Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2007, 11:32:38 AM

Very stupid comment. People tend to have stupid opinions about new techology.

Thanks for your astute and thorough response. ::)

orbital

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2007, 11:32:38 AM

Very stupid comment. People tend to have stupid opinions about new techology.
71db, I am all for technology just like yourself. But one of the biggest advantages of technology is that it gives people more options to choose from. IT is great that you and I can enjoy Gould's performance in a modern, digital sound. But that does not have to be the only way to enjoy Gould from now on.

71 dB

Quote from: Don on December 04, 2007, 11:49:49 AM
Thanks for your astute and thorough response. ::)

Well, I am tired now. I am going soon to bed. It's typical people with limited technological knowledge use "colourful" language of new technology before it becomes familiar, normal and accepted. 10 years and nobody calls Gould "06" electronic ventriloquism (verbaly innovative expression but sadly reveals only lack of techonogical understanding - it's all prejudice.)

The performance is acoustic, not electronic. It's played on acoustic piano. We have Gould's performance because he recorded it in 1955. We just had to develop an extremely sophisticated method to "read" it from the original recording.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Don

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2007, 12:05:03 PM
Well, I am tired now. I am going soon to bed. It's typical people with limited technological knowledge use "colourful" language of new technology before it becomes familiar, normal and accepted. 10 years and nobody calls Gould "06" electronic ventriloquism (verbaly innovative expression but sadly reveals only lack of techonogical understanding - it's all prejudice.)

The performance is acoustic, not electronic. It's played on acoustic piano. We have Gould's performance because he recorded it in 1955. We just had to develop an extremely sophisticated method to "read" it from the original recording.

I've defended you in the past when others berated you for weeks on end.  That's all over now.  From this point on, you don't exist.

karlhenning

Don, do I remember you not liking the Schepkin as well as others?

71 dB

Quote from: orbital on December 04, 2007, 11:54:23 AM
71db, I am all for technology just like yourself. But one of the biggest advantages of technology is that it gives people more options to choose from. IT is great that you and I can enjoy Gould's performance in a modern, digital sound. But that does not have to be the only way to enjoy Gould from now on.

I agree with this.  ;)

Don

Quote from: karlhenning on December 04, 2007, 12:09:44 PM
Don, do I remember you not liking the Schepkin as well as others?

You have a good memory.  I haven't listened to the Schepkin the past few years, but my recollection is of a very fussy and ridiculously ornamented account.  But for all I know, I could hear it today and think it wonderful.  However, I can't do that because I disposed of the disc.  Funny thing is that I have very warm feelings about his complete WTC that was my introduction to his pianism.

71 dB

Quote from: Don on December 03, 2007, 11:42:49 AMGilbert/Harmonia Mundi

A friend I borrow CDs from/to has this one and praised it to me today.  :D I'll borrow it someday!

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2007, 12:42:28 PM
A friend I borrow CDs from/to has this one and praised it to me today.  :D I'll borrow it someday!

And this information is useful to us how? ....... how, exactly?

71 dB

Quote from: D Minor on December 04, 2007, 12:51:37 PM
And this information is useful to us how? ....... how, exactly?

Expect my opinion about it in the future.  ;)

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on December 04, 2007, 12:59:46 PM
Expect my opinion about it in the future.  ;)

Perhaps you should start a new thread called 71dB's Review Room ......... That would be a fun place to hang out .........

karlhenning

All the coolest freethinkers would hang there, Jack!

marvinbrown

Quote from: Don on December 04, 2007, 07:05:14 AM
Larry Rinkel?  Isn't he the guy who berates Harry about his conspicuous consumption patterns?

Yes I believe that's the Larry we are talking about!  I'm not really sure what happened but all of a sudden I saw him as a guest on GMG, he must have left us.  A real shame though, he was one of the most knowledgable members I have come across at GMG. I sensed that he had studied a lot of music theory that went well beyond the basics (which is where my knowledge ends)- it was often difficult for me to respond or comment on many of his posts as I felt he surpassed me on many accounts.  I hope one day he would change his mind and return.

marvin

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on December 04, 2007, 03:41:15 PM
All the coolest freethinkers would hang there, Jack!

Freethinkers need a special warm place where they can discuss multidimensional vibrational fields .........

I propose that 71dB's Review Room incorporate a vibrational field (VF) rating system (from VF1 to VF10), where each recording is assigned a VF rating.  This VF rating will then be correlated with a multidimensional orthogonality rating (MO rating) ....... Elgar newbies can then quickly look to see which Elgar releases boast of the highest VF/MO ratings .........

Don

Quote from: marvinbrown on December 05, 2007, 01:58:27 AM
  Yes I believe that's the Larry we are talking about!  I'm not really sure what happened but all of a sudden I saw him as a guest on GMG, he must have left us.  A real shame though, he was one of the most knowledgable members I have come across at GMG. I sensed that he had studied a lot of music theory that went well beyond the basics (which is where my knowledge ends)- it was often difficult for me to respond or comment on many of his posts as I felt he surpassed me on many accounts.  I hope one day he would change his mind and return.

marvin

It's fine with me if he returns - fine if he doesn't.  I do think he will come back once he cools off.

ragman1970

Schepkin is great with the BGV. (as well his other Bach recordings, esp. the WTK I and II)

gmstudio

Tonight I picked up Gould (81), Hewiit, Dinnerstein, and Gilbert.  Hewitt's up first, playing right now.

My only point of reference prior to this is the Gould '55.  Tonight should be interesting...

Norbeone

Quote from: gmstudio on December 17, 2007, 08:03:09 PM
My only point of reference prior to this is the Gould '55.  Tonight should be interesting...

You're in for a treat then, because the '81 blows it out of the water, IMO.   :)

gmstudio

Quote from: Norbeone on December 19, 2007, 01:18:00 PM
You're in for a treat then, because the '81 blows it out of the water, IMO.   :)

Indeed. I enjoyed the Hewitt and Dinnerstein, but LOVED the 81 Gould.  Haven't even gotten around to the Gilbert yet. (And I picked up Arrau and Landowska tonight as well...)

bassio

Am I the only one who prefers '51 and the live in Salzburg to his later effort.  ???