Author Topic: Béla Bartók (1881-1945)  (Read 83977 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: Béla Bartók (1881-1945)
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
Happy birthday to a great composer. If I'd have known sooner I'd have listened to a lot more of his music. I'll try and get a couple of pieces in, though, and maybe a few tomorrow.

Right now, listening to the Hungarian Sketches for orchestra, w/ Fritz Reiner conducting. This is one of Bartók's most lighthearted works. It almost reminds me of certain English composers, a Delius or a Butterworth or some such. It has that kind of pastoral feel...

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »
Is there anyone else here who just can't get down with the CfO? I have tried it time and time again but I just don't find it engaging in any way, I'm sorry to say. I just listened now to the Reiner/Chicago and enjoyed it more than usual, though!

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2020, 05:48:39 PM »
Is there anyone else here who just can't get down with the CfO? I have tried it time and time again but I just don't find it engaging in any way, I'm sorry to say. I just listened now to the Reiner/Chicago and enjoyed it more than usual, though!

It's meant to be a showpiece.  I don't think there's any hidden depths in it.  Perhaps you expecting too much, and this is causing you to miss what the piece has to offer.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2020, 06:52:15 PM »
It's meant to be a showpiece.  I don't think there's any hidden depths in it.  Perhaps you expecting too much, and this is causing you to miss what the piece has to offer.

Well, I don't enjoy it as a showpiece, either; I find it quite boring, to tell the truth. I do like the third movement some. But thank you for your perspective. I'll try and drop my expectations even lower next time.  ;D

Online pjme

« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2020, 02:19:18 AM »
  I don't think there's any hidden depths in it. 

??? ??? ???
 For Bartók the work makes a gradual transition from the “severity of the first movement to the song of death in the third, and a reassertion of life in the finale.”