Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

well, what's one more? ...as of today. I'm a gonna see if it hold water.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 11, 2022, 03:36:40 AM

Someone I know, quite a well known composer, says it's the best Goldberg Variations he's ever heard.

I saw him play it in concert. It wasn't the best Goldberg Variations I've ever heard.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 11, 2022, 03:42:46 AM
Someone I know, quite a well known composer, says it's the best Goldberg Variations he's ever heard.

I saw him play it in concert. It wasn't the best Goldberg Variations I've ever heard.
I'm part way through and I think it's very good. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something good to say about it, even if it doesn't turn out to be a favorite. I think he does SOME things you would like. Let's see if I'm wrong. His playing reminds me a bit of Maasaki Suzuki. Perhaps it's a bit pretty at times though. ETA: there's a lot of inventiveness in Rondeau.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on February 11, 2022, 04:15:25 AM
I'm part way through and I think it's very good. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something good to say about it, even if it doesn't turn out to be a favorite. I think he does SOME things you would like. Let's see if I'm wrong. His playing reminds me a bit of Maasaki Suzuki. Perhaps it's a bit pretty at times though. ETA: there's a lot of inventiveness in Rondeau.

Well maybe, but I've listened to Rübsam, Swiatkiewicz and Booth over the past two days. I'm all Goldberged out.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on February 11, 2022, 07:26:13 AM
Well maybe, but I've listened to Rübsam, Swiatkiewicz and Booth over the past two days. I'm all Goldberged out.
I find it harder to approach GBVs with fresh ears than other Bach.

premont

Quote from: milk on February 11, 2022, 03:33:49 PM
I find it harder to approach GBVs with fresh ears than other Bach.

Is this about the music or the performance?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

Quote from: Que on February 10, 2022, 11:43:58 PM
Belder II was already on my to do list.

I think the recent one is Belder III

So many Goldbergs  ???

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 11, 2022, 04:04:14 PM
Is this about the music or the performance?
I've listened to them so many times. Plus, variations seem to get tiresome easily for me. I find the WTC to be the deepest of Bach's non-organ keyboard music; I get less tired of it. GBVs was the first classical music I fell in love with and it got me into classical. But I have to stretch myself to approach it now with a blank slate.

milk

yes there are so many versions on the market that it's impossible to narrow them down to a handful, maybe ridiculous. I'm on a jag, I feel like I'm hearing the music again and I don't want this one to get lost in the fray. Duration: 01:41:36

staxomega

Quote from: hvbias on August 09, 2021, 08:13:19 AM
I haven't really found anything to keep me captivated with the Goldbergs since discovering Andrew Rangell's recording. I've listened to this a couple of times, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. In general it seems a bit drier (less expressive) than David Buechner's.

The more I listen to this the more I feel like I share a kinship with Busoni in thinking the Goldbergs need to be cut down. As for the rest of Busoni's alterations I don't think they're that radical, most pianists take plenty of liberties anyway. And making a correction to my post, that was not meant to be dead naming Sara Davis Buechner, I only realized the error after that post and reading her book on Busoni/piano practice.

(meant to quote the post not edit the old one)

SonicMan46

Quote from: milk on February 11, 2022, 03:36:40 AM

Well, I gave Jean Rondeau a listen on Spotify and enjoyed - his performance is on 2-discs (107+ minutes), so must do the repeats - his 'doo' is a little more subtle on the Goldbergs cover -  :laugh:  Dave

premont

Quote from: Selig on February 11, 2022, 04:44:13 PM
I think the recent one is Belder III

You are right. He made a recording for a small Dutch label (don't recall which - Harry may know) before the two recordings for Brilliant.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: milk on February 11, 2022, 06:06:45 PM
I've listened to them so many times. Plus, variations seem to get tiresome easily for me. I find the WTC to be the deepest of Bach's non-organ keyboard music; I get less tired of it. GBVs was the first classical music I fell in love with and it got me into classical. But I have to stretch myself to approach it now with a blank slate.

I understand this well. Sometimes I feel in the same way, mainly however when the recordings are of little interest.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: milk on February 12, 2022, 07:40:30 AM
yes there are so many versions on the market that it's impossible to narrow them down to a handful, maybe ridiculous. I'm on a jag, I feel like I'm hearing the music again and I don't want this one to get lost in the fray. Duration: 01:41:36

This is the reason, why I have steered away from his Goldbergs, and not even heard some of it.

His Frescobaldi, Rossi, Trabaci et.c. on the other hand are excellent, even if I admit, that he is an acquired taste.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: hvbias on February 12, 2022, 08:20:37 AM
The more I listen to this the more I feel like I share a kinship with Busoni in thinking the Goldbergs need to be cut down. As for the rest of Busoni's alterations I don't think they're that radical, most pianists take plenty of liberties anyway. And making a correction to my post, that was not meant to be dead naming Sara Davis Buechner, I only realized the error after that post and reading her book on Busoni/piano practice.

(meant to quote the post not edit the old one)

I agree, the Wong is really agreeable because, after all the HIP recordings, it's irreverent and lively and light and cheeky.  A sort of comic interlude.

Mandryka

This is quite pleasant background music.

Mandryka

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001dyc2

Dmitry Sitkovetsky (arranger), Heribert Breuer (arranger)
Stephen de Pledge (fortepiano), New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Vesa-Matti Leppanen (director)

Good piano playing I think.

Mandryka

Anyone got a view on Watchorn's Goldbergs?

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/50/000140505.pdf

(I'm just so used to more rubato that I feel it's hard to take, but I can see that it's well thought through, full of interesting ideas, but somehow not poetically executed IMO. I missed it when it came out last year in fact. )

milk

This is very lively Bach played with very little dynamic changes or other piano "tricks." One would almost mistake this for a fortepiano, the way she plays it. Cload is expressive yet very natural and tasteful. Thanks to Mandyka for bringing attention to her. It's illuminating.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on June 11, 2023, 02:53:37 PM
This is very lively Bach played with very little dynamic changes or other piano "tricks." One would almost mistake this for a fortepiano, the way she plays it. Cload is expressive yet very natural and tasteful. Thanks to Mandyka for bringing attention to her. It's illuminating.

Yes it's quite special stuff, I agree.

I just saw there's some Beethoven on YouTube - an Appassionata of all things - can't imagine what she makes of that one!