Bach Goldberg Variations

Started by Mystery, December 03, 2007, 10:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

Pierre Hantai on harpsichord, a relatively new recording, is excellent.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

hornteacher

I'm looking for a good recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations performed on a harpsichord.

George

Quote from: hornteacher on October 27, 2009, 05:46:45 PM
I'm looking for a good recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations performed on a harpsichord.

My first and only recording of these works on harpsichord was Gilbert on Harmonia Mundi. I later found out that his set is rated highly by reviewers. I think it's a great performance.

Samples Here (I think it's the same performance)

Buy here also

DarkAngel

I love the first Hantai/Opus 111, very natural and fluid technique and wonderful sounding instrument
There is a newer version by Hantai also, but I like his older version shown below:

I would love to hear a new Goldberg by Christophe Rousset for Ambroisie label, his other recent Bach work there is just amazing
using a very rich toned Ruckers harpsicord

Bulldog

My recommendations:

Hantai/Naive and Mirare - The earlier one (Naive) is highly exuberant, the Mirare more thought provoking.
Gilbert/Harmonia Mundi
Pinnock/Archiv
Vartolo/Tactus - loaded with rhythmic hesitations
Rousset/Decca
Leonhardt/Teldec and DHM
Ross/Virgin Veritas
Verlet/Astree

Que

Quote from: Bulldog on October 27, 2009, 08:56:19 PM
My recommendations:

Hantai/Naive and Mirare - The earlier one (Naive) is highly exuberant, the Mirare more thought provoking.
Gilbert/Harmonia Mundi
Pinnock/Archiv
Vartolo/Tactus - loaded with rhythmic hesitations
Rousset/Decca
Leonhardt/Teldec and DHM
Ross/Virgin Veritas
Verlet/Astree

I notice that Ottavio Dantone (Decca) and Céline Frisch (Alpha) have dropped off your shortlist? :)

Q

The new erato

I don't find that list especially short.

Drasko

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 27, 2009, 07:15:27 PM
I would love to hear a new Goldberg by Christophe Rousset for Ambroisie label,

Could you link to that, I can't find any reference to it.

Bulldog

Quote from: Que on October 27, 2009, 11:33:34 PM
I notice that Ottavio Dantone (Decca) and Céline Frisch (Alpha) have dropped off your shortlist? :)

Q

Just slightly behind my top recommendations.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Drasko on October 28, 2009, 05:15:24 AM
Could you link to that, I can't find any reference to it.

I was expressing a wish/request for new one to be released, does not exist currently........
his older Goldberg is available for Decca which I have, but his recent work for Ambroisie label is another level higher

Rousset has been very busy last few years with baroque opera performance......

SonicMan46

On harpsichord, I just own Rousset in the 4-CD box below; but I also enjoy Toth on the gut-strung harpsichord, the lautenwerk - would not recommend the latter as a sole disc to represent these works, but a pleasant complement - Don had an excellent review of Toth's performance HERE from 2003 - I could certainly pick up another disk on a 'regular' harpsichord -  :)

Opus106

What are these "wet" and "dry" sounds? (That's a question asked in all seriousness.) Could you describe it to me?
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

An edition for Moors and Christians.  ;D

I don't know this 3-CD set, but it seems sufficiently interesting to investigate a bit:

J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations BWV 988
World Premiere Critical Edition - Organ-Piano-Harpsichord

Pascal Vigneron (Organ) [Curt Schwenkedel Great Organ]; Dimitri Vassilakis (Piano) [Fazioli Piano]; Christine Auger (Harpsichord) [Antony Saide Harpsichord]

Quantum, 2008

3-CD set

Recorded at Cathedral of Toul, Lorraine, France.

World premiere recording with the three instruments tuned to Werckmeister III temperament. Planned for release in Nov 2009.

:)

premont

They seem to have made things like that before
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

A complete mystery:

LINK TO SOME SAMPLES [on "Discography & Criticals"]

P.S.: What a weird thing! This Pascal Vineron is a trumpetist and organist.

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 01, 2009, 07:19:20 AM
A complete mystery:

LINK TO SOME SAMPLES [on "Discography & Criticals"]

P.S.: What a weird thing! This Pascal Vineron is a trumpetist and organist.

I may be wrong, but I have got the feeling, that these interpretations are very far from HIP.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on November 01, 2009, 08:09:38 AM
I may be wrong, but I have got the feeling, that these interpretations are very far from HIP.

Me too, my dear friend.  :-\

DarkAngel

For some variation on harpsicord theme (plucked string - harp) I placed order for this CD................
Samples sound much lighter, airy, etherial comapred to harpsicord.......a clear boxless sound, anyone else try this?

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 24, 2009, 06:27:17 PM
For some variation on harpsicord theme (plucked string - harp) I placed order for this CD................
Samples sound much lighter, airy, etherial comapred to harpsicord.......a clear boxless sound, anyone else try this?

I also listened to the samples and am very impressed.