Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Bulldog
When you stop and think about it, playing the full size harp is like removing the string frame assembly from a harpsicord standing it upright and using your fingers to pluck the strings..........same family sound.

I see several accordion versions of Goldberg, but something about the image of that in my mind just seems  so wrong  :)

MN Dave

Bulldog

A new kid on the block is Aapo Hakkinen on Alba - excellent performance in state-of-the-art sound.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on January 06, 2010, 07:47:46 AM
A new kid on the block is Aapo Hakkinen on Alba - excellent performance in state-of-the-art sound.

Interesting. He and Mikko Perkola recorded an excellent disc with the Gamba Sonatas - on Naxos - three years ago.

karlhenning

SonicMan46

Just added that one to my 'wish list' - superb review in the Jan-Feb 2010 issue of Fanfare:)

premont

One more Goldberg, - and you own more than 100 different recordings IIRC. :o :o :o
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on January 06, 2010, 09:37:30 AM
Just added that one to my 'wish list' - superb review in the Jan-Feb 2010 issue of Fanfare!  :)

The Fanfare reviewer also lists the slow motion 2CD Richard Egarr/HM as a "life altering" reference Goldberg...........hmmmm  :(

On the plus side Hakkinen studied under Pierre Hantai, a definite positive for me  :)
Regardless this will have to wait behind the Feb 2010 release of Goldberg by Andreas Staier for purchase consideration

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 06, 2010, 11:06:10 AM
The Fanfare reviewer also lists the slow motion 2CD Richard Egarr/HM as a "life altering" reference Goldberg...........hmmmm 

Yup, that's Mr. Jerry Dubins at the helm, and I found his Egarr review odd at best.  I wouldn't put much stock in his Bach reviews; then again, I don't put much stock in anyone's Bach reviews except for my own.  My opinion that this new Alba disc is mighty fine is nothing but my own.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on January 06, 2010, 01:01:07 PM
Yup, that's Mr. Jerry Dubins at the helm, and I found his Egarr review odd at best.  I wouldn't put much stock in his Bach reviews; then again, I don't put much stock in anyone's Bach reviews except for my own.  My opinion that this new Alba disc is mighty fine is nothing but my own.

Don - love the comments above & I really enjoy your recommendations (and have bought many CDs based on your thoughts!) - but, I just wonder that there must be a couple of discs that you've at least tried out based on some comments of our GMG members?  ;) ;D  Dave

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on January 06, 2010, 03:59:02 PM
Don - love the comments above & I really enjoy your recommendations (and have bought many CDs based on your thoughts!) - but, I just wonder that there must be a couple of discs that you've at least tried out based on some comments of our GMG members?  ;) ;D  Dave

I'm sure you're right about that, and I do remember that comments here about Paul Juon got me interested.  However, Bach's a different matter.

Bunny

Quote from: DarkAngel on January 06, 2010, 11:06:10 AM
The Fanfare reviewer also lists the slow motion 2CD Richard Egarr/HM as a "life altering" reference Goldberg...........hmmmm  :(

I have that, and don't recommend it.  It plods where it should dance, but it does sound very good on a purely accoustic level.  I can't understand how anyone could describe it as life altering unless they are saying that it is the first time they have been bored by Bach.

SonicMan46

Well, just received a small box from BRO w/ the disc pictured below:

Fabio Bonizzoni on a harpsichord by Willem Kroesbergen after J. Couchet - just $8 - found a lengthy review by Giordano Bruno on Amazon HERE - I usually like his comments and he seems to know this music well; so, took a chance and am just starting my listening - excellent sound, like the instrument, and appreciate the performance - Bonizzoni does not seem to have been discussed in this thread yet, positive or negative - any thoughts?   :D

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on February 22, 2010, 01:52:48 PM

Fabio Bonizzoni on a harpsichord by Willem Kroesbergen after J. Couchet - just $8 - found a lengthy review by Giordano Bruno on Amazon HERE - I usually like his comments and he seems to know this music well; so, took a chance and am just starting my listening - excellent sound, like the instrument, and appreciate the performance - Bonizzoni does not seem to have been discussed in this thread yet, positive or negative - any thoughts?   :D

Positive.  I find the performances interesting, and Bonizzoni freely uses rhythmic hesitations and other agogic devices; they don't sound contrived to me. 

DarkAngel

Quote from: SonicMan on February 22, 2010, 01:52:48 PM

Fabio Bonizzoni on a harpsichord by Willem Kroesbergen after J. Couchet - just $8 - found a lengthy review by Giordano Bruno on Amazon HERE - I usually like his comments and he seems to know this music well; so, took a chance and am just starting my listening - excellent sound, like the instrument, and appreciate the performance - Bonizzoni does not seem to have been discussed in this thread yet, positive or negative - any thoughts? 

Sounds good to me from samples......
never heard of Fabio Bonizzoni before but I do have some of the Glossa label Handel cantatas which he is credited on. Nothing radical, just naturally flowing rythms that are alive and display imaginative touches, do I really need yet another very good Goldberg, hmmmm

That guy G. Bruno at Amazon is right about advantages of a 2 manual keyboard to do Goldbergs justice, was watching the DVD that comes with Staiers new Goldberg and there is plenty of hand crossovers occuring

Did you see that huge Hanssler label Bach 16CD boxset of solo keyboard works listed right above this CD at BRO for only $40......tempting

DarkAngel

Andreas Staier
Goldberg Variations is out now, we have some sound samples available please check them out.
Very warm rich sounding harpsicord (almost like a pedal harpsicord) that is played is a somewhat wet reverberant sound similar to Rousset's recent Ambroise label work, Bulldog may not like this from his previous Rousset comments......

Staier does not shy away from using lute stop for tracks 16, 20, 21 hybrid, 25 to explore many possible options, overall more inward reflective serious minded performance than I usually hear from Staier, comes with DVD with Andre giving his thoughts on performance technique, history and playing a few pieces.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Goldberg-Variationen-BWV-988/hnum/3477014

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on February 23, 2010, 11:37:35 AM

Andreas Staier
Goldberg Variations is out now, we have some sound samples available please check them out.
Very warm rich sounding harpsicord (almost like a pedal harpsicord) that is played is a somewhat wet reverberant sound similar to Rousset's recent Ambroise label work, Bulldog may not like this from his previous Rousset comments......

Staier does not shy away from using lute stop for tracks 16, 20, 21 hybrid, 25 to explore many possible options, overall more inward reflective serious minded performance than I usually hear from Staier, comes with DVD with Andre giving his thoughts on performance technique, history and playing a few pieces.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Goldberg-Variationen-BWV-988/hnum/3477014

You have me pegged correctly.  The samples sound as if Staier is playing from the proverbial airport hangar; I do hate that type of sound.  On the other hand, the interpretations seem quite rewarding and invigorating.  I'll likely acquire the recording and use my trusty equalizer to "tame the hangar".

SonicMan46

Quote from: DarkAngel on February 22, 2010, 07:20:17 PM

Sounds good to me from samples......
never heard of Fabio Bonizzoni before but I do have some of the Glossa label Handel cantatas which he is credited on. Nothing radical, just naturally flowing rythms that are alive and display imaginative touches, do I really need yet another very good Goldberg, hmmmm

Did you see that huge Hanssler label Bach 16CD boxset of solo keyboard works listed right above this CD at BRO for only $40......tempting

Don & DA - thanks for the comments on Bonizzoni - did not get to complete the disc but will soon!  I really liked what I heard - not sure that I understand all of Bruno's comments from his Amazon review but the dual manual harpsichord seems quite well done in this recording - Dave  :D

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on February 23, 2010, 02:23:08 PM
Don & DA - thanks for the comments on Bonizzoni - did not get to complete the disc but will soon!  I really liked what I heard - not sure that I understand all of Bruno's comments from his Amazon review but the dual manual harpsichord seems quite well done in this recording - Dave  :D

Bruno's amazement with Bonizzoni tells me that he isn't very familiar with the Goldberg's discography.  There are many instances where he seems to say that only Bonizzoni plays a piece "that way", clearly inaccurate.  Also, he paints the harpsichordist as a musical bi-sexual. :D

Bulldog

Another Goldbergs that has value comes from harpsichordist Jacqueline Ogeil on ABC Classics.  Released in 2005, it's a straightforward interpretation with a regimen of short rhythmic hesitations.  Although enjoyable, I feel that she could have employed greater nuance, particularly in the slower and more profound variations; her tempos in these pieces are on the quick side.