Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norbeone

Quote from: bassio on December 21, 2007, 11:41:50 AM
Am I the only one who prefers '51 and the live in Salzburg to his later effort.  ???

No you're definitely not the only one. In fact, I think most people prefer the '55 version the most, which I can both understand and not understand simultaneously. I think each version gets better, in other words that the '59 Live version is better than the '55 and the '81 is (much) better than both. Only my personal preference, of course. (I use 'better' as a synonym for preferable, I suppose).

bassio

Quote from: Norbeone on December 21, 2007, 01:08:04 PM
No you're definitely not the only one. In fact, I think most people prefer the '55 version the most, which I can both understand and not understand simultaneously. I think each version gets better, in other words that the '59 Live version is better than the '55 and the '81 is (much) better than both. Only my personal preference, of course. (I use 'better' as a synonym for preferable, I suppose).

I like the three versions .. but the problem with me and the '81 is the second half starting from variation 16 where the staccato and the choppiness becomes too excessive for my taste

I also have to say that I am not a big fan of Tureck's efforts (the later one).

[Please do not kill me .. I am new here, believe me]

Norbeone

Quote from: bassio on December 21, 2007, 05:11:58 PM
I like the three versions .. but the problem with me and the '81 is the second half starting from variation 16 where the staccato and the choppiness becomes too excessive for my taste

I also have to say that I am not a big fan of Tureck's efforts (the later one).

[Please do not kill me .. I am new here, believe me]

That's fair enough, but it's one of the things I like about it :)

And I agree with your view on Tureck's recording. Very plain and essentially boring, IMO.    :o

Don

Quote from: Norbeone on December 22, 2007, 07:17:54 AM

And I agree with your view on Tureck's recording. Very plain and essentially boring, IMO.    :o

That hurts!  Tureck's DG Goldbergs is one of my favorites; I find it totally captivating.  I do realize that many folks consider it stodgy, but I don't hear any of that.

Norbeone

Quote from: Don on December 22, 2007, 11:21:30 AM
That hurts!  Tureck's DG Goldbergs is one of my favorites; I find it totally captivating.  I do realize that many folks consider it stodgy, but I don't hear any of that.

Actually I take it back, because I haven't heard it! I'm thinking of her recording of the WTC. Apologies for the hurt, Don.

I must listen to her Tureck, in that case.

bassio

Quote from: Norbeone on December 23, 2007, 09:02:15 AM
Actually I take it back, because I haven't heard it! I'm thinking of her recording of the WTC. Apologies for the hurt, Don.

Ouch. Now you hurt me Norbeone  ;D

Norbeone

Imperfect Pitch

Sorry to be late to the party ... just joined the forum ... but here's another vote for Gould '81 followed by Gould '55.  I also like Gould's live 1959 Salzburg performance, which has a certain warmth to it.  It's closer to the '55 traversal interpretation-wise (not surprising given the chronological proximity), but foreshadows some aspects of '81 like having certain variations run right into the next without any pause.  I found Gould's 1954 CBC recording to be a bit underwhelming in comparison to his other three.  I like Tureck for certain isolated variations (particularly the toccata-like ones, less so in the canons and slower variations).  A pianist named Zhu Xiao-Mei released an outstanding Goldberg in 1999 or so that went virtually unnoticed.  Now it's out of print but still available used, I think.  As for Simone Dinnerstein's recent CD, I didn't really find anything interesting about it - struck me as a bit pedestrian.  Ditto for Barenboim's live recording from Buenos Aires, which I heard years ago.

Don

Quote from: Imperfect Pitch on December 29, 2007, 06:56:26 AM
A pianist named Zhu Xiao-Mei released an outstanding Goldberg in 1999 or so that went virtually unnoticed.  Now it's out of print but still available used, I think.  

A Goldbergs from Mei is now available on the Mirare label.  Does anyone know if it's a new recording or just the 1999 transferred to a different label?

Que

Quote from: Don on December 29, 2007, 07:29:01 AM
A Goldbergs from Mei is now available on the Mirare label.  Does anyone know if it's a new recording or just the 1999 transferred to a different label?

It's the old recording - from the Mirare site:

"Les éditions Laffont lui ont proposé de retracer son histoire dans une autobiographie qui sort en septembre 2007. Pour accompagner cette sortie, elle a demandé au label Mirare de rééditer son disque des « Variations Goldberg » qu'elle a enregistré il y a quinze ans, une œuvre qui lui tient tout particulièrement à cœur, comme elle le souligne dans son livre."

Q

Imperfect Pitch

Quote from: Don on December 29, 2007, 07:29:01 AM
Does anyone know if it's a new recording or just the 1999 transferred to a different label?

Hi Don - I agree with Que, I believe it's a reissue of the old recording.  The Mirare site currently has a clip of Var. 1, which sounds identical (to my ears) to the 1999 Mandala release that I have.  But thanks for pointing out the reissue - good to see this recording back in print.

(The clip of Var. 1 can be found at http://www.mirare.fr/DisquesMirare/Zhu-Goldberg.html). 

LVB_opus.125

PSmith08

I'm partial to Pierre Hantaï's second recording (on Mirare), though his first record seems to be better-liked among some reviewers. If you can track down Scott Ross' recording on Erato (or Virgin Veritas), then that is a fine choice, too. If you can get Rousset's version on Decca, then you'd be pretty happy, too. Really, for my money: Hantaï, Ross, or Rousset - take your pick.

Que

My favourites (in random order): Céline Frisch (Alpha), Christophe Rousset (Decca/ L'Oiseau Lyre), Ottavio Dantone (Decca).

Check this thread for more: Bach on the Harpsichord (lute-harpsichord, clavichord, etc.)

Q

val

My favorite, and by far, Pierre Hantai.

Josquin des Prez

None... yet. Granted, i'm pretty hard to satisfy, as some of you may have gathered.

Don

Those mentioned so far are all wonderful.  I would also add Leonhardt; many love the Landowska as well.

bassio

Quote from: Don on February 21, 2008, 08:21:37 AM
Those mentioned so far are all wonderful.  I would also add Leonhardt; many love the Landowska as well.

I listened to the Landowska (can't remember which label but it was the earlier recording .. maybe EmI) like two years ago, I have to say I was disappointed. I loved her Well Tempered Klavier.

But beware: in these old days I had vigor .. Gould on my mind and I really was not the one to judge harpsichord recordings back then. I listen more to piano.

Anyway, I also heard Kirkpatrick, Pinnock. Both disappointed me too.

I listened to Ross and it is the best of these four versions I heard, but I feel this is not Ross's best playing. I will give it a relisten one day.

I still did not hear Hantai, Rousset or Leonhardt.

Can I finally agree with Josquin when he says .. ??!!
QuoteNone... yet.

marvinbrown

I have the following recording of the Goldberg Variations and find them very enjoyable.  Whether they are the best on the market I would not know:

marvin

Tyson

I prefer bach on the piano, but if I have to listen to it on harpsichord, Rousset and Hentai are the ones I'd choose.
At a loss for words.