How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 09, 2015, 06:25:41 AM
The Great Blizzard of '78 (Ohio) (aka the White Hurricane) happened two weeks before your blizzard. An ice storm with very strong winds preceded the snow. Unnoticed by Mrs. Rock and me, the wind forced the door to our balcony open (a sliding glass door). The ice froze the door in place; we couldn't get it closed. When the snow arrived, we had a blizzard in our living room  ??? ;D The snow actually piled up on the rug. It was two days before we were able to close the door.

Sarge

Geez! Now, that sucks!  :P  You know, if you just smooth out the snowpack from the inside, it will produce an igloo effect and won't allow it to get any colder than 32°F. Just sayin'... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Szykneij

Comparing our current situation to 37 years ago, the Blizzard of '78 was much worse. This picture was taken at the time. The shoveled-out area was the opening to our driveway. The street (if you could see it) actually runs to the left and right.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

I get sentimental about sepia-toned snow, too (j/k)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Quote from: karlhenning on February 09, 2015, 09:37:20 AM
I get sentimental about sepia-toned snow, too (j/k)

That photo was taken by me with my spiffy Yashica Electro 35 gsn camera (probably while I was wearing my trendy striped bell-bottoms). I guess the photo finisher should have left the prints in the fixer a bit longer.  :)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Wanderer

It started snowing timidly yesterday (surrounding mountains were already clad in white, but it was not cold enough in the city for the snow to stay on the ground) and it went on with varying degrees of intensity all day today. It snows properly now (car rooftops and vegetation are already snow-covered) and, should it continue through the night, I might have enough material for a snowman tomorrow.  8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Szykneij on February 09, 2015, 07:58:26 AM
Comparing our current situation to 37 years ago, the Blizzard of '78 was much worse. This picture was taken at the time. The shoveled-out area was the opening to our driveway. The street (if you could see it) actually runs to the left and right.
And yet you now have had more snow in a 17 day period than you did in a 30 day period then. And they are predicting more. In case anyone is not following, there is a lot of snow in the northeast!!

The snow is higher than I am (she must be thinking, among other things)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2015, 06:55:54 AM
Geez! Now, that sucks!  :P  You know, if you just smooth out the snowpack from the inside, it will produce an igloo effect and won't allow it to get any colder than 32°F. Just sayin'... :)

8)
But when it snows like that, it relects the sunligh/heat back and cools down faster, thus making it harder to get rid of it. For those who live there, head down to sunny Florida or something!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Recent pictures taken inside an abandoned mall (Rolling Acres, Akron Ohio) near my hometown. So weird. So sad.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 10, 2015, 01:10:39 PM
Recent pictures taken inside an abandoned mall (Rolling Acres, Akron Ohio) near my hometown. So weird. So sad.

Sarge

Looks like Twelve Monkeys . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on February 11, 2015, 05:12:01 AM
Looks like Twelve Monkeys . . . .

How are things in Greater Boston, Karl? Is it the calm before the (next) storm?  :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Waiting for more (though, hopefully, not so much at once as we've been pummeled with)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

My view while waiting for the train (which was not terribly late, but was terribly crowded):
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on February 11, 2015, 06:41:32 AM
My view while waiting for the train (which was not terribly late, but was terribly crowded):

As long as the trains are running, civilization continues... :)

8)

Karl Henning

I left it on the knees of the gods this morning;  I went to the train station, and figured, if the train comes, I'll board it ... if it's irredeemably late, it's back home to work off the network ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Szykneij

Make it stop!  :o

In the middle of another blizzard. This is the view outside our living room window. The fence (which you can no longer see) between our house and our neighbor's is over 5 feet high!

kishnevi

A meme my cousin in New Hampshire posted to FB.

Sammy

I grew up in the Boston area and feel for those folks still stuck there.  Here in Albuquerque, the temps. have been mainly in the high 60's which is pretty unusual for February.  When it comes to climate, it's hard to beat the southwest U.S.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sammy on February 15, 2015, 02:45:57 PM
I grew up in the Boston area and feel for those folks still stuck there.  Here in Albuquerque, the temps. have been mainly in the high 60's which is pretty unusual for February.  When it comes to climate, it's hard to beat the southwest U.S.

+1

We had 78°F yesterday, a more realistic 58 today. Oh well, I knew there was a solid reason I left New England 37 years ago...    >:D

8)

Szykneij

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Szykneij on February 15, 2015, 05:30:52 PM

Looks a mite airish there, Tony... say, you don't subscribe to all that 'wind chill' crap, do you?   0:)

8)