Charles Stanford

Started by Sean, December 03, 2007, 12:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I'm going to a seminar on Stanford tomorrow, not sure what it's about but looks like something to do with changing aesthetics in fin de siecle England: any thoughts on Stanford's work? How can I avoid asking questions that don't make it obvious he's a second-rate composer?

Montpellier

Quote from: Sean on December 03, 2007, 12:44:58 PM
I'm going to a seminar on Stanford tomorrow, not sure what it's about but looks like something to do with changing aesthetics in fin de siecle England: any thoughts on Stanford's work? How can I avoid asking questions that don't make it obvious he's a second-rate composer?
Perhaps start on the strength of him being a first rate composer.  Somewhat like Bantock, he suffered neglect until recently.  He taught Vaughan Williams at the Royal College.   His early symphonies have hints of Brahms (but are about as Brahmsian as Brahms is Beethovenian).  His Irish Rhapsodies are well-constructed, most pleasant.

Don

Quote from: Sean on December 03, 2007, 12:44:58 PM

Given your personality, don't ask any questions.  But listen carefully, and perhaps you'll change your mind about the man.

Sean

Quote from: Don on December 03, 2007, 01:59:02 PM
Given your personality, don't ask any questions.

Maybe good advice if I was a lot younger; when you're getting further into your time on stage though you're free to overact.

Don

Quote from: Sean on December 03, 2007, 02:03:29 PM
Maybe good advice if I was a lot younger; when you're getting further into your time on stage though you're free to overact.

But you always overact, and that's a problem for you.