Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: aukhawk on December 20, 2020, 03:06:10 AM
Just not the Concerto for Orchestra, which I always hear as something of a musical blunt instrument.

I still have yet to fully appreciate this work and I realize how important it is within Bartók's oeuvre, but it's just not for me.

Jo498

I might not like the Concerto for orchestra as much as I used to (it must have been among the first Bartok pieces I encountered and was my favorite for some time) but I still like it a lot (more than the violin and certainly far more than the viola concerto), if not as much as Music for strings, percussion..., Divertimento or the piano concertos. In any case its popularity is quite understandable as it is as accessible as the 3rd piano concerto or divertimento and more brilliant ("orchestral spectacular").
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

Quote from: Jo498 on December 20, 2020, 07:33:24 AM
I might not like the Concerto for orchestra as much as I used to (it must have been among the first Bartok pieces I encountered and was my favorite for some time) but I still like it a lot (more than the violin and certainly far more than the viola concerto), if not as much as Music for strings, percussion..., Divertimento or the piano concertos. In any case its popularity is quite understandable as it is as accessible as the 3rd piano concerto or divertimento and more brilliant ("orchestral spectacular").

It is and Concerto for Orchestra attracts the top conductors and sound engineers of the day. I play the Reiner Chicago SO parodically to marvel at the precision of it all. This would be in my top ten of the greatest recordings ever made. I think there is an element, I can suffer from it myself, of rejecting the most popular work of a composer's opus. 

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 21, 2020, 01:16:19 AM
It is and Concerto for Orchestra attracts the top conductors and sound engineers of the day. I play the Reiner Chicago SO parodically to marvel at the precision of it all. This would be in my top ten of the greatest recordings ever made. I think there is an element, I can suffer from it myself, of rejecting the most popular work of a composer's opus.
Perhaps due to overexposure?   :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 21, 2020, 02:16:06 AM
Perhaps due to overexposure?   :-\

Possibly...But I would gladly see it performed more often. So that Dvoraks 9th, Mendelsohns 4th and Beethovens 5th and co.....and a whole bunch of violin & cello & pianoconcerti (Sibelius, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Tsjaikovsky, Rachmaninov and co)
would be banned for at least a year from the podium.

Jo498

In the case of the Bartok CfO I am wondering if most popular (orchestral) piece is still true. It's probably a lot closer with the solo concerti than a few decades ago and in the postwar era up to the mid-60s the 3rd piano concerto might have been more popular (certainly far easier to present by an orchestra not on the highest level), or a minor piece like the Dance suite.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

pjme

I agree. And I fear that Bartok in general is much less programmed than , say 10-15 years ago.
Most Bartok is perceived as difficult, I think. Many concert organisations try to draw in crowds with cross over and film music.

BasilValentine

Quote from: aukhawk on December 20, 2020, 03:06:10 AM
Just not the Concerto for Orchestra, which I always hear as something of a musical blunt instrument.

It's not really a concerto. It's an outstandingly good 20thc symphony. Better sharpen those ears. ;)

Brahmsian

First listen to Bartók's "Variations on a theme by F. F.", for solo piano.

Performed by Giuseppe Albanese.

From the complete Bartók Decca box set.

What a marvelous work!

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 27, 2021, 06:27:52 AM
First listen to Bartók's "Variations on a theme by F. F.", for solo piano.

Performed by Giuseppe Albanese.

From the complete Bartók Decca box set.

What a marvelous work!

I can't remember if I've heard this work or not. I'll check it out. Thanks for the alert, Ray.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2021, 06:38:12 AM
I can't remember if I've heard this work or not. I'll check it out. Thanks for the alert, Ray.

Disc 29!  :D

Mirror Image

Brian

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 27, 2021, 06:46:23 PM
FF = Ferenc Farkas?

I believe this is correct. Not much is known about the work Thema and Twelve Variations on a Theme by F.F.

pjme

Quote from: Brian on January 27, 2021, 06:46:23 PM
FF = Ferenc Farkas?

Bartok's composition Scherzo in B flat minor (1900) was composed during his early years of study and inspired by his love for his classmate Felicie Fábián. The opening motif, F–F–B flat–B flat, is based on their initials, F. F. and B. B..  Fabian and Bartok worked together closely as students, sharing notes and critiquing each other's compositions. The Scherzo in B flat minor is one of three pieces related to her, which also include a set of piano variations on a theme by her (B.B. 22). (15842)

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 28, 2021, 04:19:51 AM
Bartok's composition Scherzo in B flat minor (1900) was composed during his early years of study and inspired by his love for his classmate Felicie Fábián. The opening motif, F–F–B flat–B flat, is based on their initials, F. F. and B. B..  Fabian and Bartok worked together closely as students, sharing notes and critiquing each other's compositions. The Scherzo in B flat minor is one of three pieces related to her, which also include a set of piano variations on a theme by her (B.B. 22). (15842)

Most interesting. Thanks for this information, pjme.

pjme

I had my doubts about Farkas ....born in 1905, the variations written in 1900/1901.

Változatok F.F. egy témája fölött [Twelve Variations on a Theme of Felicie Fábián)] Date—1900–1901 Pub—in Denijs Dille, Der junge Bartók II.

I've never heard these early variations. Impressions?

Brahmsian

Quote from: pjme on January 28, 2021, 06:25:05 AM
I had my doubts about Farkas ....born in 1905, the variations written in 1900/1901.

Változatok F.F. egy témája fölött [Twelve Variations on a Theme of Felicie Fábián)] Date—1900–1901 Pub—in Denijs Dille, Der junge Bartók II.

I thought it to be a marvelous work by Bartók!

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 28, 2021, 06:25:05 AM

I have yet to listen to it. I've heard most of Bartók's solo piano works, but this is one that has slipped through the cracks. I hope to rectify this in tonight's listening session.

Herman

Quote from: pjme on December 21, 2020, 02:37:05 AM
Possibly...But I would gladly see it performed more often. So that Dvoraks 9th, Mendelsohns 4th and Beethovens 5th and co.....and a whole bunch of violin & cello & pianoconcerti (Sibelius, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Tsjaikovsky, Rachmaninov and co)
would be banned for at least a year from the podium.

well, basically every single note is banned from the concert podium now, thanks to Covid.

However, indeed, chances are that once concert life resumes the war horses will have grown even stronger...