How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

EigenUser

Quote from: Bogey on February 15, 2015, 06:39:59 PM
My dad who lives in Maine was recalling the blizzard of '62.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/02/the-weekly/blizzard-of-62-shut-down-bangor-50-years-ago/
Where in ME? My dad is from Waterville. I was there twice last year visiting family.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 15, 2015, 06:15:59 PM
Looks a mite airish there, Tony... say, you don't subscribe to all that 'wind chill' crap, do you?   0:)

8)
...except it isn't crap when you are standing outside at 5:05AM in near-zero temperatures and 30mph winds and the person opening your university's gym hasn't shown up yet (true story). Not even whistling the first few bars of the Feuersymphonie will keep you warm (they're all A's, anyways, if I recall correctly)...

The wind chill here in DE is -16F right now, so we aren't doing any better temperature-wise, Tony. Some snow would be nice (can we have some of yours?!). We are supposed to get 3-5 inches tonight, but they always say that.

Right now, my biggest fear is that there will be a major snowstorm just before the all-Ligeti concert I'm going to in NYC on the 25th. I should buy some snowshoes just in case. I do have a pair of racquetball racquets that could work...
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

jochanaan

Well, Denver is finally getting some snow.  Nothing like you in the East, but still a respectable snowfall, about a foot so far. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Szykneij

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/02/the-weekly/blizzard-of-62-shut-down-bangor-50-years-ago/

I don't remember the Blizzard of '62 (perhaps it wasn't as big a deal this far south), but I now acknowledge there is more snow on the ground here in the Boston area than there was during the Blizzard of '78.

If there is any bright spot to the bone-chilling windchill it's that it keeps the white stuff light and fluffy (no heart-attack snow) and the high winds have blown most of it off of my pitched roof. Several structures in the area with flat roofs (or rooves as my grandparents would have said) have had collapses. Not a wise construction choice for New England.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mirror Image

On Monday, the power went off around 10 PM and it didn't come back on until 3 PM today. All of this due to an ice storm that apparently knocked out some transformers near our neighborhood. Pretty annoying, but that's nature for you. My dad built a fire so it was quite toasty inside. :) It seems this storm left many other people without power as well. The roads were clear, though, so my mom and I went to go get some Mexican food for all of us and this also warmed us up rather quickly. ;)

Szykneij

kishnevi

Coldest night of the year....overnight lows in the upper thirties Fahrenheit, wind chills lowering that to the lower thirties or even upper twenties.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/sfl-things-that-happen-when-it-gets-too-cold-in-southflorida-20140106-photogallery.html

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 19, 2015, 07:21:46 PM
Coldest night of the year....overnight lows in the upper thirties Fahrenheit, wind chills lowering that to the lower thirties or even upper twenties.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/sfl-things-that-happen-when-it-gets-too-cold-in-southflorida-20140106-photogallery.html

I am going to Naples next week, and see there is a frost warning there tonight. :o
We originally thought about going this week!

Karl Henning

3° F here in Woburn, Wonder of the North.  (And the air is fairly still.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

That was a good one!  In Dayton I recall it was -17 during that! 

I went sledding!   :D

Here in central Ohio temperatures range this morning from -9 to -13.  It was -18 in Athens (in southern Ohio).
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Yeesh, yer makin' us feel downright toasty here in the Bay State!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on February 20, 2015, 04:22:52 AM
Yeesh, yer makin' us feel downright toasty here in the Bay State!

I worked up a sweat yesterday, while I was shoveling snow in -3/ -12 wind chill.  When it rose to 9, things felt pretty warm!

After a few days, you become accustomed: 25 tomorrow (12 degrees below normal) will feel downright balmy!

Karl Henning

Yes!  Surprises you how that happens!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on February 20, 2015, 04:37:05 AM
Yes!  Surprises you how that happens!

I forgot to mention the plump robin who landed, chirped, and hopped around right next to me on the blacktop for a few moments.  I hope he has a nice nest!

listener

North of the border (Canada)  10ºC /50ºF in Vancouver this afternoon, crocuses were out last week, daffodils and ornamental cherries this week.    Photo off the web of Jericho Beach at low tide.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

jochanaan

Quote from: listener on February 21, 2015, 02:20:19 PM
North of the border (Canada)  10ºC /50ºF in Vancouver this afternoon, crocuses were out last week, daffodils and ornamental cherries this week.    Photo off the web of Jericho Beach at low tide.
Brings back fond memories of my visit to Vancouver during the 1986 World's Fair. ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Karl Henning

Possible new snow accumulation tonight of one to three inches (which is nothing);  and apart from that, the forecast for the week is clear.  Whew!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

From my apartment balcony 15 minutes ago.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".