Which composer is the most refreshing?

Started by greg, December 02, 2007, 04:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

hornteacher

Quote from: Bogey on December 03, 2007, 02:57:00 PM
Copland. 

I'll second that.

Just listen to "Grovers Corners" from Our Town or "Down A Country Lane".

Que

PerfectWagnerite

Heather Harrison

At the moment, Charles Ives comes to mind.  His work is unique, unusual, and entertaining.  If I'm feeling a bit bored, jaded, or just plain lazy, I can count on him to jolt me out of my malaise.

Heather

Ten thumbs

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on December 03, 2007, 01:57:18 PM
Nielsen, Sibelius, Norgard.... runners-up for me  8)
the second runner-up, right before Bartok would be Prokofiev and after him, my list would definetely include Henze, Gorecki, and Glass...

Maybe there's a Northern influence here somewhere because the first composer who came to mind was Berwald.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

greg

Quote from: Ten thumbs on December 07, 2007, 02:17:12 PM
Maybe there's a Northern influence here somewhere because the first composer who came to mind was Berwald.
I thought of something 2 days ago..... most of the composers mentioned on this thread tend to be a bit isolated...... notice the lack of German composers. Ives, Sibelius, Bartok, Nielsen..... i guess there aren't too many famous composers associated with them compared to, say, the Schumann-Brahms-Strauss-Beethoven-Dvorak etc. group...