what's your favorite national anthem?

Started by маразм1, December 07, 2007, 05:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Copeland

France, then the Italian National Anthem.
Och aye the noo,etc... :o

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: beer on June 19, 2008, 03:22:25 PMAnd least it does not try to somehow glorify the Dutch people like so many anthems do for their own people.
What do you think about this then? :)

QuoteO Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter thine enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

I reckon this will soon be declared as illegal by the european community ;) OK, not an official anthem, but "God save the Queen"

Marc

Another vote for:
Auferstanden von Ruinen und der Zukunft zugewandt / Lass uns dir zum Guten dienen, Deutschland einig Vaterland.

When watching sport, I always supported the drug-addicted ladies from the former DDR. How I loved Kornelia Ender, Marita Koch, Karin Enke, Heike Drechsler, Gritt Breuer, Katrin Krabbe! They went, filled with all-natural goodies, for glory and gold, just to let me hear that beautiful tune again and again!

;D

BTW: Sarge, I liked your version, too! To give other members a reminder, his translation of the DDR anthem dates from december 14th 2007, reply no. 50.

M forever

Quote from: Marc on June 19, 2008, 09:49:18 PM
When watching sport, I always supported the drug-addicted ladies from the former DDR. How I loved Kornelia Ender, Marita Koch, Karin Enke, Heike Drechsler, Gritt Breuer, Katrin Krabbe! They went, filled with all-natural goodies, for glory and gold, just to let me hear that beautiful tune again and again!

You may think that's hilariously funny, but the reality is that there are some very sad fates behind all that, the way those athletes were treated and abused in the former Eastern Block.

Marc

Quote from: M forever on June 19, 2008, 11:52:48 PM
You may think that's hilariously funny, but the reality is that there are some very sad fates behind all that, the way those athletes were treated and abused in the former Eastern Block.

Nothing new about that.
In fact, there are some very sad stories and fates behind almost everything.
For instance: I think that you are hilariously funny, although the reality might be that there is a very sad story behind it, given the way you sometimes like to treat and abuse other members around here.

Marc

Well M, because you showed yourself in such a sensitive way, I gave it another thought.

Top sport is not healthy. Even in the so-called free world.

Tommy Simpson wasn't from the DDR.
Michael Rasmussen isn't, either.
Nor are Muhammad Ali and Marion Jones.

A lot of football (soccer) players remain injured for the rest of their lives (knees, ankles, heads, whatever). Van Basten, now manager, is happily jumping after the Dutch score a goal, but his ankle is ruined. He had to quit football before he turned 30.

Not to mention the bodybuilders, powerlifters, etc.

These people play dangerous risks to win their trophy's, golden medals or yellow jerseys, for their and for our sake. They feel satisfied and happy after victory, and we celebrate them, and ask for their autographs afterwards. Their anthems are played, and the sponsors pay them and want more victories.

It looks something like real life, doesn't it?

Attached: former shot-putting champion Heidi Krieger (first pic), now Andreas Krieger (second pic), thanks to the tons of pills she swallowed.
Certainly I enjoyed the DDR Anthem after her victories, as she probably did at the time, too. Silver, bronze and fourth place were not allowed to listen to their anthems. Some of these losers got deeply frustrated after continuing years of second places, because somewhere deep inside their and our heads we knew about the truth, but technology wasn't that accurate and nothing of dope usage could be proved.
In fact, a sad story for all of us: both sportsmen (and women! Sorry Stan: and women) and spectators.

:-\

But making fun of sad things should be allowed, IMO. It's also allowed to laugh or not to laugh about it. You won't hear me say that I'm the funniest man around. At least I'm certain I wouldn't get your vote.
But I won't write to the Monty Python team that it is NOT funny to make jokes about the problems of Stan, who wants to be called Loretta, just because people like him suffer a sad fate in real life.

Should we therefore forbid the broadcast of Life of Brian?
Maybe Heidi/Andreas Krieger has got some thoughts about that.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

The DDR national Anthem is may favourite anthem, because it does not exist any more. I had relatives in the former DDR. DDR soldiers treated us as scum at the national border. Always. Sometimes we had to completely clear out the car.

Today they often say: Hey that was normal business as everywhere.

It was not. This was special "Klassenfeind" treatment. Go to antarctica, dear former IMs, Blockwarte and "verdiente Genossen", go with your SED successor party to Antarctica and build a new DDR there.

Marc

Quote from: Wurstwasser on June 20, 2008, 11:51:53 PM
The DDR national Anthem is may favourite anthem, because it does not exist any more. I had relatives in the former DDR. DDR soldiers treated us as scum at the national border. Always. Sometimes we had to completely clear out the car.

Today they often say: Hey that was normal business as everywhere.

It was not. This was special "Klassenfeind" treatment. Go to antarctica, dear former IMs, Blockwarte and "verdiente Genossen", go with your SED successor party to Antarctica and build a new DDR there.

Reminds me of a scene from Die zweite Heimat, by Edgar Reitz. Western German film director Stefan Aufhauser (Frank Röth) has to pay a large amount of money for a minor incident of speeding.
I remember quotes like: "Scheissland!" (Aufhauser) and "Seien Sie nicht frech!" (DDR police officer).
In other words: Reitz was spot on!