How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 12, 2014, 12:36:48 PM
Hi Greg - sorry to hear about the ice - so far we're just getting fluffy snow - nearly 2 inches as of 4 PM - pic below from my living room bay window - our cup-de-sac is covered and the blue tarp seems to be working well on my car - hope you the best, especially in keeping your power!  Dave :)

Ah, this is the way this storm started off yesterday. The roads were absolutely fine, but by 5 AM this morning it was a completely different story. I think we had about 5-6'' of snow. Supposedly, this storm is supposed to move northward. I only hope it looses strength by the time this happens (around Friday or so).

Szykneij

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 12, 2014, 12:36:48 PM
Hi Greg - sorry to hear about the ice - so far we're just getting fluffy snow - nearly 2 inches as of 4 PM - pic below from my living room bay window - our cup-de-sac is covered and the blue tarp seems to be working well on my car - hope you the best, especially in keeping your power!  Dave :)

Interesting that you and Dave both covered your cars with tarps. What's the reasoning behind doing so? That's not something that's done up here where it snows regularly.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

snyprrr

Mirror Image

Well, it's 28 °F right now. Hopefully, tomorrow and Friday bring warmer temperatures so all of this snow and ice will start melting down.

drogulus

Big Impressive Thing: Let there be ice and snow and freezing rain to plague the miserable sinners of Massachusetts.

Miserable etc:             Oh woe is us can we have Subaru's at least?

B.I.T.:                           Without objection so ordered.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

kishnevi

Quote from: drogulus on February 12, 2014, 07:40:28 PM

Big Impressive Thing: Let there be ice and snow and freezing rain to plague the miserable sinners of Massachusetts.

Miserable etc:             Oh woe is us can we have Subaru's at least?

B.I.T.:                           Without objection so ordered.

My family in Boston (two uncles and an aunt) put off their annual visit to Florida from January to February.  This allowed them to avoid the big airport messes last month.
But the date they chose to fly down is February 13.   So winter weather will get its chance to screw up their trip anyway.

drogulus

I like to watch the citizens of the South on the TV news trying to drive on the interstate through ice and snow.

Ohh noooo, why are we going that way?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mirror Image

Quote from: drogulus on February 12, 2014, 08:20:35 PM
     I like to watch the citizens of the South on the TV news trying to drive on the interstate through ice and snow.

Ohh noooo, why are we going that way?

I do too. :) In fact, I like to watch anyone drive on ice who doesn't have the proper tires for it.

Karl Henning

Looks like the 4"-6" band that we're in;  so it's in to the office for me . . . chances are fair that there will be no great interference.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
I do too. :) In fact, I like to watch anyone drive on ice who doesn't have the proper tires for it.

Not only about the tires, many southerners don't know how to drive in this weather. I see too many drivers begin to lose control and immediately begin slamming the breaks or gas.

Got some nice snow over night, already above freezing so it's turning to slush pretty quickly. But another nice snowy white blanket view this morning...

Karl Henning

It looks so lovely, before it degrades to slush :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 13, 2014, 06:55:23 AM
Not only about the tires, many southerners don't know how to drive in this weather. I see too many drivers begin to lose control and immediately begin slamming the breaks or gas.

Got some nice snow over night, already above freezing so it's turning to slush pretty quickly. But another nice snowy white blanket view this morning...

I know I can't drive in it, which is why I stay home. :) Hopefully, today and tomorrow will bring all of this to a close and people can start getting back out on the roads.

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on February 13, 2014, 05:28:18 AM
Looks like the 4"-6" band that we're in;  so it's in to the office for me . . . chances are fair that there will be no great interference.

And, going by JetBlue's  flight status page,  Logan is only 30-45 minutes behind schedule. 

Here in Florida, we just got the very tail end of the system coming through as some squalls last night and this morning: one squall was strong enough to tear a frond off the small palm tree in my back patio.  Meanwhile, when I woke up this morning the temperature was approximately 70F;  after the last squall line came through at about 8-9AM,  temperatures started dropping, and are now (I think) about 65F.  For us a typical cold snap--one cold night, one night not so cold, and then back to normal.

(Well, cold by Florida standards--overnight lows about 50F)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Szykneij on February 12, 2014, 04:07:42 PM
Interesting that you and Dave both covered your cars with tarps. What's the reasoning behind doing so? That's not something that's done up here where it snows regularly.

Hi Tony - I usually don't cover the cars but the prediction initially was up to 6 inches or more - really hate now @ my age to clean off cars w/ that much snow (and ice on the windows) - our last snow was just under 2 inches and did not bother w/ the tarps.

We normally average about 8 inches for the winter season (mainly 3-4 months) so our typical snows may be less than an inch or just a couple of inches - still snowing here into the second day and I believe there will be about 4-5 inches total around my house which is a lot for just one snowfall.  Added a pic from an hour ago - the tarp is working fine (held in place w/ just 4 bungee cords).  Dave :)

Mirror Image

It appears that things are thawing out now and the snow is turning into a very drivable slush. 8) The only thing I fear is if temperatures drop below freezing tonight, then we're dealing with ice at that juncture. But if the sun keeps shining, like it's doing now, then hopefully by tonight the bulk of this slush will be gone.

Szykneij

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 13, 2014, 09:37:32 AM
Hi Tony - I usually don't cover the cars but the prediction initially was up to 6 inches or more - really hate now @ my age to clean off cars w/ that much snow (and ice on the windows) - our last snow was just under 2 inches and did not bother w/ the tarps.

We normally average about 8 inches for the winter season (mainly 3-4 months) so our typical snows may be less than an inch or just a couple of inches - still snowing here into the second day and I believe there will be about 4-5 inches total around my house which is a lot for just one snowfall.  Added a pic from an hour ago - the tarp is working fine (held in place w/ just 4 bungee cords).  Dave :)

Around here, we just scratch out a peephole on the windshield and take a spin up the highway to get the snow cleared off   ;D

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Sure, that looks safe enough!

It was a messy return homeward.  Glad to have a hot mug of tea at my elbow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The Six

73 degrees and sunny. When will the horror end? Darn you, polar vortex?

Mirror Image

Hey Monkey Greg, do you have power yet?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Szykneij on February 13, 2014, 10:55:40 AM
Around here, we just scratch out a peephole on the windshield and take a spin up the highway to get the snow cleared off   ;D

Yesterday I was watching the weather channel - Jim Cantore was in Augusta, GA - he commented that it was a traffic violation if ice flies off the roof of a vehicle and hits another one - hmmm; not sure how many states have that particular law (one story HERE) - Dave :)