Naxos to record mystery Shostakovich piece

Started by Brian, November 27, 2007, 10:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Naxos has announced it is recording a "major symphonic work" by Dmitry Shostakovich which has never been performed, but avoided explaining what exactly the new piece is. The enigmatic press release:

QuoteThe conductor Mark Fitz-Gerald and Naxos' Peter Bromley have visited the Association Chostakovitch in Paris to present Mrs Irina Shostakovich, the composer's widow, with copies of the new Naxos recording of the soundtrack to the sound/silent movie Odna (Alone), Shostakovich's second film. For release in January 2008 on 8.570316, this is the world première recording of Mark Fitz-Gerald's reconstruction of the score from the official Russian version of the film, made in close consultation with Mrs Shostakovich and published as Volume 123 in the new complete edition of the Collected Works.

Set in late 1920s Leningrad and then in the Altai Mountains in Russian Mongolia, Odna tells the story of a young teacher posted to a remote village in Siberia. The film boasts a dazzling score which calls for a huge orchestra including a banda (8 brass band instruments), theremin (Shostakovich was one of the first composers to write for this new electronic instrument), barrel-organ, a soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, a Mongolian throat singer and choir.

Mrs Shostakovich presented Mr Fitz-Gerald with the score for the 1936 movie Podrugi (Girlfriends), the story of three girls who grow up together and go on to be First World War nurses. Scored for permutations of string quartet, piano, trumpet, brass, timpani, organ, harp, theremin and full orchestra, Podrugi has never been performed or recorded. Mrs Shostakovich has graciously offered Naxos and Mark Fitz-Gerald the opportunity of making the first recording of the complete Podrugi soundtrack and music that was not included in the film, together with another previously unperformed and unrecorded major symphonic work.
Link

What could this mystery work be? What "major" part of Shosty's orchestral music has never been heard?

greg

didn't it just say? Film music to the movie "Odna?"

Brian

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 27, 2007, 01:01:26 PM
Well my reading was a couple Naxos people went to see Mrs. S. and gave her the new Odna CD, and in return she gave them the two other scores (Podrugi and the mystery one). Is that bogus?

Don

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 27, 2007, 01:01:26 PM

The last sentence of the original post indicates that another major symphonic work, in addition to the film music, is included on the recording.  I have no idea what it might be.

karlhenning

Quote from: brianrein on November 27, 2007, 10:04:26 AM
What could this mystery work be? What "major" part of Shosty's orchestral music has never been heard?

I wonder, especially if perhaps they are implying that as-yet-unrecorded back-reaches of Shostakovich's film-score catalogue qualifies as "major symphonic work."

BachQ

I look forward to hearing the Mongolian throat singer ........

greg

Quote from: D Minor on November 27, 2007, 02:37:00 PM
I look forward to hearing the Mongolian throat singer ........
as long as he doesn't sing my wall down  >:(