Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

I haven't really found anything to keep me captivated with the Goldbergs since discovering Andrew Rangell's recording. I've listened to this a couple of times, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. In general it seems a bit drier (less expressive) than David Buechner's.

SonicMan46

Not sure that I need any additions to my Goldberg Collection on keyboard - own the first 7 below, i.e. 2 on piano, 2 on clavichord (although the Tuma has both a clavichord & harpsichord disc), 3 on harpsichord - and from recent discussion here maybe Rübsam on lute-harpsichord (just ordered his discs on the French Suites)?  This thread has two dozen pages and dates back to 2007 - there are so many recommendations (and over the years, I've culled out a number, how many?) - can add some reviews but there are just too many discs below - will do if desired for anyone coming into this thread just getting started in this Papa Bach popular work - looking forward to some updated comments.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 09, 2022, 07:32:28 AM
Not sure that I need any additions to my Goldberg Collection on keyboard - own the first 7 below, i.e. 2 on piano, 2 on clavichord (although the Tuma has both a clavichord & harpsichord disc), 3 on harpsichord - and from recent discussion here maybe Rübsam on lute-harpsichord (just ordered his discs on the French Suites)?  This thread has two dozen pages and dates back to 2007 - there are so many recommendations (and over the years, I've culled out a number, how many?) - can add some reviews but there are just too many discs below - will do if desired for anyone coming into this thread just getting started in this Papa Bach popular work - looking forward to some updated comments.  Dave :)

I think you should use spotify to explore the Polish school -- Marcin Swiatkiewicz comes to mind first and foremost, but also Władysław Kłosiewicz. And exploring recordings on a different type of piano could be rewarding -- like Walter Riemer's, but it is unfortunately not on spotify

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldberg-Variations-Walter-Riemer/dp/B000W2GCSU

Colin Booth made a recording which is extremely well informed, the result of a painstaking study of Bach's intentions. I think it's very good, and you can hear it on spotify.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2022, 08:32:35 AM
I think you should use spotify to explore the Polish school -- Marcin Swiatkiewicz comes to mind first and foremost, but also Władysław Kłosiewicz. And exploring recordings on a different type of piano could be rewarding -- like Walter Riemer's, but it is unfortunately not on spotify

Colin Booth made a recording which is extremely well informed, the result of a painstaking study of Bach's intentions. I think it's very good, and you can hear it on spotify.

LOL!  :laugh:  Where do you come up w/ all of these names? Now I've heard of Swiatkiewicz and Riemer, but not the other two, sorry - also I was reading about Booth - he makes his own harpsichords and performs - impressive, as are the attached reviews - believe that I'll take a listen on Spotify to both of them - if I purchased one would you prefer having Booth or Rübsam on his lute-harpsichord?  Thanks as always for the added information.  Dave :)

P.S.  there are just TOO many Goldberg recordings!  ???  For example, I went to BRO and searched their catalog and found the approximate two dozen listed below (that does not include some Bach box sets) - I've heard of only half of these performers - where to draw the line - at the start of this thread Don (i.e. Bulldog) stated he had over 100 recordings back in 2007! 

QuoteBRO (Berkshire Record Exchange) - Goldbergs Available
Barenboim, Daniel (piano) - Euroarts (1 CD)
Buchberger Trio (string trio) - Klanglogo (1 CD)
Chung, Mia (piano) - Channel (1 CD)
Crossland, Jill (piano) - Warner (1 CD)
Devine, Steven (harpsichord) - Chandos (1 CD)
Dirksen, Pieter (harpsichord) - Et Cetera (2 CDs)
Goldberg String Trio (chamber) - Guild (1 CD)
Gould, Glenn (piano) - Fabula Classica (5 CDs)
Harbach, Barbara (harpsichord) - Gasparo (1 CD)
Hayden, Seymour (harpsichord) - Boston Skyline (1 CD)
Hewitt, Angela (piano) - Hyperion (1 CD)
Kato, Sachiko (piano) - Centaur (1 CD)
Kolesnikov, Pavel (piano) - Hyperion (1 CD)
Koroliov, Evgeni (piano) - Medici Arts (1 CD)
Leopold String Trio (chamber) - Hyperion (1 CD)
Li, Cecilia (piano) - Amati (1 CD)
Martins, Joao (piano) - Tomato (1 CD)
Nikolayeva, Tatiana (piano) - Hyperion (1 CD)
Ohniski, Takae (harpsichord) - Bridge (1 CD)
Payne, Joseph (piano) - BIS (1 CD)
Traxler, Erich (harpsichord) - Paladino Music (1 CD)
Trio Echnaton (string trio) - Coviello (1 CD)
Vartolo, Sergio (harpsichord) - Tactus (2 CDs)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 09, 2022, 10:41:58 AM
if I purchased one would you prefer having Booth or Rübsam on his lute-harpsichord?  Thanks as always for the added information.  Dave :)

I know that you don't really think I'm going to answer that.

Władysław Kłosiewicz has made interesting Froberger and Scarlatti recordings.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2022, 11:21:41 AM
I know that you don't really think I'm going to answer that.

Władysław Kłosiewicz has made interesting Froberger and Scarlatti recordings.

Of course not, just a 'tongue in cheek' question -  8)  I'll take a listen off Spotify and make a decision, if the recordings are available at a decent price.  Thanks again for the comments.  Dave :)

Mandryka

I must say, looking at these three -- if you check them out you'll hear such radical differences of approach! Astonishing, and wonderful, the lack of consensus about what this music sounds like.

I mean, they show how lively the world of "HIP" Bach is.

prémont

LOL!  :laugh:  Where do you come up w/ all of these names? Now I've heard of Swiatkiewicz and Riemer, but not the other two, sorry - also I was reading about Booth - he makes his own harpsichords and performs - impressive, as are the attached reviews - believe that I'll take a listen on Spotify to both of them - if I purchased one would you prefer having Booth or Rübsam on his lute-harpsichord?  Thanks as always for the added information.  Dave :)

P.S.  there are just TOO many Goldberg recordings!  ??? 

Yes, there are too many recordings of the Goldberg variations, which means that one must have many to have everything covered.

Swiatkiewicz is too bombastic for me - a bit like Staier, but Colin Booth is outstanding in every respect. Another one I value highly is Wolfgang Glüxam, but also Pieter-Jan Belder, Frédérick Haas and of course Wolfgang Rübsam are worthwile - not to forget Gustav Leonhardt (Teldec or DHM), Kenneth Gilbert or Trevor Pinnock.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

San Antone

A current favorite of mine:

Bach | Goldberg Variations
Zhu Xiao-Mei

This one is from 2014, and also available in the documentary about her long history with the work.  She also recorded in it 1999.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2022, 08:32:35 AM

I didn't know Swiatkiewicz. Wow. That's a hefty-sounding machine!

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 09, 2022, 10:41:57 PM
I didn't know Swiatkiewicz. Wow. That's a hefty-sounding machine!

Harpsichord by Martin Kramer d'après an 18th century German instrument, it has a 16' stop.

Mandryka

It's interesting for anyone listening to all three of the ones I mentioned - Swiatkiewicz, Rübsam and Booth - to pay attention to pulse. Booth prefers a firmer pulse, clearly marked out. Rübsam and Swiatkiewicz tend to be more fluid - sensual in the case of Rübsam, visceral in the case of Swiatkiewicz. I suppose this is a matter of taste and discretion.

There's a lot in the Booth. At first it gives the impression of being more mainstream than the other two, but that's an illusion and it's full of interesting fresh ideas which constantly make me prick up my ears. However I do have to get used to that more underlined pulse, which is not how I like things normally.

Both Booth and Rübsam take a long time about it, and of course there really is no need listen to the whole thing in one go. But I do!

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2022, 01:56:20 AM
It's interesting for anyone listening to all three of the ones I mentioned - Swiatkiewicz, Rübsam and Booth - to pay attention to pulse. Booth prefers a firmer pulse, clearly marked out. Rübsam and Swiatkiewicz tend to be more fluid - sensual in the case of Rübsam, visceral in the case of Swiatkiewicz. I suppose this is a matter of taste and discretion.

There's a lot in the Booth. At first it gives the impression of being more mainstream than the other two, but that's an illusion and it's full of interesting fresh ideas which constantly make me prick up my ears. However I do have to get used to that more underlined pulse, which is not how I like things normally.

Both Booth and Rübsam take a long time about it, and of course there really is no need listen to the whole thing in one go. But I do!
I love the Swiatkiewicz. He's so imaginative and there are surprises around every turn (variations 21&23!). I didn't think I could be surprised by the GBVs anymore. And yes, pianists are boring in comparison to this lot.

SonicMan46

LOL!  :laugh:  Where do you come up w/ all of these names? Now I've heard of Swiatkiewicz and Riemer, but not the other two, sorry - also I was reading about Booth - he makes his own harpsichords and performs - impressive, as are the attached reviews - believe that I'll take a listen on Spotify to both of them........  Dave :)

P.S.  there are just TOO many Goldberg recordings! ...................

Quote from: Mandryka on February 09, 2022, 11:41:36 AM
I must say, looking at these three -- if you check them out you'll hear such radical differences of approach! Astonishing, and wonderful, the lack of consensus about what this music sounds like.........I mean, they show how lively the world of "HIP" Bach is.

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 09, 2022, 12:29:22 PM
Yes, there are too many recordings of the Goldberg variations, which means that one must have many to have everything covered.

Swiatkiewicz is too bombastic for me - a bit like Staier, but Colin Booth is outstanding in every respect. Another one I value highly is Wolfgang Glüxam, but also Pieter-Jan Belder, Frédérick Haas and of course Wolfgang Rübsam are worthwile - not to forget Gustav Leonhardt (Teldec or DHM), Kenneth Gilbert or Trevor Pinnock.

Quote from: milk on February 10, 2022, 07:35:21 AM
I love the Swiatkiewicz. He's so imaginative and there are surprises around every turn (variations 21&23!). I didn't think I could be surprised by the GBVs anymore. And yes, pianists are boring in comparison to this lot.

Thanks again ALL for the many comments, some quoted above - I put together a Spotify playlist of the 3 recordings pictured at the top and discussed - spent a couple of hours this morning listening to the majority of each performance - for me have to agree w/ : premont :'s bolded statement about Swiatkiewicz, i.e. did not like the broad dynamics in these works - Booth vs. Rübsam - well liked both but favored Booth - he's going for $21 USD on the Amazon MP; an $8 WAV DL at Qobuz - will look elsewhere for a cheaper physical CD - Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 10, 2022, 08:31:03 AM
Thanks again ALL for the many comments, some quoted above - I put together a Spotify playlist of the 3 recordings pictured at the top and discussed - spent a couple of hours this morning listening to the majority of each performance - for me have to agree w/ : premont :'s bolded statement about Swiatkiewicz, i.e. did not like the broad dynamics in these works - Booth vs. Rübsam - well liked both but favored Booth - he's going for $21 USD on the Amazon MP; an $8 WAV DL at Qobuz - will look elsewhere for a cheaper physical CD - Dave :)

Well now that you have made your decision I can reveal that of the three I would take Rübsam first and foremost. As far as I'm concerned Rübsam's is the only Goldberg Variations I need at the moment. Buy the Booth from Booth and send him an email with a link to this discussion - I'm sure he'll be pleased.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2022, 10:25:28 AM
Well now that you have made your decision I can reveal that of the three I would take Rübsam first and foremost. As far as I'm concerned Rübsam's is the only Goldberg Variations I need at the moment. Buy the Booth from Booth and send him an email with a link to this discussion - I'm sure he'll be pleased.

Well, today the 2-CD set of Rübsam doing the French Suites arrived, so I have him in those works - and who knows since I was 'on the fence', i.e. after listening to the French Suites might just get his Goldbergs?  Dave :)

P.S. just visited Booth's website HERE - he has some great sales, e.g. the WTC, 4 discs for £14 and buy 3 CDs and 1 is free!  And if I'm reading correctly the price includes shipping to me in the USA!

Mandryka

Listening to the Rübsam again, its weakness (they all have weaknesses, don't they?) is that there seems to be no sense of whole, it really is like a sequence of independent etudes. It feels like listening to a CD of madrigals in that respect. Some time soon I'll make it chose the tracks at random and see what that does for the experience.

The strength is just the extraordinary beauty of some, many, of them.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2022, 12:09:05 PM
Listening to the Rübsam again, its weakness (they all have weaknesses, don't they?) is that there seems to be no sense of whole, it really is like a sequence of independent etudes. It feels like listening to a CD of madrigals in that respect. Some time soon I'll make it chose the tracks at random and see what that does for the experience.

The strength is just the extraordinary beauty of some, many, of them.

Hi Mandryka - maybe part of the process of Baroque composing - these guys wrote so much that they were borrowing/re-borrowing from themselves and others to increase their output, like the Brandenburg Concertos, all different - but I might be 'off base' from your comments above.  Now listening to Rübsam in the French Suites and really enjoying the 'luteness' of the harpsichord - might go back to my Spotify playlist for a re-listen of him in the Goldbergs?

BTW, I decided to put in an order on Colin Booth's website and take advantage of the '2 for 1' deal and to see if I indeed would get 'free shipping' from the UK to North Carolina - well, order shown below which translates to $36 USD for 3 CDs - I'm happy - added in a Henry Purcell recording (have a LOT of his chamber works but little solo keyboard) and a new compilation recording 'Fogliano to Froberger' which I hope to enjoy.  Dave :)

Mandryka

The Rübsam Goldbergs sound so much better this morning on the big hihi, Krell and Electrostatics  - more proof that anyone writing a review of a CD needs to listen to it over a period of months on several different systems. It is worth hearing for the bass notes alone - I hadn't noticed them in The French Suites.

I haven't heard Booth's Purcell, he seems to like English baroque. But I have the ricercar CD - again some days it sounds more interesting than others - I need another six months with it before commenting.

Nice to see £27 = $36. That means a holiday in the states is a possibility. I fancy Colorado.

Que

I think I have reached a point of saturation in quite some Bach repertoire, the Goldbergs are no exception...

But curiosity has won me over - it was nice to see what's new since I really dug into available versions.  :)

Belder II was already on my to do list. Will add Glüxam and, if I can find it streaming, Booth.