Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 25, 2014, 06:00:05 PM
You think Bluebeard's Castle is just 'okay' and that Cantata Profana is 'so so,' it's okay we can still be friends. ;D
Well, I don't care much for opera or spoken (with words) vocal music (this may change in the future, of course). I have no idea why, but it's clear to me (and I'm sure to you  ;)) that the problem is with me and not with Bartok.

Quote from: Ken B on February 25, 2014, 06:05:51 PM
He also thinks James is a great guy who makes perfect sense.

>:D >:D  >:D >:D >:D >:D :laugh: >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D :blank:
:-\ Well, I learned some stuff about Stockhausen which was nice, even though I didn't enjoy the music ("sounds cool", as I believe I put it, doesn't at all imply "enjoyed as art"). Stockhausen was a fascinating man, nonetheless.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

NJ Joe

Quote from: EigenUser on February 24, 2014, 04:35:18 PM
I've only heard the "Dance of the Trees" from "The Wooden Prince" and I liked it; just not as much as other stuff. I should listen to the whole thing sometime, but it's an hour long which is off-putting for me. "The Miraculous Mandarin", on the other hand, I find absolutely thrilling!

May I recommend this:

I am a huge Bartok fan, and this is one of my favorites. Boulez conducts a moving, emotional (yes, emotional!), magical performance that at times seems almost impressionistic in style. The CSO plays magnificently, and the recording is excellent. A desert island disc.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

EigenUser

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 25, 2014, 06:30:46 PM
May I recommend this:

I am a huge Bartok fan, and this is one of my favorites. Boulez conducts a moving, emotional (yes, emotional!), magical performance that at times seems almost impressionistic in style. The CSO plays magnificently, and the recording is excellent. A desert island disc.
I was listening to this recording on YouTube and I liked it (more than "okay" or "so-so", MirrorImage  :P) ), but still not to the level that I like other Bartok. Definitely a good recording. I have "The Miraculous Mandarin" and "Dance Suite" from the same series. I love the cover art, too, for all of them!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

EigenUser

Has anyone read this book by Bela's 2nd son, Peter? I got this a couple of years ago and it is really nicely done. Nothing is in a particular order, rather, it's just some very touching reminiscing.
[asin]0964196123[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on February 25, 2014, 06:16:02 PM
Well, I don't care much for opera or spoken (with words) vocal music (this may change in the future, of course). I have no idea why, but it's clear to me (and I'm sure to you  ;)) that the problem is with me and not with Bartok.

Indeed, I'm just giving you a hard time. ;) ;D The only spoken words in Bluebeard's Castle are done at the beginning and this spoken introduction depends on whether the conductor wants to include it or not. Cantata Profana, to my knowledge, doesn't contain any spoken words. Everything is sung. I could be wrong of course.

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 25, 2014, 06:30:46 PM
May I recommend this:

+1

EigenUser

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 25, 2014, 06:49:49 PM
Indeed, I'm just giving you a hard time. ;) ;D The only spoken words in Bluebeard's Castle is done at the beginning and this spoken introduction depends on whether the conductor wants to include it or not. Cantata Profana, to my knowledge, doesn't contain any spoken words. Everything is sung. I could be wrong of course.
By spoken words I meant singing (I'm not talking about things like "A Survivor from Warsaw", which are literally spoken). I was differentiating between "lyrics" and voiced IPA sounds (i.e. Trois Nocturnes or Daphnis et Chloe). The only thing with lyrics that I like is "Sippal, Dobbal, Nadihegeduval". I'm sure my tastes will evolve over time to include other things as well, though.

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on February 25, 2014, 06:56:38 PM
By spoken words I meant singing (I'm not talking about things like "A Survivor from Warsaw", which are literally spoken). I was differentiating between "lyrics" and voiced IPA sounds (i.e. Trois Nocturnes or Daphnis et Chloe). The only thing with lyrics that I like is "Sippal, Dobbal, Nadihegeduval". I'm sure my tastes will evolve over time to include other things as well, though.

Slipping quietly through the Bartok crowd, the early music interloper sidled up to him with the preference for being unable to make out words rather than just abstract syllables and whispered but three words, renaissance Latin masses, before melting back into the throng.

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on February 25, 2014, 06:56:38 PM

I understand. Yes, as you mature, I'm sure you're tastes will change. Mine are in constant evolution. BTW, why did you have to mention that incredibly nonsensical, but so much fun Ligeti work Sippal, Dobbal, Nadihegeduval. Now I want to listen to it and it's all your fault! >:( ;D

EigenUser

Oh, what a shame, now you have to listen to Sippal Dobbal. I'll get you started:
EGY
HEGY
MEGY

;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on February 25, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
Oh, what a shame, now you have to listen to Sippal Dobbal. I'll get you started:
EGY
HEGY
MEGY

;D

:P

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on February 25, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
EGY   HEGY    MEGY

;D
This is very mature indeed  8)
thread duty: Listening to Sippal, dobbal, nádihegedüvel...

Hmm, perhaps you should try Janacek's Rikadla!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Really enjoying this set so far:

Does anyone else here own this set or the individual releases? Any opinion of it? I own some of Dorati's Bartok performances on Decca prior to getting this Mercury set and have always enjoyed what he brings to the table: completely sympathetic, energetic, and passionate interpretations.

pjme

last year, Belgo-Hungarian Levente Kende played all Bartok's pianomusic in recitals ( 3X ca 3 hours!)

This recent double cd has a fair selection .

Peter

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2014, 07:44:29 PM
Really enjoying this set so far:

Does anyone else here own this set or the individual releases? Any opinion of it? I own some of Dorati's Bartok performances on Decca prior to getting this Mercury set and have always enjoyed what he brings to the table: completely sympathetic, energetic, and passionate interpretations.

I have this set, and like you I owned two of the individual releases prior to this purchase.  While I probably prefer other individual performances of some of the works, as a whole, this is a solid set. There's passion in every performance, not a dud in the bunch. This set contains the only performance of the Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion that I own, and for me that was almost worth the price alone.  An excellent overview of the composer.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 27, 2014, 04:44:30 PM
I have this set, and like you I owned two of the individual releases prior to this purchase.  While I probably prefer other individual performances of some of the works, as a whole, this is a solid set. There's passion in every performance, not a dud in the bunch. This set contains the only performance of the Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion that I own, and for me that was almost worth the price alone.  An excellent overview of the composer.

This is what I'm finding out. There wasn't one bad performance on the first disc. Now onto the second disc...

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2014, 05:16:07 PM
This is what I'm finding out. There wasn't one bad performance on the first disc. Now onto the second disc...

After reading these posts I was inspired to listen to The Miraculous Mandarin from this set, and then all the others I own.  I was especially liking this one: 

How about you, MI? Heard this one? Which one(s) do you prefer? Of course, anyone else is welcome to chime in!
-David Byrne

North Star

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 01, 2014, 01:21:33 PM
After reading these posts I was inspired to listen to The Miraculous Mandarin from this set, and then all the others I own.  I was especially liking this one: 

How about you, MI? Heard this one? Which one(s) do you prefer? Of course, anyone else is welcome to chime in!
I think that John has heard it as probably as kittens have whiskers.. ;)
Dohnanyi is John's no. 1.

I'll need to revisit Dorati & Menuhin'sBartók - I have the VC1 / VaC / Rhapsodies disc on EMI (with Boulez in the Rhapsody No.1)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 01, 2014, 01:21:33 PM

Karlo (North Star) is correct is saying that Dohnanyi/VPO on Decca is my favorite Mandarin. There are, however, so many fine performances to choose from but I prefer not only the precision and articulation in the Dohnanyi performance but the VPO really cuts loose here and, to my ears, it really takes this performance to a completely other level altogether.

Other favorites: Boulez/NY Phil. (Sony), Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra (Philips)

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 01, 2014, 05:18:19 PM
Karlo (North Star) is correct is saying that Dohnanyi/VPO on Decca is my favorite Mandarin. There are, however, so many fine performances to choose from but I prefer not only the precision and articulation in the Dohnanyi performance but the VPO really cuts loose here and, to my ears, it really takes this performance to a completely other level altogether.

Other favorites: Boulez/NY Phil. (Sony), Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra (Philips)

Thanks, I will have to check out Dohnanyi.  I have Fischer and although it's considered by many to be one of the finest versions, I have yet to "get it" about the performance.
-David Byrne