Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

Quote from: Lethe on December 03, 2007, 01:22:07 PM
Can anyone recommend two recordings - one using a (relatively) high amount of repeats, and the other using a low amount? I am not familiar enough with the piece to be aware of any real differences.

High amount - Tureck.

Low amount - Leonhardt.

Don

Quote from: Drasko on December 03, 2007, 01:25:17 PM
Any opinions on differences between Scott Ross (Erato) & Scott Ross (EMI/Virgin).

I'm thinking getting one of them, but which?

thanks

Sorry, but I never heard the Erato version.

Lethevich

Quote from: Don on December 03, 2007, 01:54:14 PM
High amount - Tureck.

Low amount - Leonhardt.

Thank you :) Only one to buy - I have and enjoy the Leonhardt on Vanguard.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Lethe on December 03, 2007, 02:03:56 PM
Thank you :) Only one to buy - I have and enjoy the Leonhardt on Vanguard.

;D

Yes, the Leonhardt Vanguard Historic recording is superb.  The State of Wonder set by Gould is a fine one to have, I prefer his 1981 version with the repeats over the '55.  The set also includes a 1 hour + conversation which is essential if you are getting to know the works.  I am not a total GG supporter but there's no complaints in his Goldberg's or Bach in general IMO.

Haven't heard the 1959 version or seen it available over here (not looked too hard to find it) but in general surfing I haven't come across it.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Drasko

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on December 03, 2007, 02:11:53 PM

Haven't heard the 1959 version or seen it available over here (not looked too hard to find it) but in general surfing I haven't come across it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenn-Gould-Jan-Pieterszoon-Sweelinck/dp/B000025DK4

Don

;D

Yes, the Leonhardt Vanguard Historic recording is superb.  The State of Wonder set by Gould is a fine one to have, I prefer his 1981 version with the repeats over the '55.  The set also includes a 1 hour + conversation which is essential if you are getting to know the works.  I am not a total GG supporter but there's no complaints in his Goldberg's or Bach in general IMO.

You're in England, right?  Well, Amazon UK has it readily available.

Sorry, I didn't notice the Drasko link.

AnthonyAthletic

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mark

I got this (albeit in a different issue to the one Drasko has linked to) for about £1.20.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Don on December 03, 2007, 02:17:43 PM
You're in England, right?  Well, Amazon UK has it readily available.

Got it, thanks to Drasko's link.  Caiman USA (who have always delivered) are about to do so again  ;)

Now we need to dig out the WTC topic, sadly I didn't take to the GG recording of these masterpieces but am quite content with Tureck (mono) DG & Richter's RCA set, which does sound distant and slightly muffled in the recording.

Don

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on December 03, 2007, 02:22:09 PM
Got it, thanks to Drasko's link.  Caiman USA (who have always delivered) are about to do so again  ;)

Now we need to dig out the WTC topic, sadly I didn't take to the GG recording of these masterpieces but am quite content with Tureck (mono) DG & Richter's RCA set, which does sound distant and slightly muffled in the recording.

Yes, that Tureck/DG mono set is totally compelling and my favorite complete WTC on piano.

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: Mark on December 03, 2007, 11:07:30 AM
I kid you not. Don loves Bach. The Goldberg Variations especially. 0:)

Hey Mark,do you think Don might enjoy Handel's Chaconne in G Major HWV 435?

Mark

Quote from: Muriel on December 03, 2007, 03:46:31 PM

Lord alone knows, Muriel. Don't think I've heard that. :-\

Lady Chatterley

They are a splendid set of variations,you can find it played by Murray Perahia.

Don

Quote from: Muriel on December 03, 2007, 03:46:31 PM

Don does enjoy the Chaconne but not as much as the Goldbergs. :D

12tone.

Quote from: karlhenning on December 03, 2007, 11:23:16 AM
And Don never sleeps to the Goldbergs  $:)

You misspeak a bit. This is not 'music intended to induce sleep';  this is music to listen to if you find that you cannot sleep.  There is a difference  8)

Except that when one listens to a piece, whilst being 'not able to sleep', to actually get to sleep!

Que

Quote from: Don on December 03, 2007, 01:56:26 PM
Sorry, but I never heard the Erato version.

So, I have a Goldbergs recording you don't have.... :o

Amazing! :)

Q

P.S. Sorry Drasko, don't know the Scott Ross on EMI/Virgin.

Don

Quote from: Que on December 03, 2007, 05:54:48 PM
So, I have a Goldbergs recording you don't have.... :o

Amazing! :)

Q

It's very easy to accumulate dozens of Goldbergs without making any attempt to collect them all.  There is one brand new recording I definitely will get - Burkard Schliessmann on Bayer.

karlhenning

Quote from: 12tone. on December 03, 2007, 04:54:53 PM
Except that when one listens to a piece, whilst being 'not able to sleep', to actually get to sleep!

Well, in my experience, it doesn't work;  there is either relaxing into sleep, or there is engaged listening.  So perhaps there is some better way to put it than "listening to a piece in order to fall asleep" . . . ?

71 dB

Quote from: Don on December 03, 2007, 01:51:25 PM
Yes, Sony "06" as long as folks know that's it's simply the Gould "55" all gussied up to not sound like an historical recording.  Personally, I think it's only part Gould.  Let's face it - this tinkering around with the sound takes some of the fizz out of the performance.

Yes, it's Gould "55" but with sound quality of today. It's as if Gould was born 50 years later and recorded the work last year. All recordings are tinkering, this is just high-tech tinkering. Nothing relavant is taken away, only irrelevant noise.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Don

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2007, 05:38:07 AM
Yes, it's Gould "55" but with sound quality of today. It's as if Gould was born 50 years later and recorded the work last year. All recordings are tinkering, this is just high-tech tinkering. Nothing relavant is taken away, only irrelevant noise.

Since the "intervention" results in more rounded and rich phrasing, I definitely prefer the original mono version.