Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Joe

I've always enjoyed the quartets to a degree. In October, 2013, I saw the Tackacs Quartet perform the complete string quartets over two successive nights. Although my appreciation for them increased, I've never been able to achieve the "oneness" I attained with them during those performances. I've only been able to hint at it. It's frustrating, but I'm not giving up.

On a side note, I brought my then nine year old daughter to the second night.  She was so sweet and poised and charming and kind to me about the whole thing. I told her if she could get through them, she could get through anything.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on March 28, 2015, 02:15:37 PM
Bartók: Piano Concertos Nos 1, 2* & 3               Kovacevich/London SO/ BBC SO*/Colin Davis

Hmm, the second movement of Concerto No 2 was intriguing. However, I think I have to get used to Bartók's music... I kind of prefer when the piano is not involved in these concertos (kind of defeating the whole idea of it being a piano concerto)  and I simply want to take in the orchestra's performance on its own! Go figure! The Third Piano Concerto was definitely the one I attuned to the most. Perhaps it was more linked to the realm of romanticism and harmony than the other two?

I am now digging further into Bartók's work by serendipity so perhaps the Piano Concertos was not the best place to start? I'm glad that I finished with the 3rd concerto as it left a promising undertow in my mind. I do not really enjoy cacophony in my listening sessions and as a consequence I have avoided plenty of 20th century music. However, Bartók inspired me a few months ago with "Bluebeard's Castle" [A kékszakállú herceg vára], which I kept listening to over and over (the Sawallisch rendition). Great stuff!

I understand that the SQs are the ultimate gateway to Bartók? True?

[asin] B000SSPL12[/asin]

No, I don't agree that the SQs are some kind of gateway into Bartok's music. I think the Violin Sonatas get us much more closer to the man than the SQs IMHO. But my favorite Bartok are the orchestral works with particular highlights for me being Piano Concerti No. 2 & 3, Violin Concerto No. 2, Dance Suite, The Miraculous Mandarin, The Wooden Prince, Cantata Profana, Bluebeard's Castle, Divertimento, Hungarian Sketches, Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta, and more recently the Concerto for Orchestra, which, for some odd reason, is a work I had always struggled with, but after hearing the Boulez/NY Philharmonic performance on Columbia, my appreciation of the work skyrocketed.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2015, 06:15:25 AM
the Concerto for Orchestra, which, for some odd reason, is a work I had always struggled with, but after hearing the Boulez/NY Philharmonic performance on Columbia, my appreciation of the work skyrocketed.

That is an electrifying performance!

The Concerto for Orchestra has long been a favorite of mine. I first heard it, I believe, on a recording with Ozawa/Chicago.  Being familiar with it, I then saw the Detroit Symphony perform it with Dorati conducting back in the early 80's, and it imprinted on me.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 29, 2015, 06:27:37 AM
That is an electrifying performance!

The Concerto for Orchestra has long been a favorite of mine. I first heard it, I believe, on a recording with Ozawa/Chicago.  Being familiar with it, I then saw the Detroit Symphony perform it with Dorati conducting back in the early 80's, and it imprinted on me.

Yeah, it certainly deserves all the accolades attached to it. A masterwork for sure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on March 29, 2015, 06:31:09 AM
These little pieces are some of my favorites works.  Bartok is generally hit or miss with me but these works never fail to provide me with enjoyment.

I could have mentioned these smaller works like Three Village Scenes, Romanian Folk Dances, Two Portraits, etc. as I love these works as well.

Dancing Divertimentian

My two cents is the string quartets rock & roll. They may be my favorite Bartók. Now, my preferred set of the quartets is the Végh stereo set last seen on Naïve. Unfortunately it's low on exposure around here (Jens excepted) but should be sought out for those wondering what all the Bartók string quartet fuss is about.   

Also, MI made a good point about the violin sonatas - they're absolutely top-shelf as well.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Todd

Quote from: sanantonio on March 29, 2015, 08:20:20 AM
Faust is my current favorite in the sonatas. 

But I haven't really looked around for other soloists.  Any other suggestions?

One of the best Naxos releases I've heard.

Zsigmondy was one of Faust's teachers.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: sanantonio on March 29, 2015, 08:20:20 AM
Faust is my current favorite in the sonatas. 

But I haven't really looked around for other soloists.  Any other suggestions?

My only recordings are Kremer/Argerich in the first and Mutter/Orkis in the second. But both are exceptionally strong advocates. 

[asin]B00000613P[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

NJ Joe

Quote from: James on March 29, 2015, 06:30:46 AM
You haven't really experienced the SQs until you've heard the historic Juilliard 60s recordings. They are the absolute best out there, sound & performance. Highest recommendations if you haven't already.

Yes, I own the set. Haven't explored them in as much detail as the Tackacs, but I cranked the 2nd on the way home from work today and really enjoyed it.
-David Byrne

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2015, 02:48:51 PM
I am pretty sure I have the Kremer/Argerich from their box set.

[asin]B0000B09Z3[/asin]

It's been awhile since I last heard the Kremer/Argerich but I still remember the experience!

BTW, that ought to be one fine set. I have the duo in Beethoven's sonatas, Prokofiev's sonatas, and the disc I posted above. Fine, fine stuff.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2015, 02:48:51 PM
I am pretty sure I have the Kremer/Argerich from their box set.

[asin]B0000B09Z3[/asin]

You remind me, I have yet to give anything from this set a spin. So much music, so little time.

premont

Quote from: karlhenning on November 05, 2011, 07:42:05 PM
Not at all the case for me, BTW. The Concerto for Orchestra probably was the first Bartók work I heard — and thus, perforce, for a period the only Bartók work I heard for some period — and it fired my imagination to wish to hear more of his work.

Well, a somewhat late comment, but the first Bartok I ever heard (except for some of the pieces of For Children which my piano teacher wanted me to play) was at a concert with Ferenc Fricsay conducting the Danish Radio symphony orchestra in the Concerto for orchestra. Even for a child like me this experience was completely unforgettable and hooked me on Bartok for good. And I still consider the Concerto for orchestra one of his major works.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

Without a doubt the Concerto for Orchestra is a major work. Although it seems that because it is so immediately appealing it put some other works that are probably even greater (Music for strings, percussion...) somewhat in the shade, similar with the 3rd piano concerto vs. the first two.

The first Bartok piece I remember was when our music teacher in ca. 8th grade (it was a few years before I got seriously interested in classical music) played a record of the string divertimento (or at least the finale) and we were supposed to follow with a pocket score!!! I would have had no chance but for my friend who sat beside me and we used one score together (he played the piano).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sergeant Rock

For me Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra was also the first Bartok I ever heard...but only the fourth movement, Intermezzo interrotto. Allegretto. It was on a Columbia Szell/Cleveland sampler LP, heard circa 1968.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Fritz Reiner's performance of Concerto for Orchestra was my introduction to Bartok.

Karl Henning

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 02, 2016, 01:05:57 PM
Well, a somewhat late comment, but the first Bartok I ever heard (except for some of the pieces of For Children which my piano teacher wanted me to play) was at a concert with Ferenc Fricsay conducting the Danish Radio symphony orchestra in the Concerto for orchestra. Even for a child like me this experience was completely unforgettable and hooked me on Bartok for good. And I still consider the Concerto for orchestra one of his major works.

Very nice!

And I am not surprised that so many of us heard the Concerto for Orchestra first of any Bartók work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Quote from: karlhenning on February 03, 2016, 06:40:26 AM
Very nice!

And I am not surprised that so many of us heard the Concerto for Orchestra first of any Bartók work.
Count me in...I am almost sure that the Concerto for orchestra was my first Bartók as well. And who opened that door for me? You probably guessed it:

bwv 1080

Anyone under 50 or so probably heard Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste in The Shining as their first Bartok exposure

EigenUser

Quote from: bwv 1080 on February 03, 2016, 07:42:20 AM
Anyone under 50 or so probably heard Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste in The Shining as their first Bartok exposure
It was the other way around for me! I found The Shining because of Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta. I am not a big movie person, but I do like that movie. It also features Ligeti's Lontano and a lot of early Penderecki.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

I too saw The Shining well after discovering Bartók. But statistically that statement is true for the overwhelming majority - who probably don't bother to hear anything else by him, either.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr