Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 01, 2014, 05:38:37 PM
Thanks, I will have to check out Dohnanyi.  I have Fischer and although it's considered by many to be one of the finest versions, I have yet to "get it" about the performance.

Happy to oblige. 8)

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2014, 07:59:06 PM
Fricsay like Dorati is a natural for this but Anda was usually much more feminine a player. More a fit for 3 than 2 yet his 2 is ferpect. I loved his Mozart but like a little more firmness now. Anyway 2 is my favourite and this is my favourite 2.
Update. No longer own. Part of the great vinyl sell off.  :'(
I have trouble deciding if PC1 or PC2 is my favorite -- it is whatever one I'm listening to at the time. Anda/Fricsay is definitely my favorite of PC2, but I will be blunt in saying that they do a lousy job in PC1 (it really sounds under-rehearsed) except in the 2nd movement. The BBC takes the 2nd movement way too fast for my taste and I love Anda's interpretation here. My remedy? I made a playlist with PC1 with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movements played by BBC, Anda, and BBC, respectively. Quirky? Probably. But, it makes me happy :P.

As for PC2, I haven't heard a more magical version of the 2nd movement than the Anda/Fricsay.

Any opinions on the Violin Rhapsodies? Not necessarily recordings, but the compositions themselves?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 04, 2014, 04:49:46 AM
I have trouble deciding if PC1 or PC2 is my favorite -- it is whatever one I'm listening to at the time. Anda/Fricsay is definitely my favorite of PC2, but I will be blunt in saying that they do a lousy job in PC1 (it really sounds under-rehearsed) except in the 2nd movement. The BBC takes the 2nd movement way too fast for my taste and I love Anda's interpretation here. My remedy? I made a playlist with PC1 with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movements played by BBC, Anda, and BBC, respectively. Quirky? Probably. But, it makes me happy :P.

As for PC2, I haven't heard a more magical version of the 2nd movement than the Anda/Fricsay.

Any opinions on the Violin Rhapsodies? Not necessarily recordings, but the compositions themselves?
In 1 Bartok never really solved the problem of what to do with a folk melody once you've played it.
   Play it louder as RVW said. I see 1 as an encore piece but nothing more.
2 I like a lot more. It has the folk elements but doesn't have the strophic structure problem the other has.
Much more interesting.

Is that too pretentious a way to say 1 yawn, 2 I like? :)

EigenUser

No, I see what you mean. I like both of them and I've played the first rhapsody before. I think that the melody in the second part sounds a lot like the American folksong "Simple Gifts". The second rhapsody is definitely harder and more complicated (both musically and technically). I just started working on it when I stopped violin lessons. There would have definitely been some major obstacles that would have required a lot of dedication. The first one had some very difficult sections as well, but the second one was mostly a series of difficult sections.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Roberto

Quote from: EigenUser on February 25, 2014, 06:01:21 AM
As for "The Miraculous Mandarin", I do listen to the suite, but this only cuts out some stuff at the end. The reason is more superficial than musical, though: I like the loud, dramatic ending of the suite!
Loud ending is good but the ending of the full ballet is much more impressive for me.

QuoteI've heard from several sources that Bartok was highly interested in the music of Scarlatti.
It is true and actually there are recordings about Bartók plays Scarlatti.

EigenUser

So, tomorrow (March 25th) is Bartok's birthday. Any plans to celebrate?  :D

It falls conveniently on my parents' anniversary, so we'll be going out to dinner  :laugh: .

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 24, 2014, 05:53:05 AM
So, tomorrow (March 25th) is Bartok's birthday. Any plans to celebrate?  :D

It falls conveniently on my parents' anniversary, so we'll be going out to dinner  :laugh: .
Endless replays of the Shostakovich 7th are out I suppose?

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on March 24, 2014, 06:02:07 AM
Endless replays of the Shostakovich 7th are out I suppose?

Unless it's from the 4th movement of the CFO, of course.

Mirror Image

I suppose I could do some celebrating. I do have Kocsis' Hungaroton orchestral recordings still en route, so if I get them today or tomorrow, I'll definitely listen to some of the performances. If not, then I'll listen to something conducted by Fischer, Boulez, Solti, Dorati, etc. Lots to choose from here.

Mirror Image

Received this order in the mail today:

I've only heard the Rumanian Dances, Suite No. 2, Dance Suite disc so far and I thought it was so outstanding that these recordings may end up becoming my reference performances. It's too bad Kocsis didn't record The Miraculous Mandarin. I'm hoping this series isn't finished yet, but I have all the orchestral recordings so far. Really pleased with this purchase and this was part of my birthday splurge.

Roberto

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 24, 2014, 02:24:35 PM
I've only heard the Rumanian Dances, Suite No. 2, Dance Suite disc so far and I thought it was so outstanding that these recordings may end up becoming my reference performances. It's too bad Kocsis didn't record The Miraculous Mandarin. I'm hoping this series isn't finished yet, but I have all the orchestral recordings so far. Really pleased with this purchase and this was part of my birthday splurge.
:)
I hope you will be pleased with all of these recordings. I have the entire Bartók New Series released so far and these are truly reference recordings. My special favorites are the Wooden Prince, the two Suites, 2nd Violin Concerto. I like the good booklets also. The 2nd suite is full of power and lyricism. Unfortunately based on the news there was personal problems in the BNS committee and it is possible it will be unfinished.  :'(

Karl Henning

I don't think I realized before how well documented Bartók's face is, in photographs  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roberto on March 25, 2014, 05:23:05 AM
:)
I hope you will be pleased with all of these recordings. I have the entire Bartók New Series released so far and these are truly reference recordings. My special favorites are the Wooden Prince, the two Suites, 2nd Violin Concerto. I like the good booklets also. The 2nd suite is full of power and lyricism. Unfortunately based on the news there was personal problems in the BNS committee and it is possible it will be unfinished.  :'(

Absolutely agreed. The booklets are laid out great with loads of historical photos. That's a shame that the series won't get completed. :(

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2014, 05:24:01 AM
I don't think I realized before how well documented Bartók's face is, in photographs  ;)

:P

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bwv 1080

Quote from: James on April 21, 2014, 01:14:07 PM
Contents:
The Miraculous Mandarin, Op. 19, Sz. 73 (suite)
Duke Bluebeard's Castle, Sz. 48, Op. 11
Concerto for Orchestra, BB 123, Sz.116
The Wooden Prince
Dance Suite, BB 86, Sz. 77
3 Village Scenes, BB 87b, Sz. 79
Four Orchestral Pieces Op. 12 (Sz 51)
Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta, BB 114, Sz. 106

[asin]B00GZHRFDC[/asin]

Are the NY  Phil recordings worth the higher price than the DG Chicago set?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DZX958/ref=dm_ws_ps_cdp?ie=UTF8&qid=1398115798&s=music&sr=1-6

Todd

Quote from: bwv 1080 on April 21, 2014, 01:32:04 PMAre the NY  Phil recordings worth the higher price than the DG Chicago set?

No.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brahmsian

It's been awhile,  Béla.  Listening to my favourite Bartók disc:

Divertimento, Sz 113

Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, Sz106

Danses Populaires Roumaines, Sz56

[asin]B001DELXDU[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA