Beethoven Missa Solemnis

Started by Haffner, November 25, 2007, 09:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: knight66 on June 06, 2014, 11:32:06 PM
Beethoven Missa Solemnis: Donath, Soffell, Jerusalem, Sotin, Edinburgh Festival Chorus, Solti LPO live London Prom 1982 LPO/BBC issue

When this performance was notified for issue recently, I put a post onto the New Releases thread advertising it. I then sat back and eagerly awaited its arrival. i was in the performance and below I have copied from an ancient thread on conductors where I wrote the following.

What might have been....

Mike

How exciting to have been in the performance and how nice to hear about it!
Maybe a better copy will turn up somewhere...
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Que on June 25, 2018, 02:02:47 PM
Goodness gracious me, Rod ?? 

I'm happy to hear you heard it - good job!  :)

Q
;)

https://open.spotify.com/album/5q7zGboJwO3QwWIMTp9PyE?si=RocmrCY0RX6EvPEQLRuN-w

Better than Suzuki's.
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

amw

Quote from: Que on March 31, 2018, 10:25:04 PM
Great review, Mike!  Thanks :)

I'm still looking for that Holy Grail, on period instruments.

This recent issue by Brüggen's old orchestra has also gathered some positive reviews - anyone here heard it?  :)

[asin]B01MYC7F1I[/asin]
Q
I like it, although not as much as the second Gardiner one. I have not heard Suzuki for comparison.

Rod Corkin

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but I like the Hanover Band's (period instrument) recording a lot and it has remained on my playlist since I bought it many years ago. Not perfect but the sound is beautiful and the vocals excellent throughout...

"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

aligreto

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 28, 2018, 12:36:23 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned here but I like the Hanover Band's (period instrument) recording a lot and it has remained on my playlist since I bought it many years ago. Not perfect but the sound is beautiful and the vocals excellent throughout...

I also think that it is a fine version.  It is filled with drama and energy and the choral singing in particular is wonderful. It is definitely worth investigating for those who may not be familiar with it.

VonStupp

Quote from: Daverz on October 17, 2021, 01:37:05 PM

Based on a Hurwitzer recommendation:

https://www.youtube.com/v/1EeJ3OI7rhs

I tend to be in the traditional camp when it comes to these big symphonic choral works from older masters, so I will be curious to hear how Herbert Blomstedt's Missa Solemnis is. By the looks of the performing forces, it should be a quality product. In a work where the soloists are integral, I am not familiar with any of them, however.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Daverz

Quote from: VonStupp on October 17, 2021, 01:58:22 PM
I tend to be in the traditional camp when it comes to these big symphonic choral works from older masters, so I will be curious to hear how Herbert Blomstedt's Missa Solemnis is. By the looks of the performing forces, it should be a quality product. In a work where the soloists are integral, I am not familiar with any of them, however.

Listening to the Klemperer studio recording now.  What a monsterpiece!

VonStupp

Quote from: Daverz on October 17, 2021, 02:18:31 PM
Listening to the Klemperer studio recording now.  What a monsterpiece!

Nice!

Last year I upgraded to the audio-only Blu-ray of Karajan ('66). With Janowitz/Ludwig/Wunderlich/Berry, it is my go-to for my ideal solo quartet in Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."