Author Topic: Nielsen Symphonies  (Read 13472 times)

Offline Roasted Swan

Re: Nielsen Symphonies
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
That's interesting. I have both of those recordings but haven't played them for a while. I must check the condition. The only bronzing experience I've had is with one of the older Bantock discs on Hyperion. The company immediately replaced it for me.
I like this historic set very much:

I've also greatly enjoyed the Storgards set and Thomson's as well as the underrated Rozhdestvensy. Barbirolli's Symphony 5 is terrific with the most anarchic side-drummer and Ormandy's No.6.

Below are two more Nielsen recordings which I think highly of:

Any discs with "CPO" around the central spindle hole might well bronze.  At one point that pressing company - CPO - replaced all bronzed discs.  But they don't anymore - its down to individual recording companies - such as Hyperion - to take a view.  Of the bronzed discs I have none have yet "failed".  If in doubt I burn a copy and store it in the same CD case.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »
Any discs with "CPO" around the central spindle hole might well bronze.  At one point that pressing company - CPO - replaced all bronzed discs.  But they don't anymore - its down to individual recording companies - such as Hyperion - to take a view.  Of the bronzed discs I have none have yet "failed".  If in doubt I burn a copy and store it in the same CD case.
Thanks RS. Good idea!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »

PDO (Philips and Dupont Optical), not CPO which of course is a classical music label. Bronzing CDs were manufactured between 1988 and 1993 in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2019, 02:00:40 AM »
PDO (Philips and Dupont Optical), not CPO which of course is a classical music label. Bronzing CDs were manufactured between 1988 and 1993 in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

Duh!  - stupid me - I knew that perfectly well just didn't engage brain.... thanks for correcting and apologies

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2019, 03:13:15 AM »
Duh!  - stupid me - I knew that perfectly well just didn't engage brain.... thanks for correcting and apologies

No problem! Easy mistake to make...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
... Bronzing CDs were manufactured between 1988 and 1993 in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire. And though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2019, 02:27:37 PM »
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire. And though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all.

A John Lennon prophecy of pinholes in CDs!

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
Bronzing does not necessarily involve holes and there are pinhole discs that are not bronzed.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)