what's your favorite national anthem?

Started by маразм1, December 07, 2007, 05:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: MN Dave on December 08, 2007, 05:15:32 AM
I vote for this as the new anthem for the US.
yeah, that'd be better than the current one.

BachQ

c#minor

The french have it right. Very good little tune.

Reading this thread also clued me in on that i only knew 1/4 of my national anthem. Well no worries, it isn't all that good anyways.

Iago

It isn't currently the US National Anthem. The SSB, comes in a far second to "God Bless America" Especially as sung by Kate Smith

Composer:
Irving Berlin, 1918; revised 1938
                                   Spoken Introduction:
While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above
From the mountains To the prairies,
To the ocean white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.

What an amazing song! Isn't it wonderful that we have been so lucky to be connected with people who are able to put to words our deepest thoughts and emotions? Irving Berlin was truly inspired. Close your eyes and listen to his message. Does it not touch your soul? Can't you just see crashing waves- the majesty of the mountains? All of the beautiful people working every day, alive and free because of the dream of our beloved Founding Fathers?

As this song is being broadcast throughout the world on various occasions, there is this incredible overwhelming desire to jump up and sing with all the energy of the soul, knowing that if we did, the choirs of Heaven would be singing right along with us! Our people love our country, our Lord loves our country, and as long as we continue to fight for our gift of love and freedom, we will continue to enjoy the blessings of this, our sacred nation.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

M forever

Quote from: Iago on December 10, 2007, 12:34:58 AM
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.

God bless America, land that I love

Completely inappropriate for a country which is (at least in theory) secular and guarantees freedom of religion (or the freedom not to to have one). The Star Spangled Banner, no matter what the origin of its tune, is much better, and a song which reflects an actual and critical historical event in US history. The above "God Bless America" is just empty kitsch.

Interesting to see Iago is so receptive to this kind of kitsch. And he works so hard to present himself as a hard-boiled cynic here  ;D

Florestan

The words of MOST national anthems are pure crap and propaganda, La Marseillaise being the winner, but when it comes to the music itself, my favourite is Italy.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

M forever

What counts is not the quality of the text, but the authenticity of the text and song taken together and that they have some real connection to events or situations which are relevant and/or decisive in the history of the given country. In that respect, the Marseillaise indeed probably is the winner, however great (or not) the text is as a piece of literature.

sidoze

Italian by far. It's so much fun to sing

Florestan

Quote from: M forever on December 10, 2007, 01:39:42 AM
What counts is not the quality of the text, but the authenticity of the text and song taken together and that they have some real connection to events or situations which are relevant and/or decisive in the history of the given country.

Agreed in principle, but... Cara al sol and Horst-Wessel-Lied meet these requirements and yet...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

M forever

But not in a positive context and not with a positive association. I can't believe I have to point that out.

tab

Germany and Italy - as the works of the great composers.

Soviet Union - as the anthem of Motherland

B_cereus

To me, La Marseillaise is reminiscent of the 1st movement of Mozart's 25th piano concerto K503

c#minor

God Bless America is at first the best choice for the US national anthem. But as pointed out by M Forever, the whole religion deal. I am not a religious man at all but i still love God Bless America if that counts for anything.

Iago

Quote from: M forever on December 10, 2007, 12:42:51 AM
. The Star Spangled Banner, no matter what the origin of its tune, is much better,  The above "God Bless America" is just empty kitsch.

That's YOUR opinion. And it must be shared by some others as well. GBA may be "kitsch", but it certainly isn't empty and expresses the pride in being an American.Since 9/11 GBA has been sung during the 7th inning stretch of every MLB game played in the US. Various rock groups, talentless teen performers and idols of the "in" crowd have so distorted and bastardized the words and rhythms of the SSB that it is a mockery of an anthem in the hands and throats of those so called "musicians".  NOBODY ever trifles with "God Bless America". It's too beautiful and heartfelt to be sullied by so called "contemporary musicians".
With the latest proclamations of the Presidential candidates of both major political parties, placing emphasis on how much their "faith in God" has steered them towards what they hope will be victory in Nov 2008, I don't think that any reference to "God" in a National Anthem is inappropriate or constitutionally prohibited.

THATS' MY OPINION.

MishaK

Quote from: Iago on December 10, 2007, 11:16:50 AM
Various rock groups, talentless teen performers and idols of the "in" crowd have so distorted and bastardized the words and rhythms of the SSB that it is a mockery of an anthem in the hands and throats of those so called "musicians".  NOBODY ever trifles with "God Bless America". It's too beautiful and heartfelt to be sullied by so called "contemporary musicians".

That's not because it's better, it's because it's easier. GBA is a much simpler tune than SSB. By your standard, virtuoso pieces are worse than simple tunes because they are easier to screw up.

Quote from: Iago on December 10, 2007, 11:16:50 AM
With the latest proclamations of the Presidential candidates of both major political parties, placing emphasis on how much their "faith in God" has steered them towards what they hope will be victory in Nov 2008, I don't think that any reference to "God" in a National Anthem is inappropriate or constitutionally prohibited.

Those are two different issues. A presidential candidate is certainly free to discuss his/her personal faith. (Though whether it is wise to do so is a different question.) But the government cannot constitutionally endorse or support a religion (any religion) through official government acts, such as adopting an official national anthem that references a "god". So what the candidates are doing is not unconstitutional, but GBA as a national anthem would be subject to constitutional challenge.

Iago

Quote from: O Mensch on December 10, 2007, 01:38:10 PM
That's not because it's better, it's because it's easier. GBA is a much simpler tune than SSB. By your standard, virtuoso pieces are worse than simple tunes because they are easier to screw up.

Simple tunes are automatically disqualified from being National Anthems??
Gee, I didn't know that. Much better of course to have a monstrosity like the SSB. It's complexity must suit you to a tee.
You call yourself a "Mensch?  According to the Yiddish usage of the word, you have a long ways to go to be a "Mensch"

MishaK

Quote from: Iago on December 10, 2007, 03:07:56 PM
Simple tunes are automatically disqualified from being National Anthems??
Gee, I didn't know that. Much better of course to have a monstrosity like the SSB. It's complexity must suit you to a tee.
You call yourself a "Mensch?  According to the Yiddish usage of the word, you have a long ways to go to be a "Mensch"

I never said anything about "disqualification" of GBA on the grounds of its simplicity. I merely contradicted your argument that GBA is the better song because it gets messed up less frequently. The reason it gets messed up less frequently is because it is easier to sing. I don't know that this in and of itself makes it a "better" anthem. You have a long way to go to attain adequate reading comprehension skills, Cuddles.  ;)

c#minor

Sorry Iago you lose. GOD bless america. It's just not going to happen. Good song with good lyrics, yes it is but unfortunately the word GOD is in the title as well as the refrain. Too bad, so sad. And yes politicians use references to God all the time. That is unfortunate because politicians are scum and have no god but power. It's used, unfortunately, to sway religious people to vote for them regardless of their policies or qualifications. I have heard many times in my family something to the effect of, "Well i am voting for him, he not afraid to tell people he's a Christian." Hook, line and sinker...... they bit it all. Unfortunately as well, "religious" politicians tend be all show and no game. Though you can't blame them, it is easy to benefit of the ignorance of others.

I would be up for a different anthem then the god forsaken SSB.

Mozart

I like Mexico's, but i think it was written by a Spanish guy. I actually don't know that many national anthems.

lukeottevanger

Czech national anthem. A beautiful one, and very Czech-sounding. Nice tourist-friendly YouTube video, this one - feel your blood stirred!  ;D