on the winter cycling effort, John8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on February 12, 2014, 04:13:54 AM
So, will you be joining in on the winter cycling effort, John8)

What kind of cycling are we talking about here? :) No, I'm probably not going to be joining anyone with anything outside today, although, I might trek up to the grocery store today which isn't far from my house. That will be my daily exercise. 8)

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2014, 04:17:03 AM
What kind of cycling are we talking about here? :) No, I'm probably not going to be joining anyone with anything outside today, although, I might trek up to the grocery store today which isn't far from my house. That will be my daily exercise. 8)

https://www.facebook.com/WinterBikeToWorkDay

I don't think many Georgia US citizens are going to cycle on snowy roads anyway.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Too cold for snow in Boston this morning, 5° F . . . although the snows are to begin falling tonight, so we look forward to the heat wave ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2014, 04:12:04 AM

No snow here, just ice. But power went out at 7:30 this morning. We are watching trees in our backyard leaning close to a 90 degree angle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 12, 2014, 05:05:47 AM
No snow here, just ice. But power went out at 7:30 this morning. We are watching trees in our backyard leaning close to a 90 degree angle.

Oh, that's right, I forgot you live just outside of Atlanta. It was said that you guys would get a lot of ice. That sucks about your power being out. I hope all is well with you. Stay safe and warm.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2014, 05:38:45 AM
Oh, that's right, I forgot you live just outside of Atlanta. It was said that you guys would get a lot of ice. That sucks about your power being out. I hope all is well with you. Stay safe and warm.

Thanks, same to you.

jut1972

UK weather is never extreme but its the heaviest rain for 200 years or something.  Whole areas of the South West are flooded and even the edges of London are under water which is really wierd to see.  Train lines have been washed away, 100 mph winds, the army has been drafted in etc etc.

It's reached the point where the loonies have blamed gay marriage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-26152345

North Star

Quote from: jut1972 on February 12, 2014, 07:13:06 AM
UK weather is never extreme but its the heaviest rain for 200 years or something.  Whole areas of the South West are flooded and even the edges of London are under water which is really wierd to see.  Train lines have been washed away, 100 mph winds, the army has been drafted in etc etc.

It's reached the point where the loonies have blamed gay marriage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-26152345

8)       

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

No good for you, of course, but I am relieved that not all the loonies are stateside . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Quote from: drogulus on February 09, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
     The trouble with snow is it melts into slush, which I hate furiously, then it freezes and makes walking to the bus stop for work treacherous.

I don't want to die of a brain hemorrhage in the Walgreen's (WAG) parking lot for the crime of wanting a roll of Tums and a lemon lime soda, though the soda is surprisingly good considering it's a store brand.

... and then as the giant frozen mounds in the parking lot begin to melt, their brilliant whiteness turns into the ugly black and brown hues of the dirty, dusty, detritus originally plowed up with the snow.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

SonicMan46

Just started snowing in Piedmont North Carolina - will continue into much of tomorrow during the day - 4-6 total inches expected - covered our cars w/ some tarps just to avoid cleaning them off!  Just hope that we don't get much ice and lose power - it is cold out!  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 12, 2014, 09:22:44 AM
Just started snowing in Piedmont North Carolina - will continue into much of tomorrow during the day - 4-6 total inches expected - covered our cars w/ some tarps just to avoid cleaning them off!  Just hope that we don't get much ice and lose power - it is cold out!  Dave :)

Yeah, I think the bulk of the storm has already hit (hopefully). Some areas (Atlanta and a bit south of Atlanta) have gotten nothing but ice whereas the area I live in about 40 miles NE of Atlanta had nothing but snow. It's beautiful, but I really hope it doesn't get any worse than it already is. Here's hoping you and yours stay warm and safe during this difficult time.

As I've written before, it's not uncommon to receive snow here and, while it does look nice on the ground, make no mistake this isn't driving weather and I urge everyone to stay inside and only get out if you absolutely have to.

Karl Henning

There is time, and the forecast may change yet again . . . but it almost looks as if we aren't expecting all that much snow up here, but snow changing to rain, which will just be a mess . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

The ice is so heavy on the trees that about every 30 minutes a large branch breaks off. It's done damage to two spots to our fence. These trees are about 70-90 feet tall.

Karl Henning

Ice storms are the worst.  There was one winter when a massive ice storm walloped Rochester, Ny, and Cleveland . . . but somehow missed Buffalo in between . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jut1972

Quote from: karlhenning on February 12, 2014, 08:04:40 AM
No good for you, of course, but I am relieved that not all the loonies are stateside . . . .

my favourite loony story was saying  "all these floods... it's the immigrants weighing the country down and pushing it below sea level".

And then people saying damn right!!
...idiots.

Stay safe people.

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 12, 2014, 10:04:25 AM
The ice is so heavy on the trees that about every 30 minutes a large branch breaks off. It's done damage to two spots to our fence. These trees are about 70-90 feet tall.

Hi Greg - sorry to hear about the ice - so far we're just getting fluffy snow - nearly 2 inches as of 4 PM - pic below from my living room bay window - our cup-de-sac is covered and the blue tarp seems to be working well on my car - hope you the best, especially in keeping your power!  Dave :)