Erkki Melartin (1875-1937), a Late-Romantic Finnish Symphonist

Started by kyjo, August 06, 2013, 01:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Indeed, Kyle. The String Trio and the VC are superb and satisfying works, respectively.

I love all the Melartin symphonies, but my fondness of the 4th has been vanishing since my last listen. The 1st and 3rd movements are the highlights of the work, but now I feel movements 2 and 4 like weak IMO. The slow movement from the 1st is simply magical. The 6th seems his more visionary and there is an epic feel to it that calls me. And the 3rd gathers all the best of Melartin. An incredible work. So, my favorites are 1, 3 and 6.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 04, 2020, 12:08:23 PM
Indeed, Kyle. The String Trio and the VC are superb and satisfying works, respectively.

I love all the Melartin symphonies, but my fondness of the 4th has been vanishing since my last listen. The 1st and 3rd movements are the highlights of the work, but now I feel movements 2 and 4 like weak IMO. The slow movement from the 1st is simply magical. The 6th seems his more visionary and there is an epic feel to it that calls me. And the 3rd gathers all the best of Melartin. An incredible work. So, my favorites are 1, 3 and 6.

Interesting, Cesar. Perhaps there is some material in the 4th that is rather banal, but overall I find it a splendidly uplifting and memorable work. I need to revisit the 1st and 6th. I don't recall being really grabbed by the 1st, although I remember some good moments, especially in the slow movement. As for the 6th, that ultra-mysterious opening is what I recall most. Really remarkable and unique! I also have fond memories of the 2nd, especially its folksy scherzo.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

This doesn't seem to be an official recording of this quartet (and the same goes for the other 3 quartets on that YouTube Channel), and it's frankly impressive how good performed and recorded it is. This is a piece that shows Melartin as a composer who knew how to handle this chamber form. I'm not sure if it qualifies for masterpiece, but it is pretty close IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/v/47qQGT1g7GU
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 22, 2020, 07:16:21 PM
This doesn't seem to be an official recording of this quartet (and the same goes for the other 3 quartets on that YouTube Channel), and it's frankly impressive how good performed and recorded it is. This is a piece that shows Melartin as a composer who knew how to handle this chamber form. I'm not sure if it qualifies for masterpiece, but it is pretty close IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/v/47qQGT1g7GU

Oh yes, this work made a really strong impression on me recently and I agree that it's a near-masterpiece. It has a particularly strong first movement which is quite poignant in its bittersweet quality. Melartin really knew how to write affecting music in the key of F major (see also the 3rd symphony). I'm very glad all four of his quartets are available on YT in good performances and sound - let's hope for commercial recordings at some point in the future. The early no. 1 is rather generic, but no. 2 is a big step up in quality - a dramatic and compelling work. Haven't listened to no. 3 yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Revisiting his compact and amazing String Trio today made me consider it a masterpiece. I don't know many Nordic works for this chamber form, but this one clearly stands out.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 21, 2023, 07:04:28 PMRevisiting his compact and amazing String Trio today made me consider it a masterpiece. I don't know many Nordic works for this chamber form, but this one clearly stands out.

Oh yes, an outstanding work which shows how Melartin's style evolved into something a bit more "neoclassical" towards the end of his life. (That above Ondine set is also valuable for containing an excellent recording of Toivo Kuula's epic Piano Trio, btw.) Melartin's four string quartets, not commercially recorded (sigh...) but available on YouTube, are very fine works, especially the 4th one (the early 1st is pretty forgettable). Aside from his 6 symphonies, this Ondine CD of his tone poem Traumgesicht, orchestral song Marjatta, and ballet music from The Blue Pearl shouldn't be missed:

Melartin is my favorite Finnish composer after Sibelius (a composer who Melartin generally doesn't sound similar to at all). While certainly late-romantic in style, his music has a certain harmonic piquancy and quirkiness that makes it undeniably of the 20th century. I don't know a single mediocre work by him, except for the SQ no. 1 I mentioned earlier.

calyptorhynchus

I wonder if anyone knows the situation regarding the versions of the scores. My understanding is that the symphonies were edited pretty heavily before they were performed to make them conform to, I don't now, some arbitrary standards that the gatekeepers thought important, and the published scores are also inauthentic. I believe this extends to the recordings that we have of the symphonies (which even in this form are very good IMO, especially 2-6).

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

relm1

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 04, 2023, 05:46:13 PMI wonder if anyone knows the situation regarding the versions of the scores. My understanding is that the symphonies were edited pretty heavily before they were performed to make them conform to, I don't now, some arbitrary standards that the gatekeepers thought important, and the published scores are also inauthentic. I believe this extends to the recordings that we have of the symphonies (which even in this form are very good IMO, especially 2-6).

There is a lot of information about the revisions of these works but the bottom line is they weren't published in his life and these recordings are the result of the last editorial publications as recently as just a few years ago.  Basically, the current performing editions are around 2006-8.  I'm not able to paste the details but suggest you read through the opening of this new performing edition of his Symphony No. 3 perusal score for details because when I copy and paste, I just get weird symbols.

Erkii Melartin Symphony No 3 perusal score

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: relm1 on July 05, 2023, 06:02:15 AMThere is a lot of information about the revisions of these works but the bottom line is they weren't published in his life and these recordings are the result of the least editorial publications as recently as just a few years ago.  Basically, the current performing editions are around 2006-8.  I'm not able to paste the details but suggest you read through the opening of this new performing edition of his Symphony No. 3 perusal score for details because when I copy and paste, I just get weird symbols.

Erkii Melartin Symphony No 3 perusal score

Great, thanks for that. The only problem is that the Ondine recordings date from the 1990s and so we need a new set of recordings using the revised scores.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

kyjo

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 05, 2023, 06:37:55 PMGreat, thanks for that. The only problem is that the Ondine recordings date from the 1990s and so we need a new set of recordings using the revised scores.

Definitely check out this recording of Sakari Oramo conducting the revised edition of the magnificent 3rd Symphony if you haven't already. There's about 10 minutes' worth of "new" music not found in the Ondine recording: https://youtu.be/CgLRS_sw5oA

I'm hoping that Oramo or some other similarly enterprising conductor goes on to commercially record all the symphonies in their revised editions, but I'm not holding my breath. The "old" Ondine recordings with Leonid Grin and the Tampere PO have served us well, but can easily be improved upon in several regards.

calyptorhynchus

Actually I wrote to Ondine after posting my previous remarks raising the question of whether they were going to do another cycle using the new edition. They said that they thought 'a German label' (CPO?) was planning to do this, but they would consider it if it turns out this isn't happening.

kyjo

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 07, 2023, 03:11:08 PMActually I wrote to Ondine after posting my previous remarks raising the question of whether they were going to do another cycle using the new edition. They said that they thought 'a German label' (CPO?) was planning to do this, but they would consider it if it turns out this isn't happening.

Good to know, thanks! We lie in wait...

Symphonic Addict

I'm seriously marveled at the gorgeousness of Melartin's Symphony No. 5 in A minor, I hadn't been as taken by this work as before. My goodness, it possesses ineffable beauty in the inner movements and more heroic gestures in the outer ones. The key of A minor is not one of my favorites, but it sounds particularly poetic and effective in the first movement if that makes any sense, truly captivating. I wouldn't be wrong if I considered it his symphonic masterpiece. The performance of this YouTube recording sounds more committed than the one on Ondine. A sensational rediscovery. Definitely my kind of music!

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 06, 2023, 07:36:50 PMI'm seriously marveled at the gorgeousness of Melartin's Symphony No. 5 in A minor, I hadn't been as taken by this work as before. My goodness, it possesses ineffable beauty in the inner movements and more heroic gestures in the outer ones. The key of A minor is not one of my favorites, but it sounds particularly poetic and effective in the first movement if that makes any sense, truly captivating. I wouldn't be wrong if I considered it his symphonic masterpiece. The performance of this YouTube recording sounds more committed than the one on Ondine. A sensational rediscovery. Definitely my kind of music!

Right! I must fish out my Ondine set. Thanks for the recommendation Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).