Béla Bartók (1881-1945)

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I saw "Shining" at some stage on TV but long after 9th grade and probably also long after I had heard quite a bit of Bartok. But I do not remember whether I knew "Music for..." when I saw Shining and whether I recognized it or not.

I think I DID recognize the bit they used in "Being John Malkovich" (which I saw ca. 2000 in the cinema), in one of the first scenes with the puppeteer. So by then I knew it well enough to recognize it.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Maestro267

I finally got a recording of the three Piano Concertos yesterday. All are fascinating works, with percussion prominent in the first two. The strings at the start of 'No. 2: II' are wonderfully mysterious and eerie.

premont

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 09, 2016, 01:37:50 AM
I finally got a recording of the three Piano Concertos yesterday. All are fascinating works, with percussion prominent in the first two. The strings at the start of 'No. 2: II' are wonderfully mysterious and eerie.

Well, Jando (the one you got) is solid and reliable in these concertos IMO, but you ought to try some others e.g. Anda or Schiff.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Which recording?

premont

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 09, 2016, 06:55:16 AM
Which recording?

Jando as Maestro posted in the "purchase" thread (post 13280).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 09, 2016, 08:07:22 AM
Jando as Maestro posted in the "purchase" thread (post 13280).

I've heard of this recording, and seen it, but don't know much about it or quality of the performances. I do know one thing, though, and that is the Schiff/Fischer recording is absolutely stunning from start to finish, but we're really spoilt for choices in these PCs. For a long time, Ashkenazy/Solti were my reference performances, but then I heard the team of Zimerman/Andsnes/Grimaud with Boulez at the helm and I was incredibly impressed. Schiff/Fischer really helped me cement my love of these concerti.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 09, 2016, 03:52:00 AM
Well, Jando (the one you got) is solid and reliable in these concertos IMO, but you ought to try some others e.g. Anda or Schiff.

I'm a big fan of Kocsis/Fischer. Great excitement and insight (and loaded with color). OOP but still available on the Amazon marketplace.

Also Katchen/Kertész for the third (currently available in the Decca Kertész box).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

premont

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 09, 2016, 08:28:54 AM
I've heard of this recording, and seen it, but don't know much about it or quality of the performances. I do know one thing, though, and that is the Schiff/Fischer recording is absolutely stunning from start to finish, but we're really spoilt for choices in these PCs. For a long time, Ashkenazy/Solti were my reference performances, but then I heard the team of Zimerman/Andsnes/Grimaud with Boulez at the helm and I was incredibly impressed. Schiff/Fischer really helped me cement my love of these concerti.

As I wrote above I find Jando's Bartok concertos solid and reliable, but prefer Schiff and Anda. Another to consider is György Sandor (the Vox recordings preferable to the Sony recordings despite at times perfunctory orchestral contribution). Ashkenazy seems in my ears cold and uninvolved. And similarly I do not warm to Kocsis' concertos. His Bartok solo piano recordings are more involving, even if I here prefer Sandor and Foldes.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on February 09, 2016, 09:27:31 AM
I'm a big fan of Kocsis/Fischer. Great excitement and insight (and loaded with color). OOP but still available on the Amazon marketplace.

Also Katchen/Kertész for the third (currently available in the Decca Kertész box).

I own the third with Katchen/Ansermet  - rather unmemorable. Have not heard Katchen/Kertész.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Daverz

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 09, 2016, 01:38:02 PM
I own the third with Katchen/Ansermet  - rather unmemorable. Have not heard Katchen/Kertész.

And I've not heard the Ansermet recording, but from the reviews I've read, Katchen/Ansermet is indeed inferior to Katchen/Kertesz, which is also my favorite Bartok PC3.

Parsifal

The Andras Schiff recordings are my reference in these works.

Turner

Of course, enjoy the recording and getting acquainted in depth with these rich and varied works - a process that in itself will take a good deal of time. So no real need searching for more recordings now, I think :)

The Concerto for Orchestra was also my first encounter with the composer, I think it was due to my local library having a copy of Szell´s recording on a cassette, which as far as I remember has cuts in the Finale. I then heard Ancerl´s, but found that it didn´t have quite so much momentum in the finale, and various recordings of the piano concertos, including Ashkenazy and Kovacevich. Since then, I acquired other versions, which I now prefer.

Rons_talking

My friend had tickets for the LA Phil., so we went in spite of my having a terrible cold. My fever was spiking as the music began. After a forgettable opening, the Bartok 3rd PC followed. I recall feeling absolutely miserable throughout the concert, but I made a mental note that the slow movement was gorgeous. I couldn't enjoy it that night (my friend also loved the work) but I bought and played the LP until it was worn-out.  Music for Strings P and C was on the flip side and that too became a favorite (big surprise).

Maestro267

Quote from: Turner on February 09, 2016, 10:11:10 PM
Of course, enjoy the recording and getting acquainted in depth with these rich and varied works - a process that in itself will take a good deal of time. So no real need searching for more recordings now, I think :)

This. I realise it's probably a topic for another thread, but I prefer to spend my money on music I don't have than another recording of a piece I've already heard.

chung

My introduction to Bartók was Nimbus' recording with Adam Fischer conducting some "lighter" pieces based on folk music.

It took me a while to warm up to them since I had grown used to the Slavonic Dances and "Hungarian" works by Brahms and Liszt. However Nimbus' disc grew on me and afterwards I borrowed a copy of Dutoit's recording of the Concerto for Orchestra and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, and from then on was pretty much sold on a lot of Bartók's music. I still can't get up much for the string quartets or works for stage.

Nowadays as my first choice I spin Jandó/Ligeti for the piano concertos, Reiner/CSO for the Concerto for Orchestra & MSPC, and Kocsis, Sándor or Jandó for solo piano music. I'm less picky with the other works (e.g. Rhapsodies, violin concerti, viola concerto, duos).

Mirror Image

I have always found Dutoit just too soft-edged for Bartok. Even Boulez, especially in the DG recordings with his x-ray googles on, has more bite and viciousness in his interpretations than Dutoit.

chung

Well, I have moved on in my tastes for performers of Bartók's music. Reiner's recording with the CSO on RCA Living Stereo has been my pick for the CofO and MSPC for a long time and has relegated Dutoit's recording to something like a footnote in being the one that introduced me to those works even further in the past.

Mirror Image

Quote from: chung on February 17, 2016, 08:05:56 PM
Well, I have moved on in my tastes for performers of Bartók's music. Reiner's recording with the CSO on RCA Living Stereo has been my pick for the CofO and MSPC for a long time and has relegated Dutoit's recording to something like a footnote in being the one that introduced me to those works even further in the past.

Ah yes, well, coincidently, Reiner's recording was my introduction to Bartok and is still, IMHO, outstanding. It should be noted that Hungarian Sketches is also on this recording.

Brahmsian

I cannot wait to get the complete Bartók set on Decca label.  I realize that to date, I have heard at most, about 2 dozen of Bela's compositions!  :)

Linked through Amazon for the picture, but ordered through Presto Classical.

[asin]B01A72FXH0[/asin]

Out of what I have heard so far, my 5 favourite might be:

String Quartet # 4
Piano Concerto # 3 (or # 2)
Divertimento for Strings
Music for strings, percussion and celesta
The Wooden Prince

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 08, 2016, 11:03:39 AM
I cannot wait to get the complete Bartók set on Decca label.  I realize that to date, I have heard at most, about 2 dozen of Bela's compositions!  :)

Linked through Amazon for the picture, but ordered through Presto Classical.

[asin]B01A72FXH0[/asin]

Out of what I have heard so far, my 5 favourite might be:

String Quartet # 4
Piano Concerto # 3 (or # 2)
Divertimento for Strings
Music for strings, percussion and celesta
The Wooden Prince

No love for The Miraculous Mandarin, Ray? What about Bluebeard's Castle or Violin Concerto No. 2? I'd be interested in seeing a complete list of all the Bartok works you've heard (just out of my own curiosity).