Author Topic: Franz Berwald....Wow!  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: Franz Berwald....Wow!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 05:18:20 AM »
In the 15th year of this thread, I think we can say that, yes, Berwald is THAT good.

Offline DaveF

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
Although the general opinion seems to be that even Schubert couldn't do opera, although the overtures are similarly delightful.

Just found this, which may be worth investigating: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8021848--berwald-estrella-di-soria

(There's no indication that this isn't the complete opera, although at 70 minutes it seems very short.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 01:57:22 PM »
Interesting, didn't know about that CD.

Offline classicalgeek

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Anything from Baroque to the present day - but orchestral music written after about 1880 is my "sweet spot"!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »
The overture to Drottningen av Golconda is so good that I would love to hear the whole opera, but as you say, no way of doing so.  (Of course, the rest of it could be not so good - there's usually some valid reason why a composer's operas don't gain a place in the repertoire.)

I see a couple of the opera overtures have had recordings too - either I haven't heard them, or I have, but they didn't 'stick with me'. I'll need to give them a listen!

Although the general opinion seems to be that even Schubert couldn't do opera, although the overtures are similarly delightful.

Just found this, which may be worth investigating: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8021848--berwald-estrella-di-soria

(There's no indication that this isn't the complete opera, although at 70 minutes it seems very short.)

I don't think that's the entire opera - there's a complete vocal score on IMSLP (https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/237883/hfjn), and if you attempt to match the track listings from the CD with the scenes from the opera, you'll see some are excluded. So I guess it's a 'highlights' collection rather than the complete opera. Still, given the rarity of Berwald's operas in recordings, this is a valuable contribution!
So much great music, so little time...

Offline DaveF

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »
I see a couple of the opera overtures have had recordings too - either I haven't heard them, or I have, but they didn't 'stick with me'. I'll need to give them a listen!

I don't think that's the entire opera - there's a complete vocal score on IMSLP...

The Drottningen av Golconda overture is lovely - some rather William Tell-ish divisi celli at the start and a second subject starting with a leap of a 9th which once heard (by me, anyway) has never been forgotten.  And good detective work matching score of Estrella to recording - I did wonder how Act 3, from the synopsis given on Wikipedia involving storms at sea, escapes, curses, rescues and suicides, could all fit into 18 minutes.

And the same Wikipedia article mentions a CD of extended excerpts - that'll be it, then.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 10:01:41 AM by DaveF »
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison